Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Grand Ole Opry 4/9 & 4/10

Welcome to another week at the Grand Ole Opry. I hope everyone had a very nice Easter and enjoyed the Opry last weekend. I was very impressed with the televised segment on Circle as Ricky Skaggs, Natalie Grant and Steven Curtis Chapman were each outstanding. And it was nice to see Ricky back on the Opry for the first time this year. 

Moving ahead to this weekend, what stands out is the Circle televised segment of the Opry as this week, the hour long portion will feature no members of the Opry. Scheduled this week are Jordan Davis, Runaway June, which features Circle TV host Natalie Stovall, Matthew West with Carly Pearce, and making his Opry debut, Zach Bryan. 

Joining that group on Saturday's Grand Ole Opry, and the only Opry member on the schedule for Saturday night, will be Jeannie Seely, along with Darin & Brooke Aldridge and the designated comedian for this week, Aaron Weber. In addition to the televised portion with Matthew West, Carly Pearce will also perform during the first hour. 

Jeannie Seely and Darin & Brooke Aldridge are also scheduled for the Friday Night Opry, where they will be joined by Riders In The Sky. I really don't know where the Opry would be at without the continued support of Jeannie and the Riders. They, obviously, seem to be the two members that can be counted on every week. Guesting on Friday, in addition to Darin & Brooke, will be Striking Matches, Stephanie Quayle, Wade Hayes, John Crist and Rodney Atkins. 

Friday April 9
7:00: Jeannie Seely; Striking Matches
7:30: Riders In The Sky; Darin & Brooke Aldridge
8:00: Stephanie Quayle; Wade Hayes
8:30: John Crist; Rodney Atkins

Saturday April 10
7:00: Opry Square Dancers; Jeannie Seely; Darin & Brooke Aldridge; Carly Pearce; Aaron Weber
8:00: Jordan Davis; Runaway June; Zach Bryan; Matthew West w/Carly Pearce

I know it is tough and they are doing the best they can. 
_______________________________________________________________________

Some may not be familiar with Matthew West and Carly Pearce's recently released single of "Truth Be Told," which has reached No.1 on the Christian Airplay charts.

In a January 2021 interview, West noted, “I wanna be the first person who says ‘You know what? I’ve got some messes, and I’m going to dare to believe that there’s a God who loves me anyway. And I’m going to dare to believe that there are some other Christians who would love me anyway even if they knew that I was less than perfect.’ So I’m putting it out there, truth be told, and I hope you will too.”

Related to her appearance on the re-released hit, Pearce stated, “My faith is such a huge part of my life. I’ve been praying for the right opportunity to show more of my heart, and ’Truth Be Told’ felt meant to be. Not only am I such a fan of Matthew’s, but this lyric has also been the anthem of my life over the last year. Being transparent and vulnerable is how we connect with others. I’m so excited to be a part of this collaboration!”
__________________________________________________________________________

And as mentioned, Zach Bryan will be making his Grand Ole Opry debut on Saturday night. 

Zach Bryan is a singer/songwriter from Oologah, Oklahoma, proud of his small-town roots and whose music is fueled by a desire to stay true to himself. The 24-year old is an active-duty member of the US Navy currently stationed in Washington state, a family tradition that has instilled a sense of honor and humility that is clear in his music. His success is found in his raspy voice, a mix of classic folk melody and outlaw country with a raw edge that cuts to the bone. His breakthrough moment makes all that clear as day. 

In the video for “Heading South,” shot by phone outside of his Navy barracks in humid 95 degree heat, Zach’s passion echoes off the strings of his trusted Guild. Drenched in sweat and belting words that he had written minutes earlier, the moment is authentic, brutal, and real. Millions of fans have now seen that video without any sort of industry assist, and millions more have connected to the tender, sincere songs found on both Zach’s 2019 debut album DeAnn—dedicated to his late mother—and his 2020 follow-up, Elisabeth, an ode to those he loves. 

