Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Grand Ole Opry Saturday February 20

We are off and running for another week at the Grand Ole Opry. So, what did everyone think about last week's show? I will say that Steve Wariner and Tommy Emmanual are both awesome guitar players and it was a treat to watch them performing together on the Opry. Tommy is certainly no stranger to the Opry and I look forward to many more appearances by this great musician. 

Once again this week, the Opry will be performing just one show on Saturday night. The line-up features Grand Ole Opry regulars Jeannie Seely and Riders In The Sky, joined this week by Opry members Dailey & Vincent and Dustin Lynch. 

Guesting on the non-televised portion will be comedian Dusty Slay, while Jon Pardi and Lainey Wilson will be on the Circle portion of the show. 

7:00: Opry Square Dancers; Jeannie Seely; Dailey & Vincent; Riders In The Sky; Dusty Slay
8:00: Dustin Lynch; Jon Pardi; Lainey Wilson
________________________________________________________________________

Some might not be familiar with Lainey Wilson, who made her Grand Ole Opry on Valentine's Day 2020. 

Lainey Wilson has fast become one of Nashville’s most buzzed about newcomers thanks to a fiery live show and prolific songwriting. Wilson’s on-stage swagger combined with her memorable storytelling makes the singer a mainstay on countless artist to watch lists. On the Jay Joyce-produced Sayin’ What I’m Thinkin’, the Louisiana native’s debut on BBR Music Group’s flagship imprint, Broken Bow Records, Wilson boldly introduces herself as a country artist unafraid to speak her truth while empowering listeners to do the same through her vulnerability. It is music with a message, delivered subtly and humbly.

A self-described old soul, Wilson has always been ahead of her time. At the age of nine she began writing songs about tequila and cigarettes. A family trip to Nashville’s Grand Ole Opry that same year solidified her decision to one day move from her home of 300 people in Baskin, Louisiana, to Music City.

“I remember exactly where I was on the interstate in the backseat,” she says nostalgically in a warm Louisiana drawl. “I was staring at the Batman building and little Lainey at nine years old said, ‘This is home.’ I’ve always known it and I don’t know if it’s because I spoke it out loud and it manifested itself, but I’ve always known that I’d be here.”

Wilson’s childhood home was filled with music. Her father, a farmer who dreamed of a career in country music himself, would play Glen Campbell, Hank Williams, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Buck Owens, while her grandfather would take Wilson to bluegrass festivals. All these influences combined with Wilson’s unapologetic honesty and descriptive lyrics can be heard throughout Sayin’ What I’m Thinkin’.

In 2020 she made her Grand Ole Opry debut, a dream come true for nine-year-old Lainey. Since then, she has been named MusicRow’s Next Big Thing 2021 while Strings & Spurs included her on their “Country Artists to Watch in 2021” list. An alum of CMT’s Listen Up Class of 2019 and Next Women of Country, the singer-songwriter continues to garner recognition for her distinctive music. More recently, her music was featured for the third time in the hit television show Yellowstone starring Kevin Costner.

Wilson describes her music as bell-bottom country. “Country with a flare,” she explains. “Fresh, but also familiar.” Each song blends vivid country storytelling with strong female characters as heard on the deeply confessional title track “Sayin’ What I’m Thinkin.’” It’s no surprise that Wilson’s music is culled from her own life and the way she was raised with strong family values.

Nashville has been dealing with some serious winter weather over the past week. Hopefully it all clears out by Saturday for this sold-out Opry show. 
___________________________________________________________________________

And now, from 50 years ago, Saturday February 20, 1971:

1st show
6:30: Stu Phillips (host); Stan Hitchcock; Connie Eaton and Dave Peel
6:45: Jimmy C Newman (host); Bill Carlisle; Martha Carson
7:00: Bill Monroe (host); James William Monroe; Earl Scruggs Revue; Grandpa Jones; George Morgan; Ernie Ashworth
7:30; Jack Greene (host); Jeannie Seely; Willis Brothers; Crook Brothers
8:00: Lester Flatt (host); Skeeter Davis; Wilma Lee Cooper; Stringbean
8:30: Hank Snow (host); Hank Locklin; Diana Trask; Fruit Jar Drinkers

