Sunday, December 21, 2014

Christmas and Holiday Greetings

Each year around this time, I have taken a moment to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year. I hope that it is a blessed day for all of you and that you have family and friends to share the day with. I also hope Santa brings each of you everything you have asked for.

I also want to take a moment to offer my personal thanks to all of those who have read or commented on the blog. I wish I could give each of you a personal present, but I guess in a way, doing this blog could be considered my gift to you. Many of you have offered comments, some have emailed and others communicate with me on Facebook. No matter how you do it, my thanks and appreciation. While we may disagree on a few things, I like to think that we are all friends who care about the Opry.

Each year around this time, I have also offered my own Christmas wishes to the Opry and it's members. Like last year, I am going to keep it pretty simple.

To those who have had health issues this past year, such as Jean Shepard, Jim Ed Brown and Randy Travis, my wish is good health and many more Opry appearances. To the veterans and legends, such as Ray Pillow, Stonewall Jackson, Jan Howard and Stu Phillips, my wish is more Opry appearances and that maybe when you do appear, you can sing two songs instead of just one.

For the newer members, please don't forget where the Opry House is. The Opry needs you and cannot survive without you. And for those members who haven't been to the Opry in a while, please come back. I guarantee that you are missed and you will have a good time. And to those members who did make a few more appearances this past year, thanks. And for those who make guest appearances on the Opry, my thanks. With many of the Opry's members not appearing, you are all vital to the show.

For Vince Gill, Ricky Skaggs, Larry Gatlin, John Conlee, Lorrie Morgan, Mel Tillis and Carrie Underwood, thanks for understanding what Opry membership is about and thanks for supporting the show. Others talk about it, you do it.

I have a few special mentions for this year: For Jim Ed Brown, our thoughts and prayers for your recovery. And perhaps this will be the year you receive a call from the Hall of Fame, informing you that you are the newest member. You and your sisters have waited long enough. For Jimmy Dickens, 94 and still going strong. May you continue to set the example for those much younger. And to Jean Shepard, my hope that you continue to come out to the Opry as you prepare to celebrate your 60th anniversary as an Opry member.

For the Opry management, specifically Steve Buchanan and Pete Fisher, please don't mess with the show anymore. You have done enough and besides, most of us liked it the way it was. And I think we can all agree that the 89th birthday bash wasn't very good. You have a chance to redeem yourselves in 2015 for the 90th. And don't forget that 2015 is also the 50th Opry anniversary for Connie Smith. Finally, please do a better job at picking new Opry members. Let's face it, you have missed on the last couple.

And let's not forget the families of those we lost this past year, Jimmy C Newman, George Hamilton IV and Earl White. May their families be blessed this holiday season.

For those who attend the Opry, or listen to the show, my thanks. I know some weeks it has been tough. Some of the shows just haven't been up to par this past year, but just when you think you are ready to give up on the Opry, they come up with something great.

Finally, I do want to offer my own thanks to those who I have met in my travels to Nashville. Many of you have gone out of your way to say hi and for that I say thanks. And for those I have not met, don't give up. That day may come yet!!

As we prepare to enter 2015, I hope all of you will continue to enjoy the blog. If you like it, tell your friends. Maybe they will like it also. And, I am often asked if anyone from the Opry reads the blog. Well, I found out this past year that they do. And while they don't agree with everything that is written, they do appreciate everyone's opinion.

So Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone. And not to get to political as I end tonight, but if I have one Christmas wish for everyone it would be good health to each of you and peace on Earth.

Blessings to you all:

Byron
aka: Fayfare









8 comments:

  1. Fred, Bismarck:

    Right back at you, Byron, for a merry Christmas and healthy and happy 2015. There is no other place like your blog, and I'm sure all the contributors are as grateful for it as I am. All one needs to do is ask himself where else would he find such a good conversation about country music.

    I haven't found one in the 15 years I've been online.