A man of simple words, Zach’s ability to create depth in his work is rivaled by few artists. He believes that who you are only extends to the person you are today, an ideology reflected in everything he creates.
_________________________________________________________________________

Finally, from 50 years ago, Saturday April 10, 1971: 

1st show
6:30: Osborne Brothers (host); Ernie Ashworth; Del Wood
6:45: Stu Phillips (host); Justin Tubb
7:00: Charlie Louvin (host); Diane McCall; Billy Grammer, Bobby Bare; Willis Brothers
7:30: Bill Monroe (host); James William Monroe; Tom T. Hall; Hank Locklin; Crook Brothers; The 4 Guys; Bill Carlisle
8:00: Lester Flatt (host); Jean Shepard; Wilma Lee and Stoney Cooper; George Morgan; Haskell McCormick; Leroy Van Dyke
8:30: Del Reeves (host); Dottie West; Bob Luman; Fruit Jar Drinkers; Stringbean

2nd show
9:30: Osborne Brothers (host); Willis Brothers; Ernie Ashworth; Stu Phillips; Del Wood
10:00: Bill Monroe (host); Tom T. Hall; Bill Carlisle; James William Monroe
10:15: Charlie Louvin (host); Bobby Bare; Justin Tubb; Diane McCall
10:30: Lester Flatt (host); Jean Shepard; Billy Grammer
10:45: George Morgan (host); Wilma Lee and Stoney Cooper; Crook Brothers
11:00: Hank Locklin (host); Dottie West; Stringbean; Fruit Jar Drinkers; Sam McGee
11:30: Del Reeves (host); Bob Luman; The 4 Guys; Leroy Van Dyke
__________________________________________________________________________

I know that over the past several weeks, I have been featuring line-ups from a few of the Grand Ole Opry's reunion shows and this week, I have another one. This one is from 38 years ago, Saturday April 9, 1983: 

1st show
6:30: Mrs. Grissoms
Charlie Louvin (host): Let Her Go; God Bless Her
Ernie Ashworth: There's No Place I'd Rather Be Tonight
Del Wood: Are You From Dixie

6:45: Rudy's
Grandpa Jones (host): Apple Jack
Wilma Lee Cooper: A Daisy A Day
David Houston: Almost Persuaded
Grandpa Jones: Neighbors

7:00: Shoney's
Porter Wagoner (host): Y' all Come
Pee Wee King: Tennessee Waltz
Duke of Paducah: Ding Dong Daddy From Dumas
Jim Ed Brown: I Don't Want to Have to Marry You
Skeeter Davis: I Gotta Know; I Gotta Know
Curly Fox: The Old Gray Mule
Porter Wagoner: The Cowboy's Hat

7:30: Standard Candy
Bill Anderson (host): Southern Fried
Jean Shepard: Too Many Rivers
Roy Drusky: What About You
Crook Brothers and The Stoney Mountain Cloggers: Lafayette
Bill Anderson: Thank You Darling for Loving Me

8:00: Martha White
Roy Acuff (host): Wabash Cannonball
Sid Harkreader: Amazing Grace/Mockingbird Breakdown/Red Wing/Easter Parade
Connie Smith: 'Til I Kissed You
Roy Acuff: I Saw the Light

8:30: Acme
Hank Snow (host): Forever + 1 Days; Forever + 2
The 4 Guys: Ruby Red
Jeanne Pruett: Satin Sheets
Jack Greene: There Goes My Everything
Paul Howard: Stay a Little Longer
Fruit Jar Drinkers: Saturday Night Hop
Hank Snow: Nevertheless, I'm In Love with You

2nd show
9:30: Kellogg's
Porter Wagoner (host): Ol' Slewfoot
Charlie Walker: Pick Me Up on Your Way Down
Jeannie Seely: He's All I Need
Del Wood: Down Yonder
Jimmy C Newman: La Cajun Band
Lonzo and Oscar: That Silver Haired Daddy of Mine
Porter Wagoner: The Cowboy's Hat

10:00: Little Debbie
Bill Anderson (host): How Married Are You Mary Ann
Jean Shepard: Home in San Antone/Time Changes Everything/Roly Poly
Pee Wee King: Slow Poke/Tennessee Waltz
Bill Anderson; Golden Guitar

