Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Grand Ole Opry 11/24 & 25

Update: here are the lineups for this weekend:

Friday November 24
First show:
7:00: Jeannie Seely; Sierra Hull
7:30: Mike Snider; Ashley Campbell
8:00: NewSong with Francesca Battiselli; William Michael Morgan
8:30: Charlie McCoy; Restless Heart

The 2nd show starts at 9:30 and is the same as the first show. Really sad to see just two Opry members on a Friday night show.

Saturday November 25
First show:
7:00:  Jeannie Seely (host); Jim Lauderdale; Bobby Osborne & The Rocky Top Express
7:30: Mike Snider (host); Emily Ann Roberts; Bobby Bare
8:00: The Whites (host); John Oates; Opry Square Dancers
8:30: Connie Smith (host); Sarah Darling; Annie Moses Band

2nd show, same running order as the first.

I would like to start out this week by wishing everyone a very blessed and grateful Thanksgiving. My wish is that each of you have family or friends to spend some time with this holiday and enjoy all that the day has to offer. As for me, I will be with our daughters and grandchildren in North Carolina, having a turkey dinner and plenty of pumpkin pie.

Usually on a holiday week, the Grand Ole Opry posts the line-up by Tuesday, however as of this evening nothing official has bee listed. Since I will be traveling tomorrow and unsure when I will be able to post, I can at least offer a preview of this weekend.

Grand Ole Opry members currently scheduled for Friday night include Jeannie Seely and Mike Snider, with guest artists Ashley Campbell, Hall of Famer Charlie McCoy, Sierra Hull, Restless Heart and William Michael Morgan.

Looking at Saturday night, Opry members listed are the same two from Friday night: Mike Snider and Jeannie Seely. Guest artists include Country Music Hall of Fame and former Opry member Bobby Bare, Jim Lauderdale, Emily Ann Roberts, John Oates, and the Annie Moses Band. Needless to say, both nights need filled out. I know a lot of artists are not in town or performing over the holiday weekend, so hopefully the Opry comes up with some quality names.

So as we await more details, here is the posted Grand Ole Opry line-up from 10 years ago, the weekend of November 23 & 24, 2007:

Friday November 23
7:00: John Conlee (host); Jimmy C Newman; Jeff Bates
7:30: Riders In The Sky (host); Mel McDaniel; The Infamous Stringdusters
8:00: George Hamilton IV (host); Jesse McReynolds & The Virginia Boys; Buddy Jewell
8:30: Ricky Skaggs (host); Elizabeth Cook; The Whites

Saturday November 24
1st show
6:30: Jeannie Seely (host); Jesse McReynolds & The Virginia Boys; Elizabeth Cook
7:00: George Hamilton IV (host); Bobby Osborne & The Rocky Top X-Press; Jeff Bates
7:30: Riders In The Sky (host); Jan Howard; Bar D Wranglers; Mandy Barnett
8:00: Jimmy C Newman (host); Stu Phillips; Rebecca Lynn Howard; Opry Square Dancers
8:30: Ricky Skaggs (host); The Whites

2nd show
9:30: Jeannie Seely (host); Jimmy C Newman; Elizabeth Cook
10:00: Riders In The Sky (host); Charlie Louvin; Bar D Wranglers; Jeff Bates
10:30: George Hamilton IV (host); Bobby Osborne & The Rocky Top X-Press; Rebecca Lynn Howard; Opry Square Dancers
11:00: Ricky Skaggs (host); The Whites; Mandy Barnett

It was 25 years ago, Saturday November 28, 1992 that Marty Stuart became a member of the Grand Ole Opry.

Over the years, Marty Stuart's love of country music has found multiple avenues for expression. In addition to writing and recording such hits as "Hillbilly Rock," "Tempted," and "The Whiskey Ain't Workin," the latter a Grammy-winning duet with pal Travis Tritt, Marty has become one of country music's noted historians. Sparkle & Twang: Marty's Stuart's American Musical Odyssey, his traveling exhibit of music memorabilia and photography, has been displayed at the Tennessee State Museum and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. In 2008, Marty launched "The Marty Stuart Show" on cable's RFD Network. Each program featured Marty's band, The Fabulous Superlatives, as well as his wife Connie Smith, plus fellow Grand Ole Opry members and other guests. Sadly, the new episodes are no longer being taped and it would appear that the show will not be returning.

