Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Grand Ole Opry August 29

In case anyone missed this news out of Nashville last week, courtesy of the Ernest Tubb Record Shop:

"8/18/2020... A date that will be in the country music history books. The question often comes up, like the old song, “Who’s gonna fill their shoes?”... Well today, after 52 years, at the helm of The Ernest Tubb Record Shop, The Midnight Jamboree, and The Texas Troubadour Theater, David McCormick has officially decided he’s ready to sit back and enjoy what he’s worked so hard for all of these years. David is proud and honored to pass the torch to his friend and brother for over 25 years, JesseLee Jones -Brazilbilly , and his wife, Emily Ann Cavalcanti . Most of you know JesseLee as “Brazilbilly”, and the proprietor of Robert's Western World , one of the last true Honky Tonks in town. JesseLee and Emily believe in tradition. They stand for and defend the music that made our beloved “Music City”, and will fight to protect and preserve everything the Ernest Tubb Record Shop and The Midnight Jamboree stand for. David simply asks you all to welcome them with open and loving arms as they forge ahead to keep this 73+ years of Ernest Tubb alive and well! David also wants to send a special note of thanks and love to all of his friends and music family that have made the years so very special for him. As soon as we can, we will be putting together a special celebration and will keep everyone posted on details when we have them. David wanted us to be sure we signed this post off with “Thanks A Lot”, and he loves you all."

I believe this is a good move for the Ernest Tubb Record Shop and the Midnight Jamboree. We all know that recent years have not been kind to either of these Nashville institutions. Hopefully, the Midnight Jamboree will be up and running again as soon as it is safe to do so and the Ernest Tubb Record Shop will continue to be the place to go for country music of all kinds.
______________________________________________________________________

Last week was another nice show for the Grand Ole Opry as the circle remains unbroken. It was nice to see Opry member Pam Tillis making an appearance in recognition of her 20th anniversary as an Opry member. Joining Pam was Jon Pardi, who I thought did a nice job, along with Runaway June.

This week, Opry member Steve Wariner will be heading up the broadcast, making his second appearance since the Opry began this series of Saturday night shows. Joining Steve will be Ingrid Andress and Jordan Davis. So a little something for everyone this week.
____________________________________________________________________

Now, from 50 years ago, Saturday August 28, 1970

1st show
6:30: Jim and Jesse (host); Jay Lee Webb; Carol Johnson
6:45: Stu Phillips (host); Johnny Seay; Lorene Mann
7:00: Roy Drusky (host); Gary and Randy Scruggs; Del Wood; Louie Roberts
7:30: Roy Acuff (host); Stan Hitchcock; Karen Wheeler; Crook Brothers
8:00: Del Reeves (host); Tom T Hall; Norro Wilson; Cousin Jody
8:30: Hank Locklin (host); The Four Guys; Carl and Pearl Butler; Fruit Jar Drinkers

2nd show
9:30: Stu Phillips (host); Johnny Seay; Karen Wheeler; Jay Lee Webb
10:00: The Four Guys (host); Lorene Mann; Louie Roberts
10:15: Jim and Jesse (host); Del Wood; Carol Johnson
10:30: Roy Acuff (host); Gary and Randy Scruggs; Carl and Pearl Butler
10:45: Roy Acuff (host); Cousin Jody: Crook Brothers
11:00: Del Reeves (host); Stan Hitchcock; Sam McGee
11:30: Hank Locklin (host); Tom T Hall

A very thin night of Opry members. In fact, on the late show, Roy Acuff hosted two segments due to a lack of members (remember that Tom T was not an Opry member at the time). On a happy note, it was nice to see an appearance by former members Carl and Pearl Butler.
_______________________________________________________________________

August 28, 1976 was a special night for Jimmy C Newman as he was recognized upon his 20th anniversary as a member of the Grand Ole Opry.