10:15: Sunbeam
Grandpa Jones (host): Mountain Dew
Billy Grammer: Blue Water
Bill Carlisle: Elvira
Ray Pillow: Too Many Memories

10:30: Martha White
Roy Acuff (host): I Couldn't Believe It Was True
Stu Phillips: Have I Told You Lately That I Love You/You Win Again/Release Me
Teddy Wilburn: Born to Love Me

10:45: Beechnut
Jim Ed Brown (host): Fools
Vic Willis Trio: You Feel Good All Over
Connie Smith: Satisfied
Crook Brothers and The Stoney Mountain Cloggers: Rachel

11:00: Coca Cola
Hank Snow (host): That Heart Belongs to Me
Hank Locklin: Tin Roof
Roy Drusky: Wings of a Dove
Fruit Jar Drinkers: Bile Them Cabbage Down
Curly Fox: Alabama Jubilee
Kirk McGee: While I'm Away
Hank Snow: I've Done at Least One Thing That Was Good in My Life

11:30: Hardee's
Jack Greene (host): Happy Tracks
The 4 Guys: Ruby Red
Paul Howard: Come On In Baby; The Boogie's Fine Tonight
Jeanne Pruett: Temporarily Yours/It's Too Late
Jack Greene: From Cotton to Satin

As a note, Minnie Pearl and George Hamilton IV both cancelled

This was the final reunion show for Paul Howard, who along with his Arkansas Cotton Pickers, was a member of the Grand Ole Opry in the 40s. 

Paul Howard's claim to fame was western swing music. He was born in 1908. As a teenage, he began playing the guitar and by the early 1930s he was appearing professionally on Arizona radio stations. His reputation crew as a result of appearing with the Barn Dance out of Kentucky, and continuing on with the Opry and NBC's Shower of Stars. 

 By the time he came to the Opry, he had his own group, the Arkansas Cotton Pickers, bringing with him his style of western swing to the Opry. He claimed to have been the first picker to aim an amplified guitar at the Opry audience and was among the first to present two and three-part fiddle harmonies at the Opry. 

As a songwriter, Howard came up under the guidance of important songwriter and publisher Fred Rose. The Howard songwriting catalog is as salty with tears as any in the sentimental country genre, listeners have the option of weeping along with titles such as "With Tears in My Eyes," "Torn Between True Love and Desire," "The Fiddler With the Patch on His Pants," "You Left a Red Cross on My Heart," "Rock Candy Heart," or "I'm Sending You Red Roses." Good-natured instrumentals such as "Texas Boogie" and "Cherokee Shuffle" are also part of the Howard canon. He fronted his own band known as the Arkansas Cotton Pickers during the Opry years, leading to his nickname of "the Arkansas Cottonpicker."

With the Opry losing interest in western swing during the '50s, Howard became involved in radio broadcasting in Louisiana. He worked in management and program directing as well as doing disc jockey shifts. Over the ensuing decades, he was quite often brought back to the Opry to be presented as part of various "old-timers" features. At the age of 75, Howard was continuing to front a version of the Arkansas Cotton Pickers when he died of heart failure.

Paul Howard passed away on June 18, 1984. 

There you have it for this week. As always, thanks for reading and commenting and I hope everyone enjoys the Grand Ole Opry this weekend. 



16 comments:

  1. No Opry members appearing on a televised show of the Grand Old 'Opry?
    Now that my friends, is a SAD commentary on the present state of the 'Opry.
    If you're not proud of your members, what does that say about your future?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Byron said he knows it is tough (for us to accept ??) but I don't agree they are doing the best they can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the problem remains the protocols. Bill Anderson wants his band with him and the Opry is not doing that, or he'd be there. As for whether the Opry is doing the best it can, I have the funny feeling that if Vince or Ricky or Marty or anyone else called and said, "I want to do the Opry Saturday night and I won't be bringing my band," they'd be on. So let's look also at the artists.