Marty's passion for country music began when he taught himself to play mandolin as a child. By the time he was 13, he had been recruited to join the legendary Lester Flatt's band. Marty has performed with some of country music's most notable musicians, including fiddler Vassar Clements and guitarist Doc Watson. He also spent several years in Johnny Cash's band before pursuing a solo career.

In 1990, he hit the Top 10 for the first time with the title track of his album "Hillbilly Rock." In 1991, he released "Tempted," and the title track became a Top 5 single. In the early 90s, he also teamed with Travis for such hits as "The Whiskey Ain't Workin" and "This One's Gonna Hurt You." Following that string of hits, Marty turned his attention to many of the other styles of music he truly loves from traditional country to gospel and several others in between. In 2010, he issued "Ghost Train," which was recorded in RCA's famed Studio B, where Marty played on his first session with Flatt when he was 13.

Though he's seen many changes in the country music industry over the years, Marty says the Opry has remained constant. "The thing that has absolutely not changed is the Grand Ole Opry," he says. "The Mother Church of Country Music has remained, and it all revolves around it."

Marty has had a busy year and sadly has not made many Opry appearances. He spent the early part of the year preparing for the release of his new album, "Way Out West," which was released in March, and since then he has been pretty much on the road, which he will continue to be doing through the end of the year. Marty is scheduled to be on the Friday Night Opry, December 1st, where he will be recognized upon his 25th anniversary as an Opry member.

Here is the running order from Saturday November 28, 1992, the night Marty Stuart became the Opry's newest member:

1st show
6:30: GHS Strings
Boxcar Willie (host): There's Nothing Like A Good Old Country Song
Mike Snider: (?)
Boxcar Willie: The Great Speckled Bird

6:45: Country Music Hall of Fame
Grandpa Jones (host): Nashville on My Mind
Jim Ed Brown: The Doll Maker
Bill Carlisle: Elvira
Grandpa Jones: My Little Old Home Down in New Orleans

7:00: Shoney's
Del Reeves (host): Two Dollars in the Juke Box/A Dime at A Time/Looking at the World Through a Windshield
Charlie Louvin: The Family Who Prays
Jeanne Pruett: Satin Sheets
The Whites: Pins & Needles
Skeeter Davis: The End of the World

7:30: Standard Candy
Jimmy Dickens (host): Wabash Cannonball
Jeannie Seely: As Long As I Live/My Tear's Don't Show
Ray Pillow: I Wonder Where You Are Tonight
Marty Stuart: Tempted/The Long Black Veil
Jimmy Dickens: I Saw the Light

8:00: Martha White
Bill Anderson (host): Wild Weekend
Connie Smith: How Great Thou Art
Brother Oswald: I'll Be All Smiles Tonight
Jimmy C Newman: La Cajun Band
Opry Square Dance Band/Melvin Sloan Dancers: Liberty
Bill Anderson: I Love You Drops

8:30: Kraft
Hank Snow (host): Forever & 1; Forever & 2
Jean Shepard: Let's All Go Down to the River/I Saw the Light/Will the Circle Be Unbroken/I'll Fly Away/Somebody Touched Me
Roy Drusky: Too Old to Die Young
The 4 Guys: I'm Bound for Higher Ground
Stonewall Jackson: Ol' Chunk of Coal
Hank Snow: I've Cried A Mile

2nd show
9:30: Dollar General
Jimmy Dickens (host): Sleeping at the Foot of the Bed
Wilma Lee Cooper: He Will Set Your Fields on Fire
Jan Howard: Lord, I Hope this Day is Good
Marty Stuart: This One's Gonna Hurt You For A Long, Long Time/I'll Take the Blame/Hillbilly Rock
Jimmy Dickens: My Eyes are Jealous

10:00: Little Debbie
Grandpa Jones (host): What'll I Do with the Baby-O
Del Reeves: Don't You Ever Get Tired of Hurting Me
Grandpa Jones: Gone Home

10:15: Tennessee Pride/Sunbeam
Boxcar Willie (host): There's Nothing Like A Good Old Country Song
Billy Walker: Peace in the Valley
Boxcar Willie: Wabash Cannonball

10:30: Randy Travis Enterprises
Bill Anderson (host): Southern Fried
The Whites: San Antonio Rose
Bill Anderson: City Lights

