Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Remembering June Webb

One of the great joys of doing this blog is that it has brought me into contact with numerous Opry performers or their representatives, retired country music performers and of course, great Grand Ole Opry fans.

Recently, I came into contact with a performer, who appeared on the Opry in the 1950's as part of Roy Acuff's Smoky Mountain Boys, and who had started on a very promising individual career and that is June Webb.

If I have my dates right, June was with Roy Acuff from around 1957 until the middle of 1960. I know many of you Opry veterans will remember her. During her time with Roy, she received Billboard Magazine's "Most Promising Female of the Year Award." But, instead of me telling you about her, I highly recommend that you visit her website, http://www.junewebbmusic.com/, which is a nice website that outlines her career.

Also on her website, you will see that for sale, is her album, of course now a CD, called, "June Webb then...with a hint of now!" I received a copy of the CD last week, and I have been listening to it since. It is wonderful. She has a great voice and the song selection is excellent. The CD has 16 songs on it and it is truly classic country music at its finest.

Roy always thought highly of June and in 1992, the year that Roy Acuff passed away, he asked her if she would come and do the Opry with him for a final time, which she did. That took place on August 15, 1992, during the 2nd show that Saturday night. Some of you have good memories and may have remembered listening to the Opry that night and hearing June. For those who did and remember, and for those who were too young to listen that night, I am posting the line up for that 2nd show on Saturday August 15, 1992.

9:30 Dollar General
Porter Wagoner (host): On A Highway Headed South
Skeeter Davis: The End of the World
Stonewall Jackson: Why I'mWalkin'
Bill Carlisle: Same Old Tale That The Crow Told Me
Alison Krauss: I Thought I Heard You Calling My Name/Standing By The Bedside of a Neighbor
Porter Wagoner: I'm Gonna Act Right

10:00 Little Debbie
Bill Monroe (host): Why Did You Wander
Roy Drusky: Blues In My Heart
David Houston: My Elusive Dreams
Bill Monroe: A Beautiful Life

10:15 Tennessee Pride/Sunbeam
Roy Acuff (host); Night Train To Memphis
4 Guys: My Prayer
June Webb: I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry/ Making Believe

10:30 Pet Milk
Ricky Skaggs (host): I Wouldn't Change You If I Could
The Whites: Pins and Needles
Ricky Skaggs: Country Boy

10:45: B.C.Powder
Jack Greene (host): Try A Little Kindness
Jan Howard: Rock Me Back To Little Rock/Evil On Your Mind
Opry Squaredance Band: Lost Indian
Jack Greene: There Goes My Everything

11:00 Coca-Cola
Hank Snow (host): I've Been Everywhere
Charlie Walker: Pick Me Up On Your Way Down
Jean Shepard: Above & Beyond
Charlie Louvin & Charles Whitstein: Knoxville Girl
Ray Pillow: Please Don't Leave Me Anymore
Hank Snow: My Little Old Home Down In New Orleans

11:30 Creamette's
Jimmy C. Newman (host): Colinda
Jim Ed Brown: The Three Bells
Connie Smih: Once A Day
Johnny Russell: In A Mansion Stands My Love/He'll Have To Go
Jimmy C. Newman: Jambalaya

Again, I hope you enjoy that look back to remember June and please check out her website: http://www.junewebbmusic.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment