Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Rascal Flatts Invited to Join The Opry

During last night's Tuesday Night Opry, Vince Gill came out on stage during the final segment that featured Rascal Flatts and invited them to become the newest members of the Grand Ole Opry. Of course, the members of Rascal Flatts were emotionally stunned and said "yes". The actual induction will take place during the Opry's 86th birthday celebration on October 8.

As many of my readers know, I have speculated for the last several months that I thought they would be invited to join the show. And if you remember, some time back I had a post on 10 people who I thought should be Opry members, and they were on my list, along with the Oak Ridge Roys.

My initial opinion is that this is a good move by the Opry. Rascal Flatts are one of the top 5 acts in country music right now, if not the top act, and over the past year they have made numerous appearances at the Opry. They seem to enjoy being there and the crowd loves them, especially the younger fans. I really believe they "get it". Now, of course, comes the question that you never really know the answer to until later and that is, "Will they honor their commitments to the show and be there the 10 times per year asked of new members?" All we can do is to wait and see.

Congratulations to Rascal Flatts and I will be there on October 8 to witness their induction. I also know that the Opry will be televised on GAC that night, so for those who cannot attend, they will be able to watch.

1 comment:

  1. I believe we now have GAC on cable, and I hope to see it, too. They seem to "get" the Opry, and here's hoping they don't turn into Randy Travis, Travis Tritt, Alan Jackson, and so many others who were oh so honored to become Opry members and then showed they don't care.

    ReplyDelete