2nd show
9:30: Stu Phillips (host); Willis Brothers; Stan Hitchcock 
10:00: George Morgan (host); Connie Easton and Dave Peel; Grandpa Jones and Ramona Jones
10:15: Bill Monroe (host); James William Monroe; Earl Scruggs; Revue; Martha Carson
10:30: Lester Flatt (host); Skeeter Davis; Stringbean
10:45: Jack Greene (host); Jeannie Seely; Crook Brothers
11:00: Hank Snow (host); Bill Carlisle; Fruit Jar Drinkers; Sam McGee
11:30: Hank Locklin (host); Ernie Ashworth; Diana Task

A few cancellations that night: Stonewall Jackson cancelled on both shows, while Jimmy C Newman and Wilma Lee Cooper cancelled on the 2nd show. 
__________________________________________________________________________

I know there are many who complain about the number of "non-country" acts who appear on the Grand Ole Opry. But in reality, it is nothing new as over the Opry's 95 years, there have been a number of acts who have appeared that weren't really considered mainstream country. Those have included James Brown, Pointer Sisters, The Byrds, Jim Nabors, and Perry Como among others.

On Saturday February 19, 1966 another of those acts, Peter, Paul and Mary appeared on the Opry. More noted as folk singers, there music appealed to many and there were many classic hits that came from this trio, including "Puff the Magic Dragan," Blowin' in the Wind," "Leaving on a Jet Plane," and "If I Had a Hammer." Formed in 1961, when they appeared on the Opry, they were still in the early stages of their career. 

Here is the running order from 55 years ago, Saturday February 19, 1966: 

7:30: Luzianne
Jimmy Newman (host): Jambalaya
Wilburn Brothers: Someone Before Me
Bobby Bare: Detroit City
Loretta Lynn: Dear Uncle Sam
Jimmy Newman: Big Mamou
Del Wood: 12th Street Rag
Wilburn Brothers: Its Another World
Loretta Lynn: Two Steps Forward
Bobby Bare: Four Strong Winds
Jimmy Newman: Cry, Cry Darling

8:00: Martha White
Hank Locklin (host): Flying South
Maybelle Carter: What You're Fighting For
Bob Luman: I'm Walkin'
Jim and Jesse: Johnny B Goode
Hank Locklin: Send Me the Pillow You Dream On
Pete Stamper: Comedy
Crook Brothers: Eighth of January
Bob Luman: Five Miles from Home

8:30: Stephens
Porter Wagoner (host0: Howdy Neighbor Howdy
Norma Jean: You're Driving Me Out of My Mind
Willie Nelson: One Day at a Time/Mr. Record Man/Hello Walls
Archie Campbell: Comedy
Porter Wagoner: Skid Row Joe
George McCormick: There's a Woman
Norma Jean: Go Cat Go
Willie Nelson: There'll Be No Teardrops Tonight
Porter Wagoner: Dooley

9:00: Pet Milk
Roy Acuff (host): Wabash Cannonball
Bill Monroe: I Live in the Past
Dottie West: Here Comes My Baby
Fruit Jar Drinkers: Tom & Jerry
Roy Acuff: The End of the World
Frank Latimer: Little Pal
Brother Oswald: Southern Moon
Bill Monroe: Swing Lo, Sweet Chariot

9:30: Kellogg's
Billy Walker (host): Come a Little Bit Closer
Willis Brothers: Gonna Swing 'Til the Rope Breaks
Marion Worth: Cryin' Time
Johnny Darrell: AS Long as the Wind Blows
Billy Walker: Matamoros
Harold Morrison: I'm a Bluebird
Willis Brothers: Love Thy Neighbor
Marion Worth: 21 Days of Darkness
Billy Walker: Down to My Last Cigarette

10:00: Schick
Wilburn Brothers (host): I'm Gonna Tie One On Tonight
Loretta Lynn: Happy Birthday
Bobby Bare: Blowin' in the Wind/A Worried Man
Wilburn Brothers: Someone Before Me

10:15: Pure
Willie Nelson (host): I Just Can't Let You Say Goodbye
Maybelle Carter: Liberty Dance
Bob Luman: Memphis
Willie Nelson: The Last Letter

10:30: Harvey's
Porter Wagoner (host): Y'All Come
Norma Jean: I Wouldn't Buy a Used Car from Him
Del Wood: Alone With You
Porter Wagoner: Green, Green Grass of Home
Buck Trent and Mac McGaha: Turkey in the Straw

10:45: Newport
Bill Monroe (host): Blue Grass Swing
Jimmy Newman: Artificial Rose
Crook Brothers: Black Mountain Rag
Archie Campbell: The Men in My Little Girl's Life

