Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Grand Ole Opry Schedule 12/30 & 12/31--Updated

Update: Jack Greene has cancelled out for the Friday Night Opry. No replacement for him.

getting into the line ups for the final 2 Grand Ole Opry shows in 2011, I wanted to write a few words on the situation regarding Carol Lee Cooper and some of the rumors and questions that are out there regarding her situation and the Opry.

As most of you are aware of, Carol Lee has not been on the Opry since March. While I do not want to get into the reasons for her not being on, what I can tell you, and it has been confirmed by several others, is that it was for a legitimate health related issue. Over the past several months, whenever I or someone else asked about the status of Carol Lee, it was the same answer and nobody would say anything else or go on the record of saying anything.

Several weeks back, I received an email from one of my readers saying that he saw on another internet site that Carol Lee Cooper had been fired from the Opry. That was news to me so I started doing some research. I found the message board that this was posted on, and I found it to be suspect as the way it was written it did not make sense. I then emailed or called at least a half dozen of my sources and friends that I have in the music community who usually know what is going on at the Opry. The answer from each of them was that they had not heard a thing regarding Carol Lee, and 2 of these people I asked are journalists who I think would know, or would report it if they knew. But, I will say that at least 1 of them did check with their Opry sources and they were told there was nothing new to report regarding Carol Lee. Another person that I asked is backstage almost every weekend and they had not heard anything.

The internet message board said that Carol Lee was fired from the Opry in mid-September, right around the time that her mother Wilma Lee Cooper passed away. The reason I discount this report is for a couple of reasons. First, even on the Opry several weeks ago, a few of the entertainers, including Jim Ed Brown, were still referring to the back up singers as the Carol Lee Singers. Second, in the latest edition of the Opry Picture History Book, which was published in October, Carol Lee is still pictured with the Carol Lee Singers. And this edition had already taken out her mother and Billy Grammer and had already added Rascal Flatts, so it was up to date. Third, after the firing of the 4 Guys and the Opry Staff Band members several years back and the big publicity it created, I can't believe Pete Fisher would go that route again. I know that Pete is a tough businessman, but even I can't believe that he would fire someone at the same time that their mother passed away. And I do know that Carol Lee was backstage at the Opry the Saturday night of the tribute to her mother. Finally, a check of Carol Lee's website has nothing unusual on it.

Now even with all that, could something be up regarding Carol Lee Cooper and the Opry? I think so. Just the fact that nobody, and I mean nobody, will go on the record or say anything publicly, is a red flag to me. Also, while there are some who still refer to the back up singers as the Carol Lee Singers, I have also heard others call them the Opry Singers. And finally, this issue that has kept Carol Lee off the Opry has seem to have been going on for a long time now, over 9 months.

It would not surprise me at all if we have seen the last of Carol Lee Cooper on the Opry. I hope I am wrong. I keep asking and if I receive anything new, I will certainly report it. But at the least, it is a mysterious situation.

Now regarding the Opry this weekend, since it is the show closest to January 1st, which was the date that Hank Williams died, his daughter Jett Williams will be on the Opry, as she is every year around this time. I know that the Opry has had an open invitation to Hank Williams, Jr to appear, but that has happened only once in recent memory. And of course Hank Williams III, who has appeared on the Opry previously around January 1st, will not be getting an invitation anytime soon to appear at the Opry, for obvious reasons.

Also appearing on the Opry this weekend will be 4 non-Opry members who have appeared on the Opry more times this past year than a majority of the actual Opry members and those 4 are Mandy Barnett, Jimmy Wayne, Restless Heart and Dailey & Vincent. It would finish out the year in a fine way if one of those would receive an invitation to join the Opry

Here are the line ups for this weekend:

Friday December 30
7:00: John Conlee (host); Jeannie Seely; Craig Morgan
7:30: Jimmy Dickens (host); Bobby Osborne & The Rocky Top X-Press; Mandy Barnett
INTERMISSION
8:15: Riders In The Sky (host); Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out; Jimmy Wayne
8:45: Mike Snider (host); Jean Shepard; Restless Heart