    Seasons greetings and best wishes, also, to all the faithful correspondents on here ... Michael, Jim, Nat, Jeanene, all. Your company is a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And back at you, Byron, and at you, Fred, and the rest of the gang. I know I am grateful for Byron, for his blog and all that goes into it, and for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Anonymous in PA: Thank you Byron, for your greetings and what you do - absolutely agree with your "wishes". LOVE participating in your blog and best wishes to you and everyone in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Byron for keeping up this blog and for sharing in our love for traditional country music! Merry Christmas to you and all your followers. God bless

    ReplyDelete
  5. Byron, I can only imagine how much time it takes you to put together this thing.
    Just understand that it is greatly appreciated by all of us, and very well read!
    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for another great year of Opry reading, Byron. I always look forward to "next week's installment." You always do such a great job, thank you.

    Like everyone, I am hoping for a very good outcome with Jim Ed Brown's health & I also hope that this coming Spring, he & his two sisters get that very important call from the Hall. Sure would be great for them.

    So happy to read that the Grand Ole Opry reads your blog, Byron. Sorry to learn they don't agree with everything that they read. Most companies don't like to be told anything but positive things, so much for that. I always give my positive views when I have them but I will also give my negative views when I have them. The Opry folks have to know that what they are reading is our love for the Grand Ole Opry & would like to see ALL members appear & sing for their fans, that is why they were invited to become members? I don't care how far away they live from the Opry stage - they agreed to be members the night they were invited. And I agree with you Byron, the 89th Opry birthday bash I traveled 500 miles to sit in the audience for. It sure wasn't like the 75th Opry birthday bash I traveled the same amount of miles for. To be quite honest, I totally enjoyed the Opry Country Classics show two nights earlier AND the Loretta Lynn concert at the Ryman much, much more than the 75th Opry birthday bash show. Sad to say, as I LOVE sitting in the Opry House & the Ryman & I will travel far to see Opry members, not a bunch of actors who sing on a tv show. For that, I will save a whole lot of money by sitting home & watching the show itself, of which I am not a fan of, so I don't watch it.

    Two members that I am happy to have back at the Opry is Larry Gatlin & many times with his brothers - oh that family harmony - and Mike Snider. LOVE his jokes ... oh & his music. :-)

    Love "chatting" & contributing my two cents about country music ... Fred, Michael, Nat & Jim & to all those who sign Anonymous. Always enjoy reading everyone's thoughts & opinions.

    May this Christmas Season bring joy and happy memories to each of you and your families and all the very best to you in 2015 ..... AND 52 (or more) posts by Byron.

    Merry Christmas everyone ~


    (Jeanene)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas to everyone who participates here and a big thanks to Byron and all his hard work.

    A couple years ago I was really having a hard time listening to the Opry and keeping up on my documentation. Sometimes it is still hard to listen to but participating here makes me try to listen to all of the show so I know first hand what takes place. All of you have given me new motivation to stay up on what is going on at the Opry and I am thankful to have others to talk to. As Byron pointed out about the two ladies he met on his trip, unless you are a really dedicated fan you probably don't understand the concept of the Opry. That makes it hard to talk to the average country fan about the Opry but we don't have that problem here/

    I have learned a lot and collected a lot of valuable information here and many of you, especially Byron, have more insight and contacts thus current information than I do. I'm limited to listening to the Opry and occasionally meeting or exchanging an email to someone at the Opry. So I am thankful to all of you who help keep this site fun and interesting and worth participating in.

    We all have varied taste in music and our ideas for the Opry but for the most part we present our thoughts and feleings in a civil manner and that is the way it should be. Lets hope we can continue to do so and those who might join us will too.

    I agree with all of Byron's wishes for the coming year and most importantly that those veterans on the sick list will get well and those who are healthy will have continued good health. We are blessed to still have them around and performing.

    Jim
    Knightsville, IN

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Byron for all your hard work and efforts. Reading this blog is one of my weekly highlights and I always look forward to your writing. Keep up the excellent work! I hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas! Looking forward to a great 2015!

    ReplyDelete