11:00: Coca Cola
Roy Acuff (host): Freight Train Blues
Hank Locklin: The Girls Get Prettier
Dottie West: Before the Ring on Your Finger Turns Green
Sam McGee: Railroad Blues
Roy Acuff: Green Back Dollar
Jim and Jesse: Dancing Molly
Fruit Jar Drinkers: (?)
Peter, Paul and Mary: If I Had a Hammer/(?)/(?)/Blowin' in the Wind

11:30: Lava
Bill Anderson (host): Bright Lights and Country Music
Willis Brothers: Cool Water
Billy Walker: Circumstances
Marion Worth: Ever Since My Baby Went Away
Bill Anderson: Golden Guitar
Willis Brothers: A 6ft 2 by 4
Billy Walker: Charlie's Shoes
Bill Anderson: I Love You Drops
_______________________________________________________________________________

Finally, I always like to remember Roy Acuff's 50th anniversary as a member of the Grand Ole Opry, which took place on Saturday February 20, 1988. It was also the first appearance by Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton since their breakup a decade before. 

1st show
6:30: Mrs. Grissoms
Grandpa Jones (host): Little Pink
The 4 Guys: Tennessee
Lorrie Morgan: Sliver Wings & Golden Rings
Ramona Jones: Orange Blossom Special

6:45: Rudy's
Charlie Walker (host): Does Ft. Worth Ever Cross Your Mind
Jean Shepard and Ferlin Husky: A Dear John Letter
Charlie Walker: Don't Squeeze My Sharmon

7:00: Shoney's/Standard Candy
Roy Acuff: Wabash Cannonball
Minnie Pearl: (MC)
Chet Atkins: The House of the Rising Sun
Pee Wee King: Tennessee Waltz
Crook Brothers and The Stoney Mountain Cloggers: Black Mountain Rag
Roy Acuff: The Great Speckled Bird
Brother Oswald: Columbus Stockade Blues
Loretta Lynn; Coal Miner's Daughter
Loretta Lynn and Minnie Pearl: Have I Told You Lately That I Love You
Roy Acuff and Everyone: I Saw the Light

8:00: Martha White
Porter Wagoner (host): 'Ol Slewfoot
The Whites: If It Ain't Love
Jim Ed Brown: The 3 Bells
Porter Wagoner: A Satisfied Mind
Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton: The Last Thing on My Mind/Fight & Scratch/Holding onto Nothing/Just Someone I Used to Know/Daddy Was an Old Time Preacher Man/Rocky Top

8:30: Music Valley
Hank Snow (host): Address Unknown
Connie Smith: Walk Me to the Door
Osborne Brothers: Kentucky
Dottie West: Don't Go to Strangers
Hank Snow: I'm Glad I Got to See You Once Again

2nd show
9:30: Dollar General
Porter Wagoner (host): Y'All Come
Skeeter Davis: My Last Date With You/Silver Threads and Golden Needles/The End of the World
Roy Drusky: Too Old to Die Young
Billy Walker: Funny How Time Slips Away
Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton: The Last Thing on My Mind/Fight & Scratch/Holding onto Nothing/Just Someone I Used to Know/Daddy Was an Old Time Preacher Man

10:00: Little Debbie
Grandpa Jones (host): Going Down the Country
Stonewall Jackson: Closer to the Vine
Jeanne Pruett: Satin Sheets
Alisa Jones: Liberty

10:15: Sunbeam
Roy Acuff (host): Meeting in the Air
Loretta Lynn: They Don't Make' Em Like Roy Acuff Anymore/Coal Miner's Daughter
Roy Acuff: I'll Fly Away/

10:30: Pet Milk
Bill Anderson (host): Southern Fried
Jean Shepard and Ferlin Husky: A Dear John Letter
Hank Locklin: Danny Boy
Bill Anderson and Roy Acuff: I Wonder If God Likes Country Music

10:45: Heil Quaker
Jim Ed Brown (host): Southern Loving
Charlie Louvin: In the Cross
Crook Brothers and The Stoney Mountain Cloggers: Rachel
Jim Ed Brown: Four Walls

11:00: Coca Cola
Hank Snow (host): Bummin' Around
Wilma Lee Cooper: Philadelphia Lawyer
Justin Tubb: Waltz Across Texas
Riders In The Sky: How the Yodel Was Born
Bill Carlisle: Worried Man Blues
George Hamilton IV: Forever Young
Hank Snow: The Prisoner's Song

11:30: B C Powder
Jack Greene (host): To Make A Long Story Longer, She's Still Home
Osborne Brothers: Rocky Top
Dottie West: Here Comes My Baby
The Whites: Alabama Jubilee
Johnny Russell: A Legend in My Time
Jack Greene: There Goes My Everything/Statue of a Fool

A lot of members that night with many of them appearing only on the 2nd show

There you have it for this week. As always, thanks for reading and commenting and I hope everyone enjoys the Grand Ole Opry this Saturday night. 