Saturday December 31
7:00: Jimmy Dickens (host); Jimmy C Newman; Jett Williams
7:30: Mike Snider (host); Jan Howard; George Hamilton IV; Mandy Barnett
INTERMISSION
8:15: Riders In The Sky (host); Jesse McReynolds; Jimmy Wayne; Opry Square Dancers
8:45: John Conlee (host); Jim Ed Brown; Dailey & Vincent

This week's Ernest Tubb Midnight Jamboree will be hosted by Jett Williams. After this week, the Midnight Jamboree goes with taped archive shows until March as the attendance and out of town folks coming to Nashville really drops during the winter months.

If I don't post again before the end of the year, Happy New Year to everyone.

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for a great bit of reporting and analysis. Carol Lee's situation IS strange, and I suspect there's some mystery involved, but I can't imagine that if, indeed, she had been fired, we wouldn't have known by now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I received the latest Country's Family Reunion series for Christmas and have been watching it all this week. Carol Lee is not on there either, but the rest of the Carol Lee Singers are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad Jett is appearing on the 'Opry and at ET's record shop.
    When she stands over the microphone in a certain way, it's really something to see and feel. Hank lives on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fred in Bismarck here:

    Happy New Year to you, Byron, and here's to another great year, 2012, of your outstanding reporting and analysis.

    And Happy New Year to Michael and other frequent contributors. It is so wonderful to share space with people whose love of good old country music is the same even as our opinions on given subjects may vary from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fred again, with a further thought about Carol Lee:

    Although still very goodlooking, C.L. ain't no chicken ... 69 years old, I believe. An age at which all kinds of health mischief lurks out there for us.

    Although why the official Opry and everyone else down there should be so mysterious about it is exasperating. You'd think somebody associated with the Nashville media would put the Opry on the spot. Or maybe the Opry just is not serious news down there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fred, thank you. And Nat, the first time my late mother the country music fanatic saw Jett Williams, she said, "Hank Jr. should pay her what she wants. She is his sister."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Fred that providing us a complete schedule of new year night. We hope that coming event will be a really memorable event of this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So did she really die or is this just a way of leaving the opry without giving a reason? What
    a shame if the latter is true.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carol Lee is very much alive. It was her mother, Wilma Lee Cooper that passed away in September.

    (byron)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jimmy Dickens sounded pretty weak last night, almost like he had a cold. I wonder if he will make it tonight. Also, did anybody else catch the joke that he told about his Christmas gift prior to his last song? My wife was in the car with me when he told it, and she even did a double take and looked at me and asked, "did he just say what I thought he said."

    (byron)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Byron, was it the joke about the new suit and something to play with? He told that the week before. It's funny. As "down-home" as country is, Minnie Pearl and Rod Brasfield used to get away with the most amazing things, especially for the 1940s and 1950s.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep Michael, that was the joke. I must have missed it the week before. He was mentioning it as a Christmas gift. Did I catch it right about the reference to the pockets in the pants?

    (byron)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep. Years ago, my undergraduate adviser was lecturing on fur trappers and made a comment about them that could be taken as sexual (it referred to the animal they trapped, and I'll leave it at that). Everybody laughed. I thought, I'll use that, and I learned a lesson: what was funny coming from him at the age of 65 was not funny coming from me at the age of 21. So I guess The Potato can get away with certain things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dee Feb. 04, 2012
    I have been wondering what happened to Carol Lee? I have missed her smile in the singing group.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great กV I should certainly pronounce, impressed with your website. I had no trouble navigating through all tabs as well as related information ended up being truly easy to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it in the least. Quite unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or anything, web site theme . a tones way for your customer to communicate. Nice task..
    Mundo Unico Men's Copa Medio Onix Boxer Brief

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was suggested this blog by my cousin. I'm not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my problem. You are wonderful! Thanks!
    !#: Sorel Women's Helen Of Tundra Boot... The Cheapest

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm still wondering what happened to carrol lee cooper 2019

    ReplyDelete