Thursday, February 14, 2019

Grand Ole Opry 2/15 & 2/16

I want to start off with an apology for those of you who are having trouble commenting on the blog. As someone who is not a computer expert, I am not sure what happened as I didn't make any adjustments or changes on my end. Yesterday I went into the settings and made a verification adjustment, so hopefully that will help. If not, please let me know, which I am sure several of you will.

Now to the Grand Ole Opry this weekend that features a couple of interesting bookings. First, on Saturday night, Grand Ole Opry member Clint Black is scheduled. Clint is currently touring and it was nice of him to fit an Opry appearance into his schedule. This will be Clint's first appearance since June 2017, and prior to that appearance he had not appeared on the Opry since March 2014. Add it up and this will be his 4th Opry appearance in 5 years. Not a stellar record.

The other interesting guest scheduled is actor William Shatner, who will be appearing on the Friday Night Opry, along with Alabama member Jeff Cook. The Opry is advertising that this will be Shatner's Opry debut, although there is a report out there by Stacy Harris on her Music Row Report that he made a surprise appearance on the Opry several decades ago. I checked all my records and files and I can't find any Opry appearance by William Shatner. My guess is that if he did, it was a surprise walk-on that never got recorded, or perhaps it was at an awards show at the Opry House. Either way, he is scheduled to be there on Friday night.

Besides Clint Black, other Grand Ole Opry members scheduled this weekend include Mike Snider and Riders In The Sky for both Friday and Saturday night, while Larry Gatlin (minus his brothers), Bobby Osborne and Ricky Skaggs are listed for Friday, and Jeannie Seely, The Whites, Connie Smith and Steve Wariner are set for Saturday night. That comes out to 5 Opry members on Friday night and 7 on Saturday.

Guesting on the Friday Night Opry, in addition to William Shatner and Jeff Cook are Michael Tyler, Aaron Tippin, Holly Williams, Levi Hummon and the ever popular Hunter Hayes. Saturday night has Michael Ray, Gillian Welch & David Rawlings, Carly Pearce and making his Grand Ole Opry debut, Mitchell Tenpenny.

Friday February 15
7:00: Mike Snider (host); Michael Tyler; Aaron Tippin
7:30; Larry Gatlin (host); Holly Williams; Bobby Osborne & The Rocky Top X-Press
Intermission
8:15: Riders In The Sky (host); Levi Hummon; William Shatner with Jeff Cook
8:30: Ricky Skaggs (host); Hunter Hayes

Saturday February 16
7:00: Jeannie Seely (host); Michael Ray; Mike Snider
7:30: Riders In The Sky (host); The Whites; Gillian Welch & David Rawlings
Intermission
8:15: Connie Smith (host); Carly Pearce; Opry Square Dancers
8:45: Steve Wariner (host); Mitchell Tenpenny; Clint Black

As mentioned, this will be the Opry debut for Mitchell Tenpenny. Mitchell was born in Nashville, Tennessee and so far in his career he has released one album and two extended plays through Riser House Records. He charted in 2018 with the single "Drunk Me," which was released on Columbia Records Nashville.

Mitchell grew up listening to country, rock and R&B and has cited Vince Gill, John Mayer and Michael Jackson among his musical influences. He is a graduate of Middle Tennessee State University with a degree in music business. His first album, "Black Crow" was released in 2015 and did not chart. His second one, "Telling All My Secrets" came out in late 2018 and peaked at #5 on the US Country Chart.

