Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Opry Country Classics-May 27

Here is the line-up for Opry Country Classics, at the Ryman Auditorium on Thursday May 27

Host: T.G. Sheppard
Spotlight Artist: John Anderson
Also Appearing: Rhett Akins, David Frizzell, Opry Square Dancers, Shelly West, Chris Young.

Just a couple of comments:
>I find it interesting that David Frizzell and Shelly West are not scheduled together. I would assume that they would sing a duet or two.
>How can you have an Opry sponsored show and not have an Opry member on it? I just don't get it. There are 66 current members and Pete Fisher could not find one of them who could or would appear on the show? I find this totally unacceptable! And when I think of classic artists, I think of folks like Jimmy Dickens, Ray Price, George Jones, Loretta Lynn, Bill Anderson, Jim Ed Brown, etc. (I think you get the idea). I don't think of any of those listed for this show.

Come on Grand Ole Opry. If you are going to have an Opry show, let's get some members appearing and if you are going to call the show a "classics" show, let's feature some classic country music performers.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad more artists have decided to visit the Opry since the flood, but since she and Marty appeared at the War Memorial, this is now 3 weekends without Connie Smith! I'm going into withdrawal!! Actually, when they first thought up the Classic Thursday thing, I imagined it would be another night I might hear her, and she's never been on it. How more classic can you get than Connie Smith?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea that Opry Country Classics doesn't have any of the Opry legends on it, or for that matter any of the onetime Opry members (Ray Price, Bobby Bare, and Leroy Van Dyke have appeared, and there are plenty more), is ... how shall I put it ... a firing offense and an insult to our intelligence as Opry fans.

    ReplyDelete