Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Grand Ole Opry Line-Up 7/30 & 7/31

Before I get to the line-up at the Grand Ole Opry this weekend, I know that I have not posted as much as normal the past several weeks. Like I said, I have been taking some vacation time, and also, there just has not been much Opry news to report. The usual slow period in late summer. But, several of you have been emailing me with questions about the Opry and comments, and I always enjoy hearing from like-minded Opry fans. Feel free to email me anytime with any comments or questions regarding the Opry, or classic country music in general.

Just to show I know more music than just country, I do want to say that several weeks ago I went to see Phil Lesh, Bob Weir and Futhur Fest. If you are a Grateful Dead fan, you will know what I am talking about. And then last week, I saw Phil Keaggy and Glass Harp, who were just great. Now, enough of that and back to country music.

With August starting this weekend, I will be back in full time action, which also means more regular updates, classic Opry line-ups and more Opry news. And I am sure there will be lots of Opry news in the next several weeks as the plans are announced for the re-opening of the Grand Ole Opry House. That could be the most exciting Opry news in a while.

Now, for the line-ups for this weekend. The will again be one show on Friday night and one show on Saturday night, both at the Ryman Auditorium. Vince Gill returns for both shows this weekend, along with an appearance by Ray Stevens on Saturday night.

Friday July 30
7:00: Jim Ed Brown(host); The Whites; Daryle Singletary
7:30: Jimmy Dickens(host); John Cowan; Jan Howard
INTERMISSION
8:15: Jean Shepard(host); Jesse McReynolds & The Virginia Boys; Restless Heart
8:45: Vince Gill(host); Connie Smith; The Isaacs

Saturday July 31
7:00: Jimmy Dickens(host); Jimmy C. Newman; Daryle Singletary
7:30: Jim Ed Brown(host); Jean Shepard; Tim O'Brien
INTERMISSION
8:15: Jeannie Seely(host); Jack Greene; Ray Stevens; Opry Square Dancers
8:45: Vince Gill(host); Bobby Osborne & The Rocky Top X-Press; The Whites

Georgette Jones will be the host this week for the Ernest Tubb Midnight Jamboree. Wouldn't it be great if George would make a guest appearance. That would just make the night.

And finally, Charlie Louvin had his cancer surgery last week. From what I ready, everything went ok and he is home recovering. God Bless!!!

3 comments:

  1. GREAT news about Charlie Louvin. Here's hoping he's back on the Opry stage soon. And as always, I'll be looking forward to more info from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just for the heck of it, I checked George Jones' website, and he has no tour dates scheduled for this weekend. I know that it is a real long shot, but I still think it would be a great surprise if he showed up for the Midnight Jamboree and did a duet with Georgette. I know they have recorded material together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jimmy Dickens hosted his usual segment on the Friday Night Opry and he sounded as bad as I have ever heard him. He was coughing a lot, and even when he was telling his jokes, he sounded bad. And, he didn't tell as many jokes as he usually does. He sang, "Out Behind The Barn", and it was just a whisper.

    On Saturday night, he was not on as he cancelled out. As bad as he was on Friday, I don't know if maybe Pete Fisher, or his wife Mona suggested that he stay home on Saturday night, or maybe he even showed up and attempted to make a go of it, but just sounded too bad. Physically, he seems to look ok, but it is just sad that his voice is shot.

    On a funny note, Jean Shepard hosted his segment on Saturday and after singing her song, made a joke that no, she was not Jimmy Dickens, but was, "Dolly Parton after taxes." I thought that was a great line!!!

    ReplyDelete