Finally, I will add that it is nice to see Jeff Cook scheduled, For those who may not know, Jeff suffers from Parkinson's disease and has been struggling with it for the past several years. Alabama is currently touring and Jeff continues to perform with the group.
________________________________________________________________________

Now from February 20 & 21, 2009, the 3rd weekend in February ten years ago:

Friday February 20
8:00: Steve Wariner (host); Jim Ed Brown; Jeannie Seely; The Whites
8:30: Pam Tillis (host); Jesse McReynolds & The Virginia Boys; Jack Greene; Connie Smith
9:00: Bill Anderson (host); Jimmy C Newman; Mel McDaniel; Buddy Jewell
9:30: Mike Snider (host); John Conlee; Jean Shepard; Lee Greenwood

Saturday February 21
7:00: Steve Wariner (host); The Whites; Jean Shepard; Mike Snider
7:30: Hal Ketchum (host); Jeannie Seely; Jim Ed Brown; Joe Diffie
8:00: Mel Tillis (host); Bobby Osborne & The Rocky Top X-Press; Pam Tillis; Opry Square Dancers
8:30: Bill Anderson (host); Jan Howard; John Conlee; Lady Antebellum

From 25 years ago, Saturday February 19, 1994:

1st show
6:30: Ricky Skaggs (host); Skeeter Davis
6:45: Grandpa Jones (host); Hank Locklin; Jean Shepard
7:00: Jimmy Dickens (host); Charlie Louvin; Jeanne Pruett; Bill Carlisle; The Four Guys
7:30: Travis Tritt (host); Holly Dunn; Charley Pride; Jerry Reed
8:00: Porter Wagoner (host); Rhonda Vincent; The Whites; Opry Square Dance Band; Melvin Sloan Dancers
8:30: Hank Snow (host); Jim Ed Brown; Jimmy C Newman; Connie Smith; Billy Walker

2nd show
9:30: Porter Wagoner (host); Brother Oswald; Skeeter Davis; Jerry Reed
10:00: Grandpa Jones (host); Travis Tritt
10:15: Ricky Skaggs (host); The Whites
10:30: Jimmy Dickens (host); Jeanne Pruett
10:45: Jack Greene (host); Jean Shepard; Opry Square Dance Band; Melvin Sloan Dancers
11:00: Hank Snow (host); Holly Dunn; Charley Pride
11:30: Jim Ed Brown (host); Rhonda Vincent; Charlie Louvin; Johnny Russell

Finally, from 50 years ago, Saturday February 15, 1969:

7:30: Bill Anderson (host); Jim and Jesse; Jan Howard; Ernie Ashworth
8:00: Roy Acuff (host); Billy Walker; Jean Shepard; Del Wood; Joe Greene; Crook Brothers
8:30: Porter Wagoner (host); Bob Luman; Stu Phillips; Dolly Parton
9:00: George Morgan (host); Grandpa Jones; Margie Bowes; Fruit Jar Drinkers
9:30: Hank Snow (host); Willis Brothers; Billy Grammer
10:00: Billy Walker (host); Jim and Jesse; Jean Shepard
10:15: Roy Acuff (host); George Morgan; Del Wood
10:30: Bill Anderson (host); Willis Brothers; Ernie Ashworth; Jan Howard
10:45: Porter Wagoner (host); Dolly Parton; Crook Brothers
11:00: Hank Snow (host); Stu Phillips; Margie Bowes; Fruit Jar Drinkers; Sam McGee
11:30: Marty Robbins (host); Billy Grammer; Louie Roberts; Don Winters
__________________________________________________________________________

Looking back at past Grand Ole Opry dates, it was on Saturday February 16, 2002 that the Opry did a tribute to Waylon Jennings. Waylon had passed away three days earlier, on February 13, and while Waylon was never a member of the Opry, he played the Opry on occasion. He was also a friend to many of the Opry's members.

Here is the running order from that night 17 years ago, a show organized in part by Porter Wagoner, and featuring Travis Tritt, Marty Stuart and Hank Williams, Jr.