10:45: B. C. Powder
The 4 Guys (host): How Married Are You Mary Ann
Charlie Louvin & Monroe Fields: I Love You Best of All
Opry Square Dance Band/Melvin Sloan Dances: Snowflake Reel
The 4 Guys: Farther Along

11:00: Coca-Cola
Hank Snow (host): There's A Fool Such As I
Jean Shepard: Bouquet of Roses
Charlie Walker: A Way to Free Myself
Justin Tubb: Waltz Across Texas
Mike Snider: Soldier's Joy/Angeline the Baker/Old Molly Hare
Hank Snow: These Things Shall Pass

11:30: Creamette
Jimmy C Newman (host): Cajun's Dream
Connie Smith: The Deepening Snow
Roy Drusky: As Long As I Live
Johnny Russell: A Mansion Stands My Love/He'll Have to Go
Jimmy C Newman: Colinda

During the show that night, there were many references to Roy Acuff, who had passed away on November 23. This was the first Saturday night show since Roy's death and several of the performers did Roy Acuff songs.

Finally, going back 50 years to Saturday November 25, 1967:

7:30: Wilburn Brothers (host); Jean Shepard; Willis Brothers; Ernie Ashworth; Stringbean
8:00: Porter Wagoner (host); Bill Carlisle; Ray Pillow; Dolly Parton; Grandpa Jones; Crook Brothers
8:30: Wilma Lee & Stoney Cooper (host); Del Reeves; Margie Bowes; Harold Weakley; Joe Edwards
9:00: Charlie Louvin (host); Lonzo & Oscar; Jerry Green; The 4 Guys; Fruit Jar Drinkers; Jimmy Capps
9:30: George Morgan (host); Willis Brothers; Bob Luman; Marion Worth; Stu Phillips; Cousin Jody
10:00: Del Reeves (host); Jean Shepard; Stringbean
10:15: Bill Carlisle (host); Margie Bowes; Ernie Ashworth
10:30: Porter Wagoner (host); Grandpa Jones; Ray Pillow; Buck Trent
10:45: Wilma Lee & Stoney Cooper (host); Bob Luman; Crook Brothers
11:00: Charlie Louvin (host); George Morgan; Fruit Jar Drinkers; The 4 Guys; Sam McGee
11:30: Billy Grammer (host); Lonzo & Oscar; Stu Phillips; Marion Worth; Cousin Jody

There you have it for this week. I hope everyone enjoys the Opry this weekend and once again, I wish everyone a safe, peaceful and enjoyable Thanksgiving Day!!!

21 comments:

  1. Another Bobby Bare performance. Sure wish he could be reinstated as a member. I think Mel would approve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always am reminded of the, uh, splash Marty made that night by using a word not normally used on the Opry to praise older people. The next time he was there, he very sheepishly went on the warmup show on TNN to say he was sorry, that he meant it affectionately and better than it came out, which I know he did. Of course, if he meant it as well as he claimed, he'd show up at the Opry more now that he's one of them, eh?

    Kind of tugs at the heartstrings that that night, Oswald was on the segment Mr. Acuff usually hosted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the Friday night show Dan Kelly and Larry McNeely came out with Bill Anderson to do his opening song and Os and Charlie appeared as Bill's last guest.

    On the Saturday night portion on TNN and hosted by Tater, several artist joined him on stage to do I Saw The Light. Stonewall talked about Mr. Acuff for several minutes before he sang.

    I've told this before but when Bill introduced Os and the boys I was down front to take pictures and stayed there while they played. I could barely take photos from shaking and the tears. In a way, Marty more than made up for what he said, regardless of how he meant it, by going along with Porter and helping get Os made a member of the Opry. At least the Acuff sound lasted until Os passed!

    Jim
    Knightsville, IN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving to Byron and his family, and the whole Fayfare Gang!

    ReplyDelete
  5. On one hand, I understand the lack of members and big names this weekend given the holiday. The artists deserve the chance to celebrate Thanksgiving with their families, especially for those not from the Nashville area. On the other hand, if you aren't going to be able to put on a great show, then why go out and do 2 below average shows both nights?

    ReplyDelete
  6. If this is what the future looks like, I think I will go over to Fred in Bismark's side and listen to my records, CD's and old Opry shows.