Here is the running order from that night 44 years ago:

1st show
6:30: Mrs. Grissoms
Billy Grammer (host): Gotta Travel On
Melba Montgomery: No Charge
Billy Grammer: Amazing Grace

6:45: Rudy's
Wilburn Brothers (host): Country Honey
Cledus Maggard: The White Knight
Mike Lunsford: Honey Hungry
Wilburn Brothers: Knoxville Girl

7:00: Shoney's
Wilma Lee and Stoney Cooper (host): Bury Me Beneath the Willow
Don Gibson: Doin' My Time
Lonzo and Oscar: Green, Green Grass of Home
Stoney Cooper: (?)
Bill Carlisle: Shanghai Rooster
Don Gibson: A Legend in My Time

7:30: Standard Candy
Roy Acuff (host): Wabash Cannonball
Jean Shepard: Seven Lonely Days
George Hamilton IV: Break My Mind
Crook Brothers and The Tennessee Travelers: Cotton Eyed Joe
Jean Shepard: Ain't Love Good
George Hamilton IV: Abilene
Roy Acuff: I Saw the Light

8:00: Martha White
Roy Drusky (host): Strangers
The Four Guys: In the Morning Sun
Larry Gatlin: Broken Lady/The Bitter They Are
Marion Worth: Okie from Muskogee
The Four Guys: Turn Around; Look at Me
Roy Drusky: One Day at a Time

8:30: Stephens
Jimmy C Newman (host): Jambalaya
Stu Phillips: There Must be Another Way to Say Goodbye
Micki Fuhrman: I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
Kenny Roberts: I Miss My Swiss; My Swiss Miss Misses Me
Fruit Jr Drinkers: Walking in My Sleep
Jimmy C Newman: Diggy Liggy Lo

2nd show
9:30: Kellogg's
George Hamilton IV (host): Early Morning Rain
Billy Grammer: (?)
Cledus Haggard: The Torn Flag
Mike Lunsford: Honey Hungry
Billy Grammer: Somewhere My Love
George Hamilton IV: Canadian Pacific

10:00: Fender
Roy Acuff (host): Little Pal
Jean Shepard: Ain't Love Good
Bill Carlisle: Hand Me Down My Walking Cane
Roy Acuff: Cabin in Gloryland

10:15: Union 76
Wilma Lee and Stoney Cooper (host): Curly Headed Baby
Wilburn Brothers: Country Kind of Feelings
Melba Montgomery: Lonely Street
Wilma Lee and Stoney Cooper: When My Time Comes to Go

10:30: Trailblazer
Roy Drusky (host): Second Hand Rose
Don Gibson: Oh, Lonesome Me/I Can't Stop Loving You
Roy Drusky: Deep in the Heart of Dixie

10:45: Beechnut
The Four Guys (host): In the Morning Rain
Marion Worth: You Win Again
Crook Brothers and The Tennessee Travelers: Rachel
The Four Guys: Hello Walls/Big Bad John/Wings of a Dove

11:00: Coca Cola
Jimmy C Newman (host): When the Saints Go Marching In
Larry Gatlin: Broken Lady/The Heart
Fruit Jar Drinkers: Hickory Leaf
Jimmy C Newman: Cry, Cry Darling
Kirk McGee: Wheels
Jimmy C Newman: Diggy Liggy Lo

11:30: Elm Hill
Stu Phillips (host): Have I Told You Lately That I Love You/You Win Again/Release Me
Micki Fuhrman: I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry/One Day at a Time
Kenny Roberts: She Taught Me to Yodel/Stolen Hours
Stu Phillips: It Is No Secret

I saw the name Cledus Maggard on this line-up and smiled thinking about his song "The White Knight." Who else remembers that one?

Micki Fuhrman was a name that I had not seen previously on the Opry and I name that I did not recognize. The following is from her website:

"Louisiana-bred Micki Fuhrman comes by her chops honestly. She grew up in a home
with a perpetual soundtrack of classic country including Ray Charles, Jim Reeves and
Tammy Wynette. By the age of seven she was singing in her grandmother's rural
church...at thirteen she joined a contemporary Christian band and by fifteen was
headlining Shreveport's venerable "Louisiana Hayride." She recorded for MCA and
Word Records, becoming one of the earliest artists to span both secular and Christian
markets. Micki garnered guest spots on "The Grand Ole Opry" and toured with several
major artists."