1st show
6:30: Bill Heard Chevrolet/Apple Barn
Jimmy Dickens (host): Me and My Big Loud Mouth
Jimmy C Newman: You Can Kiss My Ashley from Now On
Jim Ed Brown: The 3 Bells
John Conlee: Rockin' With You/The Old School
Jimmy Dickens: I Love Lucy Brown

7:00: Tootsie's/Rippy's/Standard Candy
Porter Wagoner (host): Theme from the Dukes of Hazard/Mama's, Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys/Good Hearted Woman
Marty Stuart ,Travis Tritt and Hank Williams, Jr: Only Daddy That'll Walk the Line/Are You Sure Hank Done it This Way
Travis Tritt: Where Corn Don't Grow/I've Always Been Crazy
Marty Stuart, Travis Tritt and Hank Williams, Jr: Lonesome, Ornery, and Mean
Hank Williams, Jr: This Time's Gonna Be the Last Time/All My Rowdy Friends Have Settled Down/Family Tradition
Porter Wagoner, Marty Stuart, Travis Tritt and Hank Williams, Jr: Outlaw's Reward

8:00: Martha White
Jean Shepard (host): Head Over Heels in Love with You
Charlie Louvin and Jennifer O'Brien: Something to Brag About
Lorrie Morgan: 29 Again and Holding
Lorrie Morgan and Sammy Kershaw: (?)
Opry Square Dance Band: Cherokee Shuffle

8:30: Physicians Mutual
Mike Snider (host): (?)
Steve Wariner: Kansas City Lights/Holes in the Floor of Heaven
Oak Ridge Boys: I'm Working on a Building/Life's Railway to Heaven/Elvira

2nd show
9:30: jettwilliams.com
Jimmy Dickens (host): Take an Old Cold Tater
Jimmy C Newman: You Can Kiss My Ashley from Now On
John Conlee: Got Me Heart Set on You
Lorrie Morgan: Standing Tall
Lorrie Morgan and Sammy Kershaw: (?)
Jimmy Dickens: Life Turned Her that Way

10:00: Lincoln Mercury/Shoney's
Porter Wagoner (host): Ol' Slewfoot
Steve Wariner: (?)
Travis Tritt: Best of Intentions/Modern Day Bonnie and Clyde

10:30: Honest Abe Homes/Joggin' In A Jug
Jeannie Seely (host): Those Memories
Jan Howard: Together When We Tried
Mel McDaniel: Louisiana Saturday Night/Stand Up
Opry Square Dance Band: Tennessee Waggoner
Jeannie Seely: Too Far Gone

11:00: Coca-Cola
Jean Shepard (host): Gone, Gone, Gone
Riders In The Sky: Rawhide/Red River Valley
Oak Ridge Boys: Working On a Building/One in a Million/Elvira
Jean Shepard: I'm Just an Old Bridge That You Keep Burning

11:30: Opry at the Ryman
Mike Snider (host): (?)
Charlie Louvin: Will You Visit Me on Sundays
Ray Pillow: Someone Had to Teach You
Jack Greene: Walking on New Grass/This One Belongs to Me
Mike Snider: Arkansas Traveler

There you have it for this week. I hope everyone enjoys the Opry this weekend!!









20 comments:

  1. I saw Jeff Cook on the Country Music Cruise, and I'm amazed he can still perform. Good for him! Can't imagine him hooking up with a nut like Shatner, but it should be VERY interesting.
    Last night's McCoury 80th birthday was absolutely amazing, and so was WSM following the show, playing hard country traditional country music. WSM is about all that's left for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who do you guys see going into the Hall of Fame this year?.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to say that it is no surprise, but Clint Black has cancelled his Saturday night Grand Ole Opry appearance. He posted on his Twitter account that he is suffering from the flu. Sorry to see this. Clint makes very few Opry appearances and he has had a habit of cancelling. Hope he is able to reschedule soon. As of Friday morning, no replacement has been listed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Blue Flu was when you couldn't report to work on Mondays because of a long weekend. Clint suffers from the Opry Flu, which is a disease that keeps people from fulfilling their obligations to something they claim to care about. It's an epidemic among certain Opry members.

