Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Grand Ole Opry 12/18 & 12/19

It's the final weekend before Christmas and I hope everyone has all of their holiday shopping and shipping done. If any of you are waiting anxiously for UPS, FedEx, or the USPS for your delivery, I hope it goes well and you receive everything on time. Fortunately at our house, it has all worked out. 

I can remember many of the December shows at the Opry featuring great line-ups, with lots of Grand Ole Opry members, and plenty of Christmas music. Sadly, in the world we currently live in, the large line-ups will not be happening but hopefully some Christmas music will be on tap. 

Looking at the schedule for this weekend, I am very pleased to see that Riders In The Sky are listed for both the Friday and Saturday night shows. They have been missed and this will be their first Opry appearances since March. Joining the group on Friday night will be a return appearance by Connie Smith and Marty Stuart. I know last week they did a fantastic job. Also appearing on Friday night will be Opry member Chris Janson, along with guest artists Smithfield and RaeLynn. As in past weeks, another 90 minute show with six artists. 

Joining the Riders on Saturday's Grand Ole Opry will be Opry members Jeannie Seely and Kelsea Ballerini. Also appearing will Lauren Alaina, and two acts who I believe would make good Opry members some day, Kathy Mattea and Lady A. 

Friday December 18
7:00: Riders In The Sky; Smithfield
7:30: Connie Smith; Marty Stuart
8:00: RaeLynn; Chris Janson

Saturday December 19
7:00: Opry Square Dancers; Jeannie Seely; Kathy Mattea; Riders In The Sky
8:00: Kelsea Ballerini; Lauren Alaina; Lady A

As always, any changes will be updated. 
___________________________________________________________________________

And now, from 50 years ago. Saturday December 19, 1970: 

7:00: Rudy's
Bill Monroe (host): Bluegrass Breakdown
Ray Pillow: Heart Over Mind
Stringbean: Run, Little Rabbit, Run
The 4 Guys: Get Together/Let the Sunshine In
Bill Monroe: Christmas Time's 'A Comin'
Ray Pillow: Take Me As I Am
Stringbean: Ol' Rattler
The 4 Guys: One Pair of Hands
Bill Monroe: Panhandle Country

7:30: Standard Candy
Bill Anderson (host): Wild Weekend
Bobby Bare: Detroit City
Charlie Louvin and Diane McCall: Something to Brag About
Bill Carlisle: Hand Me Down My Walking Cane
Bill Anderson: Love Is A Sometimes Thing
Jan Howard: Rock Me Back to Little Rock
Bobby Bare: Come Sundown
Charlie Louvin: She Even Woke Me Up to Say Goodbye
Bill Anderson: Where Have All the Heroes Gone

8:00: Martha White
Roy Acuff (host): Sunshine Special
Jean Shepard: Today I Started Loving You Again
Jim Ed Brown: Morning
Archie Campbell: Comedy
Roy Acuff: Pins & Needles
Crook Brothers: Black Mountain Rag
Jean Shepard: Another Lonely Night
Howdy Forrester: Instrumental

8:30: Stephens
Porter Wagoner (host): Dooley
Dolly Parton: Joshua
Del Reeves: Girl on the Billboard
Wilma Lee and Stoney Cooper: There's A Big Wheel
Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton: Daddy Was An Old Time Preacher Man
Jim and Jesse: I've Got a Freight Train on My Mind
Dolly Parton: Mule Skinner Blues
Del Reeves: Help Me Make it Through the Night

9:00: Luzianne
Ernest Tubb (host): A Good Year for the Wine
Jack Greene: Wanting You, But Never Having You
Jeannie Seely: Please Be My New Love
Fruit Jar Drinkers: Hickory Leaf
Ernest Tubb: Blue Christmas
Jack Greene: The Great Speckled Bird
Jimmy Dry: Wild Side of Life
Jeannie Seely: It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels
Leon Boulanger: For the Good Times

9:30: Kellogg's
Hank Snow (host): Ninety Miles an Hour
Willis Brothers: There Goes the Farm
Ray Pillow: Tonight I'm Going Out and Burn Some Bridges
Stu Phillips: Crystal Chandeliers
Hank Snow: Christmas Roses
Willis Brothers: Christmas Carols by the Old Corral
Ray Pillow: You Don't Care What Happens to Me
Hank Snow: Let Me Go Lover

10:00: Fender
Bill Anderson (host): I Love You Drops
Stringbean: Ol' Man, Can You Play A Banjo
Jan Howard: Let it Be
The 4 Guys: Daddy Sang Bass
Bill Anderson and Jan Howard: Someday We'll Be Together

