It's another weekend at the Grand Ole Opry and starting off with the Friday Night Opry, Opry members Jamey Johnson and Ricky Skaggs head up the lineup. Among the non-members listed is Deana Carter. I mention her name as she has been appearing on the Opry for decades and at times, her name comes up among those who might be considered for future Opry membership. Rounding out the show is Gary Sinise & The Lt. Dan Band, Swamp Dogg and Eli Paperboy Reed.
Saturday night looks more fulfilling with Opry members T. Graham Brown, Connie Smith and Charlie McCoy scheduled. Tigirlily Gold is scheduled, along with Lamont Landers, Stephanie Urbina Jones, and making her Opry debut, Ashley Anne. Rounding Saturday out is Skip Ewing, who after making a recent appearance, is back for another show.
(Still awaiting an official running order)
In 1992, Grand Ole Opry member Jeannie Seely celebrated her 25th anniversary as a member of the Grand Ole Opry. During the weekend of September 18 & 19, Jeannie was the Opry Spotlight Artist:
From The Tennessean Friday September 18:
This year, Jeannie Seely and the Grand Ole Opry are celebrating their silver anniversary. Wednesday marked the 25th year of Opry membership for "Miss Country Soul," who joined in 1967. This weekend, she celebrates the anniversary by singing in shows at 9:30 p.m. Friday and 7:30 and 11 p.m. Saturday.
"I'm so excited, almost like I was the first time," Seely said. "I went through my wardrobe, and nothing was good enough. I went out and splurged today and bought a new dress."
Seely has always been known for her fashion sense; credited with breaking the "calico curtain," she changed the image of sweet down-home female country music singers by wearing mini-skirts and low-cut dresses.
In 1966, Seely won a Grammy for Don't Touch Me, a hit song that led to Opry membership. "I can't forget that" she said. "Usually, the first criteria to join is a hit record. When Don't Touch Me hit, I was so excited about having a No. 1 record, but I kept saying 'Does this mean they'll ask me to join the Opry?'" They did. "I was so excited and so nervous the first appearance," Seely said. "I remember thinking of the responsibility, what it meant to be a part of the Grand Ole Opry."
To Seely, it means being a part of a family. "There's just a kinship there," she said. "When I'm away, I'm homesick for the Grand Ole Opry." And every weekend she's in town, Seely can be found on the Opry stage. "It's kind of frightening how fast 25 years have gone by. I just can't believe it," she said. I'm proud of being able to stick with it that long, as well as just happy that they've stuck with me."
Here are the posted lineups from that weekend in 1992:
Friday September 18
1st show
6:30: Bill Anderson (host): Roy Drusky, Jim Ed Brown, Jan Howard, Johnny Russell
7:00: Porter Wagoner (host): Charlie Walker, Jean Shepard, Billy Grammer
7:30: Roy Acuff (host): Connie Smith, The 4 Guys, Carlisles
8:00: Bill Monroe (host): Jack Greene, Jimmy C Newman, Jeanne Pruett
8:30: Hank Snow (host): The Whites, Billy Walker, Mike Snider
2nd show
9:30: Porter Wagoner (host): Jeannie Seely, Stonewall Jackson, Ray Pillow, The Oak Ridge Boys
10:00: Roy Acuff (host): Connie Smith, Billy Grammer, Jean Shepard
10:30: Bill Monroe (host): The 4 Guys, Jim Ed Brown, Lorrie Morgan
11:00: Hank Snow (host): The Whites, Jack Greene, Justin Tubb, Carlisles
11:30: Bill Anderson (host): Jeanne Pruett, Jimmy C Newman, Mike Snider
12:05: Rev. Jimmy Snow
Saturday Matinee
3:00: Porter Wagoner, Dan Shaffer, Skeeter Davis
3:30: Jimmy C Newman, The Whites
4:00: Jack Greene, The 4 Guys
4:30: Roy Acuff, Smoky Mountain Boys
Saturday September 19
1st show
6:30: Porter Wagoner (host): Jeanne Pruett
6:45: Jim Ed Brown (host): Skeeter Davis
7:00: Bill Monroe (host): Jean Shepard, Jimmy C Newman, Billy Walker, The Whites
7:30: Jack Greene (host): Jeannie Seely, Ray Pillow, Billy Grammer, Jann Brown
8:00: Roy Acuff (host): The 4 Guys, Jimmy Dickens, Opry Square Dance Band, Melvin Sloan Dancers
8:30: Hank Snow (host): Charlie Louvin, Jan Howard, Roy Drusky, Carlisles
2nd show
9:30: Porter Wagoner (host): Skeeter Davis, Billy Walker, Lorrie Morgan
10:00: Jimmy Dickens (host): Jeanne Pruett
10:15: Roy Acuff (host): Jimmy C Newman
10:30: Bill Monroe (host): Stonewall Jackson
10:45: Jack Greene (host): The Whites, Opry Square Dance Band, Melvin Sloan Dancers
11:00: Hank Snow (host): Jeannie Seely, Roy Drusky, Jim Ed Brown
11:30: The 4 Guys (host): Ray Pillow, Carlisles, Jan Howard, Charlie Louvin
For those interested, the ticket prices for that night were $14.50 for the main floor and lower balcony and $12.50 for the upper balcony. Matinees were $12.50 main floor and $10.50 upper balcony.
When all was said and done, Jeannie was an Opry member for over 55 years and she was one of the members who once they joined, never left. She also appeared on the Opry more than any other member in the history of the show.
Eli "Paperboy" Reed is an American singer and songwriter known for his soulful mix of 1960s R&B, gospel, and blues.
ReplyDeleteSwamp Dogg might be interesting......2 years ago he posted this on Twitter.......
Blackgrass would not be the album it is without the help of these legendary Bluegrass players... Thanks to Chris Scruggs, Sierra Hull, Noam Pikelny, Kenny Vaughan, Billy Contreras, and Jerry Douglas for joining in the fun!
The Lt. Dan Band is an American cover band originally formed in Chicago in 2003 by Gary Sinise and Kimo Williams to perform at USO shows, entertain troops, and raise money for disabled veterans.
Only six acts announced so far for tonight on the 'Opry webpage. Glad I don't have tickets! Kind of sad actually. They can't find 8 artists?
Tickets are selling pretty well anyway.
Tonight's show looks like a really good one to me. To each his own, I guess. That's one of the nice things about the Opry, I suppose-- it doesn't cost you a dime to sit at home and complain.
DeleteBut that's what I do best! :)
DeleteRiders in the Sky took a break from their "see 'em while you still can tour" to come play the 'Opry tonight. :)
DeleteThat makes 7 acts. Let's go for 8 'Opry!
I remember Jeannie Seely telling the story of making only 19 appearances one year when they were supposed to do 20, going to Bud Wendell, and being forgiven because she was going to make it up the next year. I also remember her story of how much women hated trying to put on makeup at the Ryman. THAT is a classic.
ReplyDeleteI miss Jeannie Seely, the opry isn't the same without her, Don Schlitz & Bill Cody
ReplyDeleteAgree. I am so glad we had them while we did.
Delete