    We are getting closer to the four act show which is more like a concert. I have to remember that even though I think of the Opry as a radio show, nobody including the business people think of it that way and sponsors no longer have the footprint they once did. And my opinion out here in radio land means nothing. The only way I count is if I lay down my $75+ for a ticket and I understand that.

    I often think I was born at the wrong time. But, where the Opry is concerned, I think I am pretty lucky. I got to hear a lot of the greats in their final years and was able to meet many of the members that may not have been as easy to meet earlier in their careers. This is a good time to be thankful for the times I have lived in.

    Jim
    Knightsville, IN

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, Charlie McCoy and Jason Coleman, Floyd Cramer's grandson, just helped ease my frustration!

    Jason did the Midnite Jamboree several months back and was impressive. I'm thinking I would like to see Charlie McCoy as a member. Would be nice to have an instrumentalist as a member!

    Jim
    Knightsville, IN

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mike Snider was on fire Friday night.
    Don't see how a guy telling silly jokes can renew my faith in the 'Opry, but darned if he didn't.
    Well, that plus Charlie and Jason.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was saddened that there was no mention of Mel's passing or a moment of silence when the Opry came on tonight. I guess Opry membership doesn't mean much anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, but Bobby Bare spoke about him and was very emotional--and then didn't do Detroit City, I suspect because he felt so emotional about it.

      Delete
    2. Bobby Bare is a class act all the way. While I've never been a fan of Pete Fisher, at least he would take the occasion to honor the passing of an Opry member with a few words and a moment of silent respect before the show would start. Very sad indeed.

      Delete
  10. A wonderful Opry tonight, both show and I am a 74 year old traditionalist. Great to hear Bobby Bare, Jim Lauderdale and the Annie Moses band. Glen Campbell's daughter was terrific Friday night. Only criticism is too many artists do the same songs on both shows. I come from Michigan and would come more often if I knew I was going to see 2 completely different shows to make it worth the trip of over 1000 miles total. Dashmann - Flushing, Michigan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hank Snow would rarely perform a song twice a year, let alone 2 shows in a row ----just my 2 cents --- Dashmann, Flushing, Michigan

      Delete
  11. I have probably related this before and I'm sure Byron can do better than me but at one point I was keeping track of Hank Snow's performances in the early 90's and he did over 90 different songs only repeating I'm Movin On and I Don't Hurt Anymore a couple times. That is three time the play list of my local station then and now!

    It is very sad and disturbing that the Opry would not make a brief statement about Mel and have a moment of silence. Nothing against Don Williams at all but they remembered him and he had not been a member for decades. I believe they have also remembered folks who were never members but I could be wrong on that. If I was Pam, I would be a bit upset and tell them so.

    One in the negative column for Sally Williams. Hopefully we will learn that there was a good reason for it.

    I found it peculiar that on Eddie's tribute the other night that he did not play any excerpts from his interviews with Mel. Maybe there is a connection.

    Jim
    Knightsville, IN

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was visiting family this weekend in North Carolina and was unable to listen either on Friday or Saturday night. So is the information that I am reading correct, that on neither night there was a dedication to Mel? If so, I would find that very disturbing and couldn't offer an explanation as to why.

    Regarding Hank Snow, Jim in correct. Toward the end of his career, and I forget now where I read it, Hank decided to sing everyone of his recordings/hits, in the order that he recorded them. Not sure how long he did this, but I could easily look. I think he just got in the mood that he wanted to do everything again before his time at the Opry ended.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jim
    I missed the Stubbs tribute of Mel Tillis.
    I will say I heard the replay of Mel's hilarious story of his long party with his friend Lefty Frizzell on Bill Cody's program the other morning. Perplexed as to why Eddie would not rebroadcast any of his conversations. I don't recall ever hearing Eddie interviewing Mel?.?.?.
    Nat

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know he did it more recent but I just saw where I had taped an interview from 2003 with Eddie and Mel.

    Jim
    Knightsville, IN

    ReplyDelete
  15. That makes the fact that Eddie didn't use any of it very strange.
    Thanks Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I may be wrong about this--I'm wrong often enough!--but I think there have been times that they held off and did a bigger tribute when a star has died. So let's give the Opry a week or two.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I certainly hope you're right Michael.
    Pam and a few close friends of Mel's (like Bobby Bare) could put on quite a show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I am, too, because it would be horrible of them otherwise. Of course, that may be part of it: Pam ought to be involved in a tribute, logically, and it may be a question of when she is ready?

      Delete