14 comments:

  1. Seeing that lineup from 1988 with Bill and Roy doing I Wonder if God Likes Country Music, makes me wish for a "re-do" with Bill in Roy's role and a younger artist in Bill's role, Jamey Johnson, Josh Turner or Vince Gill all come to mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill has done it with John Conlee, who has an "old" voice, but I agree--that would be interesting. I'd wondered after Mr. Acuff died if Whisper might start doing it with The Potato.

      Delete
  2. I know with the covid there are big restrictions but for me that is a sad commentary for the TV (circle) portion. Sure doesn't show much of a flavor of the Grand Ole Opry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an excellent thought about Bill switching roles on that song. I thought Conlee did a great job. I have heard it done live twice with Band member James Freeze and he can make the hair on your arms stand up. He is incredible with his version. He got a standing ovation both times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not saying it would be a bad thing for Bill Anderson to switch roles but a couple of thoughts.

    When I really started listening to the Opry every weekend and every minute I could that it was on, Mr. Acuff was already in his early 70's and when they recorded the song he was 75 give or take a few months and Bill was about 41. Having Bill switch roles would be a hard truth for me about where we are all at in life and how much as changed. I accepted Mr. Acuff in the role because, respectfully, he had become the grand old man of the Grand Ole Opry. Although Bill is now older than Mr. Roy was when they first did the song, his personality is such that it is hard to believe or feel that. Maybe it is because my dad would be the same age and as I get older with both parents passed, dad in '87 and mom in 2015, it would just be hard to watch and listen to. I'm just saying that is how it would personally make me feel.

    Beyond that, who could do justice to the speaking part that Bill is so great at doing? I know his part is more singing than speaking but the speaking parts are pretty dramatic.

    James Freeze does the best anyone could ask a younger man to do singing Mr. Acuff's part, it is powerful. He joined Bill about 1991 and would have witnessed them doing the song several times on the Opry so he has total respect for the part he is singing and the shoes he is filling. He's a good guy too!

    I hope I have all those ages and dates right that I just threw out there!! Again just my personal feelings. Not raining on anyone's parade. I know I can be a downer sometimes. But I also agree with Eddie Stubbs about songs. I like them sad, morbid and pitiful!

    Jim
    Knightsville, IN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let Freeze do his magnificent job and let it go at that.
      Roy was old and feeble, Bill doesn't look the part yet.
      Don't want him too, either.

      Delete
    2. Jim, Eddy Raven once said that when he wrote "Thank God for Kids," he wanted Mr. Acuff to do it, and he replied that it was too good a song, that it wouldn't sell as well if he did it, and they should get a big name. They got the Oak Ridge Boys, and they did great. But I remember Raven saying in an interview, Mr. Acuff, in that old, raspy voice, sounding like a grandfather, would have been so perfect.

      Delete
  5. That 1988 show was my kind of Opry. Ferlin and Jean were great and Simon even showed up. I remember Ferlin telling his joke about contemplating asking Jean to marry him when he was her legal guardian but he knew if they had kids they'd live a a dogs life!

    I also remember when Bill Anderson introduced Hank Locklin on the second show he ask him if he wanted to do a duet with him, it seemed like that was what everyone was doing that night.

    Count myself so lucky to be able to hear the Opry at that time, I was 22!

    Thanks Byron for posting that lineup.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I ask of any guest is to honor the 'Opry and country music in word and preferably in song.
    Paul Shaffer mimicked Floyd Cramer on his spot, and it was a classic 'opry moment!
    That's all I ask... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who do you guys see going into the Hall of Fame this year?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie Seely, Jan Howard, Johnny & Jack (Johnny Wright and Jack Anglin)

      Delete
  8. Late last week, I always check on here for the OPRY line-up, since I can't make sense of that new opry.com website. I didn't program my DVR to record the Opry last night because I didn't want waste my electricity on 3 individuals that I'd never heard of. Are either of the 3 guests from last night, are they members of The Grand Ole Opry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dustin Lynch has been a member of the Opry since '18.

      Delete
    2. I can't keep up with these new ones, I'm proud they had one MEMBER on the tv portion.

      Delete