Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Grand Ole Opry Line-Up-November 13 & 14

Here is this week's Grand Ole Opry Line-Ups:

Friday November 13
7:00: Ricky Skaggs(host); Jean Shepard; The Whites
7:30: Jimmy Dickens(host); Connie Smith; Joe Diffie
8:00: Mike Snider(host); Jeannie Seely; Jim Ed Brown; Steve Wariner
8:30: Bill Anderson(host); The Band Perry; Josh Turner

Saturday November 14
First Show
7:00: Jimmy Dickens(host); Connie Smith; Jim Ed Brown
7:30: Bill Anderson(host); Jean Shepard; Mike Snider; Opry Square Dancers
8:00; Carrie Underwood; Jake Owen; Martina McBride; Rodney Atkins

Second Show
9:30: Jimmy Dickens(host); The Whites; Jack Greene; Martina McBride
10:00: Mike Snider(host); Jan Howard; Jimmy C. Newman; Carrie Underwood
10:30: Jeannie Seely(host); Jean Shepard; Rodney Atkins; Opry Square Dancers
11:00: Bill Anderson(host); Jesse McReynolds & The Virginia Boys; Jake Owen

Comments and Observations:
>The 8:00 segment will be simulcast lie at MySpace Music. I have not heard if they will have a host/announcer/mc for that segment, which I assume they will, unless Pete Fisher decides to have Carrie Underwood as the host.
>I do hate to see that 1 hour segment on a two hour show. Observing it in person, it just feels as if the first hour is a warm up to the second hour and there seems to be a disconnect between those two sections of the show. By that, it seems as if the last hour is more of a "made for tv" production than a part of the radio show. Also, only 10 acts for the first show.
>That said, the second show on Saturday has a very strong line-up of acts. The first show is basically sold out while the second show has some tickets available in the wings.
>Say what you will about Carrie Underwood being an Opry member, but so far, she has been making appearances on the show. She will end up the year at the 10 appearances they have asked of new members, which is more than many Opry members.
>Jesse McReynolds is the host of the Ernest Tubb Midnight Jamboree after the Opry on Saturday night.
>In the upcoming weeks, there is an impressive group of Opry stars who will be appearing on the Opry. Between now and Christmas, Ralph Stanley, Charlie Daniels, Rhonda Vincent, Dierks Bentley, Trisha Yearwood, Charley Pride, Trace Adkins, Marty Stuart, Ricky Skaggs, Emmylou Harris and Ronnie Milsap will all be making appearances.
>Finally, Jack Greene has a link on his website to sign a petition for him to be elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame. Next year's class should be announced sometime in January. I know a couple of the voters and I am trying to get a list of the finalists in each category. Regarding Jack, I have mixed feelings regarding him and the Hall of Fame. He has had a very nice career in country music and has a great voice. I think he has had 9 #1 records, which is a decent number. But, at the same time, I think there are others of his generation that are more deserving than him and have been overlooked. I think of Jean Shepard, Jim Ed Brown, Teddy and Doyle Wilburn, Dottie West, Jimmy Dean and a few others who I think might have a stronger resume and I think would require more serious consideration than Jack. But, if he were to be elected some day, I don't think that it would be a bad thing. At best, he would be a long shot. The problem is that there is a backlog of deserving candidates and with only 1 or 2 being elected each year, I am afraid only a few will ever achieve the recognition that they deserve. There has been a petition for the Wilburn Brothers for a couple of years now and I wish Jack Greene and his petition drive lots of luck.

1 comment:

  1. I love Jack Greene, but I feel as you do. Also, I have a little problem with campaigning, especially by the candidate. If other people want to promote him, fine, but to be involved in it himself, I don't really like.

    I share your view of who should be getting it. It's a crime that Jean Shepard isn't in there, and the more I think about Jim Ed Brown, the more I think he belongs. So do the others you mentioned.

    I also think the one-hour segment throws the show out of whack, especially now that it's only a two-hour show anyway. But I bow toward Carrie Underwood--she is fulfilling her obligations, which is more than I can say for almost every other member under the age of 40 and some of them over.

    ReplyDelete