It would appear that she is still active today.
_____________________________________________________________________

I know I post this pretty much every year, but August 28, 1982 was the final night that Marty Robbins performed on the Opry. As usual, he closed out the show. Since Marty only appeared n the 2nd show that night, here is the running order from that show 38 years ago:

9:30: Kellogg's
Porter Wagoner (host): Company's Comin'
The Four Guys: Marie, The Dawn is Breaking
Jean Shepard: I Thought of You/It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels/You Win Again/A Dear John Letter
Wilburn Brothers: Arkansas
Skeeter Davis: Satisfied
Mac Magaha: Rocky Top
Porter Wagoner: I've Enjoyed as Much of This as I Can Stand

10:00: Little Debbie
Jimmy C Newman (host): Jambalaya
Lonzo and Oscar: I'm M Own Grandpa
Cajun Country: Cajun Stripper

10:15: Sunbeam
Grandpa Jones (host): Little Pink
Vic Willis Trio: Last Cheater's Waltz
Ray Pillow: Too Many Memories
Grandpa Jones: Fallen Leaves

10:30: Martha White
Roy Acuff (host): Back in the Country
Wilma Lee Cooper: When My Time Comes to Go
Del Wood: Keep on the Firing Line
Roy Acuff: Lord, Don't Give Up on Me

10:45: Beechnut
Roy Drusky (host): Fraulein
Connie Smith: 'Til I Kissed Ya
Crook Brothers and The Stoney Mountain Cloggers: Lafayette
Roy Drusky: Slowly

11:00: Coca Cola
Hank Snow (host): Send Me the Pillow You Dream On
Jan Howard: When I Dream
Jim and Jesse: The Magic Little Garden
Fruit Jar Drinkers: Sugar Tree Stomp
Justin Tubb: Pull the Covers Over Me
Kirk McGee: St. James Infirmary
Hank Snow: My Happiness

11:30: Bama
Marty Robbins (host): Ribbon of Darkness
Jeannie Seely: You Don't Know Me, But You Will/I'm All Through Crying Over You
Charlie Louvin: I Don't Love You Anymore/Think I'll Go Somewhere and Cry Myself to Sleep/See the Big Man Cry
Bill Carlisle: Have a Drink on Me
Marty Robbins: Don't Worry/This is the Moment/Some Memories Just Won't Die/Return to Me/Beyond the Reef/That's All Right/To Get to You/Tonight Carmen/Don't Let Me Touch You/Cool Water/18 Yellow Roses/Love Me/El Paso

Marty's final Opry segment lasted just over one hour.

There you have it for this week. As always, thanks for reading and commenting and I hope everyone enjoys the Grand Ole Opry this Saturday night.







18 comments:

  1. I wish David a long and happy retirement and I wish JessieLee and Emily Ann a fruitful career with the ETRS & MJ. The Midnite Jamboree is the best value in Nashville, so I really hope it's able to resume shows soon. Even if they have to start charging an admission, I'm certain it would still be a great value.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hear a live ET's record shop broadcast back on WSM.
    I hope the Record Shop can get a free hour of broadcast time from WSM.
    It has always been the ideal venue for brand new artists to be heard on WSM, if you all catch my drift. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish David the best in his retirement. Good Luck Jessie Lee and Emily Ann. Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's to David, the ET Record Shop, the Midnight Jamboree, and the new bosses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard once on a radio show that Cledus Maggard’s “White Knight” was the biggest country one hit wonder of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I have talked about this before but we owe a big thanks to David and his team for looking out for our beloved veterans over the years. I know, I can always throw in a sour note but, many a anniversary was neglected by the Opry especially during the Fisher rein but you could count on David and the Record Shop to give a nice celebration and party with a great show. We would have lost a lot more opportunities to hear traditional country and the veterans a lot faster had it not been for David McCormick's dedication. Carrying on the Midnight Jamboree has also kept ET's tradition of interaction with the fans alive and gave us a chance to meet folks that we might not have met anywhere else.