      Delete
    2. That info on Clint Black's Opry appearances is really sad. I'm sorry to hear he is sick. I hope he gets better soon and can reschedule his appearance. Bob

      Delete
    3. Looks like Bryan White is taking Clint Black's place. Bob

      Delete
  4. Who do you guys see being inducted into the Hall of Fame this year?.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll try to keep my comment short: I was at both this week's Tuesday Night and Wednesday Night Opry (Del McCoury's 80th Birthday). They were just miles apart in difference. I never left my seat during the Grand "Del" Opry - it was just pure joy from start to finish. If you didn't hear it go back and listen to the archive. Jesse McReynolds looked and sounded great. I felt fortunate to see him one more time - and he got a tremendous ovation. My favorite part of the entire show was when Del called everyone back to the stage to close with Rolling in My Sweet Baby's Arms and I Saw the Light - just like the old days. Electric when the curtain came down and the audience was on its feet. Proves that when the Opry can line up some members, the shows are just like the old days. Now for Tuesday: I went because I was in town and Connie Smith and Daily and Vincent were on the show. Daily and Vincent opened with a fiddle number theme song went the curtain went up. They were outstanding. Connie sounded good as always but I did notice that she seems to be slowing down and didn't look well - but hey, what is she, like 77 years old? Would have been nice if Daily & Vince and Connie would have gotten four songs a piece instead of just three. Ashley Campbell has always been good every time I've seen her. Now on to the rest: Travis Denning is one of the "Opry Next" stars this year. He was terrible. More like screaming. Then came intermission. I have to stay I'd never heard of Justin Moore (who apparently has has seven number one hits, whatever that means these days). I liked him better than I thought I would. The Davissson Brothers band was high energy but the lead singer kept jumping around kicking his legs and did this weird yodel. I kept thinking Mr. Acuff would be spinning in his grave while the audience was eating it up. And finally Chris Janson. While he's not my thing he was energetic. I'll also say one other thing that grates on me about these kids today in country music: both Travis Denning and Justin Moore each did a song dedicated out to the "men and women that serve, the first responders, etc.) Ironic to me when these kids who never served themselves wrap themselves up in these faux patriotic songs to get a rise out of the audience. And if Travis Denning is the best the Opry can do for Next, god help us all. Both shows cost me $83 each with handling charges (you have to pay $2.50 to download your ticket on your phone?) I'm glad I got to see Daily & Vincent and Connie but for what I got at the Grand Del Opry, that Tuesday show wasn't worth $83! One thing else quickly: I went out to Bon Aqua Tennessee to tour the Johnny Cash farm. WELL worth the experience. (oldtimeopry)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oldtimeopry:

    I could probably write as much as you did. Thanks for the great report. I will listen to the Del McCoury show as soon as it is posted. I only caught that ending you described.

    As for some of the newer acts, it sure feels like they have been coached on what to say, what to sing, how to dress, how to act, just to get applause or likes on Facebook. Maybe I'm wrong and it is because I can't get into the new way the music sounds, but the authenticity just doesn't seem to be there.

    I have no real opinion one way or the other about William Shatner.....I was never a Treky or whatever you would call that. So, nothing against him but last night he did what a lot of new acts do on the Opry. He dropped familiar names not really understanding where he was....or was afraid if he mention a vintage Opry star, the crowd would not know them. He mentioned Merle Haggard who appeared on the OPry, what, a half dozen times, and Glen Campbell which if memory serves, appeared twice. But he could feel their ghosts in the building!

    I just don't like being played by people who do not know what they are talking about or really don't feel what they are singing or saying.

    But, look around us, it's everywhere, at least according to the TV and the net.

    Buddy, we are relics and out time has past!

    Jim
    Knightsville, IN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a question for ya'll. Does Whisperin Bill Anderson ever get tired of writing or recording GREAT songs? Bob

      Delete
  7. Bob: Thanks for that question. It gives me a chance to share some more thoughts and feelings!

    Eighteen years ago come April, Bill Anderson and Jan Howard played Nashville North USA in Taylorville, Illinois. After the show while visiting with Bill and Jan, I made the comment to Bill that we were thankful he was still performing. He said "I don't know what else I would do".