    As for Paul Howard, didn't he employ Rollin "Oscar" Sullivan at the beginning of his career?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which is why I think that management is doing the best they can. I am sure that they have been reaching out to everyone, but when the artists don't want to, or won't appear, it makes it tough. And yes, I give some slack to many of the Opry's older members.

      Delete
  4. C'mon ---it's a big stage --- no reason an actual band or two couldn't play the Opry on the televised portion ---- Dashmann, Flushing, Michigan ---

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but there’s also who’s backstage, disinfecting when a group is done, etc.

      Delete
  5. TIME TO BREAK OUT ANOTHER 1990 OR 1980 OPRY TAPE. JIM HERZOG

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess they are in sort of a jam.
    Can't have Jeannie Seely or Riders in the Sky on the televised portion every week, and they're about the only ones who seem to be willing to show up.
    Sad commentary that so many 'Opry members aren't willing to appear. Surely they've been asked???

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been meaning to ask this question for several weeks. We have been watching Daniel O'Donnell on RFD for many weeks now. Although he will do a wide wide range of music, he really is into country. Norma Jean is his favorite female singer. He sings a lot of Jim Reeves. I was stunned to see him set on the steps to the stage on one show and sing "Nobodies Child". His first recording and release was in Ireland in 1983. I'm guessing he is mid 60's now. He is just pleasing to listen to and seems like a really nice guy. He'll be in Branson this fall. It would sure be nice if he could play the Opry.

    That brings me to my question. Has he ever worked the Opry? I'm sure it would be in my notes but Byron seems to have a quicker way to search than I do. What keeps sticking in my mind is that Jean Shepard had a guest with her a few times from Europe and I'm wondering it was Daniel. On one of his shows he mentioned her and called her Jeannie! Sounded like he knew her!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, I have also been making a habit of watching Daniel O'Donnell on RFD. We have been watching him for the past year. Even being from Ireland, he seems to really like country music and sing it a lot on his show. When we first starting watching, one of his shows was taped at the Ryman Auditorium and was originally played on PBS. It was almost exclusively country.

      As far as the Opry, I would have to do some serious digging. I can't say for sure he has, but I also can't say he hasn't. It would not surprise me at all if he had. I'll check.

      Delete
    2. I did some further checking, and the Ryman PBS special was filmed on February 12, 2011, which would have been a Thursday night. In looking at the Opry line-ups and the shows the weekend prior or after, he did not appear on any of those night.

      His website lists Daniel as playing the Grand Ole Opry House on June 10, 2010. That has to be incorrect as that was when the Opry House was closed due to the Nashville flood. I thought possibly he could have performed at the Ryman on that night, however there was an Opry Country Classics show at the Ryman and he was not on that show that night. Those are the only two Nashville dates I see listed on his site.

      Delete
  8. Well, this is bugging me so I started looking. May 6, 2006 Daniel O'Donnell appeared on the Opry on the second show with Vince Gill, Jean Shepard and the Square Dancers. He then went to the Midnight jamboree and performed with Leona Williams. He was working in Branson at the time.

    I found it in my records and by typing Daniel O'Donnell and Jean Shepard Grand Ole Opry. Guess what came up? Fayfare's Opry Blog!

    I kind of think he appeared before that or at least was visiting as a guest of Jean backstage and she mentioned him. I'm satisfied for now
    and won't dig anymore!

    Now, do I have them on tape together?

    Jim
    Knightsville, IN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing!!!! Nice work. And good idea typing in Jean's name along with Daniel. At least that mystery was solved.

      Delete
  9. You know that is how I came to this blog? I was trying to find some info on the passing of Charlie Collins and when I typed in his name the blog was one of the things that came up!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just hope the 'Opry doesn't make Byron BUY his 'Opry tickets. He's given them tons of free publicity!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE Daniel O'Donnell - we have tickets for two of his shows in Branson in November. We joined his livestream concert ($20) in February and it was great. His CD "The Gold Collection" (3 20-song cds) is excellent.
    (from Anonymous in PA)

    ReplyDelete