    Jim
    Knightsville, IN

    ReplyDelete
  7. We should all support Robert's Western World AND the ET record shop. They now have the same owner.
    Both are bastions of traditional country music.
    As an example, Joshua Hedley plays at Robert's tomorrow night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. THanks to David for keeping artists like Leona Williams, Wanda Jackson, Roni Stoneman and so many others like these former big stars on the airwaves for our enjoyment. One big thrill for me was booking Yodeling Kenny Roberts on ETRS a few years back. Kenny had so many neat hits in the 40s and 50s and in the 60s moved to the Saginaw, Michigan area to do an afternoon kid's cartoon show with plenty of solo singing, picking and yodeling. In Summer of '64, I worked in a convenience store and Kenny would stop in once in while. Kenny was always fun to talk to and the nicest person you would ever find anywhere. So happy retirement David ----- I have been a faithful ETRS listener for 60 years ---country when country wasn't cool !!! Dashmann, Flushing, Michigan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dashmann, my mother collected a lot of albums, and one of her favorites was a Kenny Roberts greatest hits album. Thanks for talking about him.

      Delete
    2. Michael, your Mom picked a good guy to be one of her favorites ---- Kenny wore that same wonderful smile on camera, and also into my store a few times -- I knew who he was and was country growing up. His "Chocolate Ice Cream Cone" I still love ----we had some nice talks - just a wonderful man -- Dashmann

      Delete
    3. Ashamedly, I'd never heard of Kenny Roberts, so the conversation piqued my interest, so I looked for him on YouTube and found some great things. Here is a full episode of a show he was on in 1953 - the TV Show is The Old American Barn Dance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Ssw3DDcmc&feature=youtu.be

      Here he is on an episode of The Porter Wagoner Show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpwcPmivcLw

      Delete
  9. Be Better To Your Neighbors And Your Going To Have Better Neighbors. God Darn You. Bob

    ReplyDelete
  10. Week 25 is in the books and I thought it was a pretty solid show last night. Always enjoy Steve Wariner. Great guitarist and host. Jordan Davis and Ingrid Andress were both very good, although my wife commented that Ingrid didn't really sound country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your wife, Jordan Davis was good though. But, I could have listened to a solid hour of Steve Wariner.

      Delete
  11. At this point , I truly wonder if the old Opry will never again be like it was after the virus is gone and when will it truly be gone and all of us can safely gather together like we used to -- ?? We need to be able to mingle again and appreciate a show as brothers and sisters in a close setting. We never had to question that crowd feeling until March 2020 --- and then the bottom dropped out ---- I want to feel good about hugging someone again ---- how long will it take ?????? I love people --- I don't want to have to avoid them --- I'm 77 years old ---- I feel abandoned ---- anyone else feel this way ???? Dashmann, Flushing, Michigan ---

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dashmann,
    I'm 72, and I hear ya' big time.
    I've been blessed. My family, kids and grand-kids, are all in town. So we get to babysit and meet as a family regularly.
    Not everyone is so blessed.
    I MISS group gatherings though. Badly.
    Can't wait for the 'Opry to return as normal, to go to Robert's Western World and see Rachael Hester and her band.
    Well, you get the idea!
    How long? Well, I have hope, but I honestly wonder if the world will ever return to 100% normal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dashmann, we had not seen our family either for a good while and finally our son drove to our house with our granddaughter and we visited in the driveway - I couldn't believe the weight that was lifted about my feelings. That was in April. We have managed to visit in better circumstances since then. The other big thing that I miss the most is "live" performances (music, shows, etc). We were able to go to an outdoor event (with a few precautions) last Saturday (in Colorado) called "God and Country" a tribute to Veterans, Law Enforcement and First Responders - it was wonderful to be out and enjoy good wholesome entertainment again. (from Anonymous in PA)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What part of PA ??? My wife grew up in Swissvale, Pa , in the Pittsburgh area. I learned to love that area as well as my native Michigan. I'm almost 100 % Country and Bluegrass, but on two occasions, we were able to drive down to see Johnny Mathis with the Pittsburgh Symphony at Heinz Hall !!! What awonderful singer with a grand orchestra !!!!! Just like Country, you could understand every word Johnny sang !! All my best wishes --- Dashmann --

      Delete