    That was a time when we were seeing a performance on average of about one a month. We had just seen Hank Thompson earlier in the month at the same place. At that time it never occurred to me that over fifteen years later, Bill Anderson would still be writing songs, albeit with other writers, that would be recorded and chart by current artist. And, he would still be doing several road shows a year.

    Harlan Howard was one of the all time great writers in Country Music. But I'm not sure he had as much of an identifiable style as Bill Anderson. May brother and I can do a pretty good job identifying a song written by Bill even if we have never heard it before.

    Could anybody else write a song called Happy Birthday to Me with a line like "I unwrapped the tiny package that I bought myself, then I sang happy Birthday to me"? Or a song called Death in the family with a line like, "there's been a death in the family, Mary's love for me and my poor heart"? Or what about Born:
    "On the day I was born everyone laughed but I cried"
    "They say I was born with a silver tear in my eye"
    "Must have been, I felt the wind on that cold November morn"
    "And I knew it would blow me no good from the day I was born"
    "I was born at an early age and that's when I'll die"
    --"Some loves come up roses, my love came up thorns"

    Our mother passed in April 2015 and I have never ask my brother what prompted him to Facebook Bill but he did. I think the this music has been so much a part of us that he couldn't help but think of songs and lyrics that fit. He told Bill we had just lost mom and ask how he kept his sanity and wrote a song like "Think I'll Go Somewhere and Cry Myself to Sleep". Bill wrote back expressing his sympathy and then ask what made my brother think he was able to keep his sanity and write something like that. He said he was living that song when he wrote it! Think about "My Christmas List Gets Shorter Every Year", he tells on the Opry he was living that too.

    Then there is a song like "Where Have All Our Hero's Gone" which he wrote with newspaper man Bob Talbert that went to #6 in 1970. I ask Bill about performing it today and he said "I don't think people would accept it or understand". From an artist perspective I accept that but as a fan I think it still fits! And now we have Old Army Hat which I just can't listen to without tearing up. And Bill said they are looking at it as the basis for a movie!

    I cite all of these things for this. We all have our faults and regrets. Sometimes no matter how hard we try, we end up hurting someone we love or not treating someone the way we know we should have. No human is perfect. What I think you get when you listen to a song Bill Anderson sings or has written, is insight to who he is. (Now that statement might make you wonder about a song like The First Mrs. Jones "Now don't you wanta' come go with me, after all, you are the second Mrs. Jones").

    Oh he has done many lighter songs to keep with the times and try to attract new and younger fans, but he has always remained grounded with true to life songs that represent most of the real feelings us common folks have, including, lost love, the death of loved ones, love of country, god and our fellow man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hank Snow once introduced Charlie Louvin something like this: "Now here is a guy who always comes up with the best songs, he must just turn over a rock and there they are". Well, under some of those rocks were Bill Anderson songs!

    In my opinion Bob, the answer to your question is no, he never gets tired of singing and writing great songs. And we never get tired of hearing them.

    Just a bit more. Over the years we have talked about Roy Acuff, Porter Wagoner and Jimmy Dickens being the face of the Opry or the artist spokesman for the Opry. There are some others like ET and Jean Shepard that could fit in there too. But you don't hear Bill Anderson mentioned too often. I think the Opry means as much to him as anyone that has ever walked that stage. He is great historian of the Opry because he got there in time to know many of those who put the Opry in the national spotlight. Further, with all of his abilities as a radio and TV host, a writer and and great interviewer, he helps keep the history of the Opry alive and passes it on to the younger generation he gets to mingle with. I sure hope that Sally Williams is still there in 2021 and the Opry gives him the 60th anniversary celebration he deserves.