10:15: Union 76
Porter Wagoner (host) and Dolly Parton: The Last Thing on My Mind/Holding on to Nothing/Daddy Was An Old Time Preacher Man
Dolly Parton: Joshua
Bobby Bare: Miller's Cave
Jim Ed Brown: Morning
Bill Carlisle: No Help Wanted

10:30: Trailblazer
Roy Acuff (host): Wabash Cannonball
Bill Monroe: Rawhide
Jean Shepard: Another Lonely Night
Archie Campbell: Long Black Limousine
Willis Brothers: Give Me 40 Acres
Roy Acuff: The Great Speckled Bird

10:45: Beechnut
Ernest Tubb (host): In the Jailhouse Now
Jack Greene: Something Unseen 
Jeannie Seely: I Never Once Stopped Loving You
Crook Brothers: Arkansas Traveler
Wilma Lee Cooper: Shackles & Chains

11:00: Coca Cola
Hank Snow (host): The Man Behind the Gun
Del Reeves: Help Me Make it Through the Night
Charlie Louvin: Don't Believe You've Met My Baby/Don't Laugh/My Baby's Gone/When I Stop Dreaming
Fruit Jar Drinkers: Lost Indian
Del Reeves: Whole Lotta Shaking Going On
Charlie Louvin: Little Reasons/Will You Visit Me on Sundays/What Are Those Things
Sam McGee: San Antonio Rose
Hank Snow: God Is My Santa Claus

11:30: Lava
Marty Robbins (host): Devil Woman
Jim and Jesse: Ballad of Thunder Road
Stu Phillips: For the Good Times
Jim and Jesse: Strong Horizons
Marty Robbins: I Walk Alone/Bouquet of Roses/Shackles & Chains/I Could Never Be Ashamed of You/Oh, How I Miss You/Big Boss Man/Padre
_____________________________________________________________________

Back in 1975, Johnny Cash was at the height of his career, coming off his ABC television show and his award winning prison albums. There was nobody as big as Johnny. Johnny, of course, was an Opry member earlier in his career but was asked to leave and not come back after the famous incident of smashing out the stage lights. However, after getting himself straight and off drugs, and as he reformed his image, the Opry welcomed him back several times for guest appearances. December 20, 1975 was one of those nights. 

1st show
6:30: Mrs. Grissoms
Bill Anderson (host): Po' Folks Christmas
Skeeter Davis: On the Way Home
Justin Tubb: Cold Brown Bottle
Bill Anderson: A World of Make Believe

6:45: Rudy's
Ernest Tubb (host): If You Don't Quit Checking on Me
Del Reeves: Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song
Charlie Louvin: When I Stop Dreaming
Ernest Tubb: Blue Christmas

7:00: Shoney's
Porter Wagoner (host): A Highway Headed South
Jean Shepard: Another Neon Night
Wilma Lee and Stoney Cooper: Walking My Lord Up Calvary's Hill
Billy Grammer: Just A Closer Walk With Thee
Bobby Lord: Rainbow Girl
Jim and Jesse: Paradise
Porter Wagoner: Happy Birthday Jesus

7:30: Standard Candy
Roy Acuff (host): Wabash Cannonball
Stonewall Jackson: Don't Be Angry
Johnny Cash: Folsom Prison Blues/Texas 1947
Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash: Jackson
Johnny Cash: I Walk the Line
Crook Brothers and The Tennessee Travelers: Cotton-Eyed Joe
Roy Acuff: Will the Circle Be Unbroken

8:00: Martha White
Lester Flatt (host): Salty Dog Blues
Grandpa Jones: Christmas Guest
Roy Drusky: Bouquet of Roses
Hank Locklin: Send Me the Pillow You Dream On
Billy Walker: Don't Stop in My World
The 4 Guys: Let There Be Peace
Marty Stuart: Fire on the Mountain

8:30: Stephens
Hank Snow (host): Colorado Country Morning
Jeanne Pruett: Satin Sheets
Don Gibson: Oh, Lonesome Me
Roy Clark: Rollin' In My Sweet Baby's Arms/With Pain in My Heart (Blues on My Mind)
Willis Brothers: Truck Stop
Stu Phillips: Great El Tigrae
Ernie Ashworth: Honky Tonk Hardwood Floor
Fruit Jar Drinkers: Nubbing Ridge
Hank Snow: Christmas Wants

2nd show
9:30: Kellogg's
Ernest Tubb (host): Waltz Across Texas
Willis Brothers: Give Me 40 Acres
Del Reeves: You Comb Her Hair
Skeeter Davis: Let it Shine
Charlie Louvin: (?)
Jim Ed Brown: Another Morning
Roy Clark: John Hardy/Cryin' My Heart Over You
Stu Phillips: There Must Be Another Way to Say Goodbye

