Monday, March 23, 2009

Opry Country Classics

This Thursday March 26th, the Grand Ole Opry starts their Thursday night Opry Country Classics shows. Looking at the line-up for this week, they have Larry Gatlin as the host and he will be appearing along with Jim Ed Brown, The Whites, Chris Young, Mandy Barnett, Del McCoury, Jack Greene, Lorrie Morgan and Loretta Lynn. This is a 2 hour show that starts at 7:00. I will say that this looks like a pretty strong line-up to start off this series. With 9 artists scheduled, it looks like each of them will perform for about 10 minutes. It will be interesting to see if the quality continues in the coming weeks. It will also be interesting to see if the Opry management will use this show as a reason to move some of the classic Opry legends off of the weekend shows and use them on the Thursday night show. I have not heard anything to that affect but we will be watching. Although you cannot classify Chris Young or Mandy Barnett as legends, I am sure that they will be performing legendary songs, which in the case of Mandy Barnett will mean Patsy Cline songs. I wish the Opry good luck with these shows and I hope that they are well attended.

3 comments:

  1. I won't be able to hear the first one, darn it! But I have to say, as long as the legends are not being ignored, I am not really going to complain if they happen to be featured more here than on the Friday and Saturday night shows. I am curious about the format because Gatlin is considered THE host, which is not how the Opry usually operates for a two-hour show--and what should make it more interesting is that Larry loves to talk, so they might need a hook to get him offstage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment and the look. Please feel free to tell any Opry fans you know about the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping to listen to Country Classics on Thursday. I've been having trouble with there streaming since they made there changes.

    ReplyDelete