    Jim
    Knightsville, IN

    ReplyDelete
  9. You all have really hit the nail on the head when talking about Bill Anderson. I have to mention a couple of things. One is that he hasn't struck me as the "face" of the Opry in part because the others mentioned not only came along a bit earlier, but also because he IS Whispering Bill. He's quiet. You might not know he's in the room. Mr. Acuff, The Potato, and Ol' Slicknickel? You knew when they were within a mile of the room. That doesn't make them bad people at all--it's not a criticism. But they were different. Bill is Bill.

    About his songwriting ... a #1 on the charts in every decade since the 1950s? Nobody can come close that I know of. He did say he quit writing for about a decade when he brought in some songs in the 1980s and they were dismissed as too country (sounds like a song title he came up with ...). Then Steve Wariner had a hit with "Tips of My Fingers," and he thought, well, maybe, and then someone told him he should talk with Vince Gill about songwriting. Although both were Opry members, Bill said he couldn't conceive of it or of Vince wanting anything to do with him. He called and it turns out Vince changes his answering machine message as the mood suits him, and when the recording came on, Bill heard a very quiet voice say, "This is Whispering Gill." He hadn't written much with others over the years, and now he's doing that and the results have been great.

    He wrote a song with Jon Randall. I had on the TV and a video was running for a song called "Whiskey Lullaby." I didn't know who wrote it, but of course Alison Krauss sings like an angel and I didn't know then that Brad Paisley didn't love the Opry as much as he claimed, so I was just enjoying it. Then I heard the line, "He put the bottle to his head and pulled the trigger." I sat bolt upright and said out loud, "Bill Anderson." I think he once said Jon Randall wrote that line. Maybe. But--no offense to another talented fellow--if so, he couldn't have written it without Bill Anderson in the room.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michael:

    Point well taken about Bill being quiet and not drawing attention. And maybe that is why he is not seen in the same light as the others you mentioned.

    Another line in a newer song that gets me is "I just crushed a dixie cup for running our of wine" in When A Man Can't Get A Woman Off His Mind!

    Jim
    Knightsville, IN

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jim,
    I'm pretty sure that Bill gave credit to the song "When A Man Can't Get A Woman Off His Mind" for prompting him to write the song "Too Country."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Nat:

    I think you are correct and that is consistent with what I am saying about his writing general represents who he is. I just wonder how many time he set down to write with the thought that he needed to write a hit or something commercial to get air play. I tend to think not very often!

    Jim
    Knightsville, IN

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree, he just WRITES.

    ReplyDelete
  14. About 10 years ago , we had a small country music radio station here near Flint , Mich . A DJ mentioned he was looking into personally promoting a real country music show and wrote several letters to various artists seeking advice. Bill Anderson was the only one who took the time and consideration to answer his letter. For what it is worth --- Dashmann, Flushing, Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Reminds me of the last spoken line in the Randolph Scott Western "Ride Lonesome" After getting the man who hung his wife to a tree, Scott burns the hanging tree. As Parnell Roberts, James Coeburn, James Best and Karen Steele ride away and look back, Roberts says: "That figures"

    I try to limit myself to contacting these folks but any time over the past 25 years I have written or emailed Bill, he has always responded. At one of the recent shows, he made the comment that he may not have the most fans but he sure he has the most loyal! Wonder why!

    Jim
    Knightsville, IN

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, we have been "loyal" fans of Bill Anderson for almost 50 years, have seen him perform in numerous locations in addition to the Grand Ole Opry and the Country Family Reunion Cruise. He is the consummate performer and a true gentleman. At so many of the shows we were able to talk with him, get autographs, pose for photos, etc. Our collection of his music is extensive. Our most recent opportunity was in early December - he gave a fantastic show and came out after to meet all the fans who chose to stay. His writing is exceptional,he is a true poet. Is there anyone in the industry who has not been touched by Bill, either from his writing a song they took, to performing with him, to being interviewed by him, to writing with him, and the list just goes on. He is the epitome of true country music and yes, he is the Grand Ole Opry. FROM Anonymous in PA.

    ReplyDelete