10:00: Fender
Bill Anderson (host): If You Can Live With It
Wilma Lee and Stoney Cooper: Curly-Headed Baby
Justin Tubb: Bad, Bad Leroy Brown
Bill Anderson and Mary Lou Turner: Sometimes

10:15: Union 76
Roy Acuff (host): Meeting in the Air
Johnny Cash: Big River/I Still Miss Someone/Give My Love to Rose
Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash: If I Were a Carpenter
Roy Acuff: I Saw the Light

10:30: Trailblazer
Lester Flatt (host): Great Big Woman & A Little Biddy Bottle of Wine
Grandpa Jones: Jingle Bells
Bobby Lord: Mississippi
Jim and Jesse: Please Be My Love
Kenny Ingram: Cumberland Gap

10:45: Beechnut
Porter Wagoner (host): Indian Creek
Stonewall Jackson: Waterloo
Billy Grammer: What A Friend
Barbara Lea: Ain't Love Grand
Crook Brothers and The Tennessee Travelers: Bill Cheatham
Porter Wagoner: Happy Birthday Jesus

11:00: Coca Cola
Hank Snow (host): Nestor, The Long-Eared Christmas Donkey
Billy Walker: Don't Stop in My World
Fruit Jar Drinkers: Sally Goodin
Hank Locklin: Send Me the Pillow You Dream On
Kirk McGee: Blue Night
Hank Snow: Silent Night

11:30: Elm Hill
Marty Robbins (host): Singing the Blues
Jeanne Pruett: Satin Sheets/Sweet Baby Jane
Don Gibson: Blue, Blue Day/I Can't Stop Loving You
Ernie Ashworth: Talk Back Trembling Lips
Marty Robbins: Don't Worry/Big Boss Man/Devil Woman/Love Me/Cool Water/Driftwood on the River/My Woman, My Woman, My Wife/El Paso

I would say there were no complaints about either show that night as not only was Johnny on the Opry but also Roy Clark and Don Gibson. The 2nd show didn't end until just after 1:00 a.m. And I keep thinking that it is too bad that Johnny never took Roy Acuff up on his offer to come back and rejoin the Opry. 

There you have it for this week. As always, thanks for reading and commenting and I hope everyone enjoys the Grand Ole Opry this weekend. 


11 comments:

  1. It really would have been interesting if Johnny HAD come back, and then some of the proposed changes had come up and he had said, "No." I wonder if that also helps explain the story--if I'm remembering correctly--that Kitty Wells and Earl Scruggs asked to come back and were turned down, I believe by Pete Fisher? Maybe they were concerned about members who might have some power.

    And Roy Clark and Don Gibson weren't members in 1975! What a night that was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Johnny would have had the pull to have stopped some of what took place. At the very least, I could see him leading the charge and asking some serious questions.

      As to Kitty Wells and Earl Scruggs, I had heard that story from what I would term a very reliable source. Basically they wanted to rejoin the Opry for the benefits, specifically the insurance and were told no. On the other hand, Bobby Bare was told yes when he wanted to come back.

      It is true that Roy Clark wasn't a member at the time, but from what I have, Don Gibson had rejoined the Opry in September 1975 (September 13 to be exact). Not that it all mattered much as Don really wasn't around all that much after he came back.

      Delete
    2. I didn't realize Don was already back. Of course, yes, it was hard to know that he was there, sad to say.

      Delete
  2. I guess I'm just a scardey-cat.
    But I worry about folks as old as Riders in the Sky, Connie Smith, Marty Stuart,and Jeannie Seely appearing at the 'Opry.
    Hope they stay safe there.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. With the Opry losing four members in death in 2020, invitations for membership might be a reality for Kathy Mattea and others in the coming months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would hope. I think once they get Rhonda's induction done you will see more movement as to new members. Just my personal opinion, but I still think the signs point to Carly Pearce as the next new member. Just reading the tea leaves.

      Delete
    2. I think it's five: Joe Diffie, Jan Howard, Charlie Daniels, Hal Ketchum, Charley Pride.

      I think Jeannie Seely would be extremely happy with Carly Pearce being a member. Kathy Mattea would also make a good member.

      A.B.

      Delete
  4. As a fan of traditional Country Music the last thing I want to see is Carly Pearce as an Opry member but I have to admit it's looking like she will be a member soon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy Mattea is a wonderful country artist -----
    She is also a very nice, common and lovable person ---
    Please make her an Opry member !!!!!!!!

    Dashmann, Flushing, Michigan ----

    ReplyDelete
  6. Second vote for Kathy :) !!

    ReplyDelete