Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Grand Ole Opry 7/23 & 7/24

I want to start out by thanking everyone that I met this past weekend at the Grand Ole Opry. I appreciated seeing some old friends who I have known for years and also new ones who knew me thanks to reading this blog. I do appreciate it very much and I look forward to seeing everyone again on future trips to the Opry. I especially am thankful for the kind words and the shared memories of past Opry shows. This makes these trips worthwhile. 

Now that Bill Anderson has joined the select group of Grand Ole Opry members who have been a part of the Opry's cast for over 60 years, it is time to roll on with another weekend at the Opry. While there is nothing to celebrate, there are a couple of worthy additions to the Opry this week, in this case Opry members Mike Snider and Little Big Town, both of whom will be making their first Opry appearances of 2021. In the case of Mike, this will be his first Opry show since March 2020. For Little Big Town, this will be their first time back since last October. 

While Little Big Town will be featured on the Circle TV portion of the Opry this week, Mike will not be. Joining Little Big Town on Circle will be Crissy Metz, who will be making a return appearance to the Opry, and comedian Henry Cho, who gets the opportunity to be on the Circle stream for the first time. 

Also appearing during the first hour on Saturday will be Opry member Connie Smith, The Isaacs and guitarist Doyle Dykes. 

The Friday Night Opry will feature Opry members Jeannie Seely and Larry Gatlin and The Gatlin Brothers, along with Bobby Osborne & The Rocky Top Express, appearing for the 2nd Friday night in a row. It was a real pleasure to see Bobby and his group on the Opry last weekend. 

Doyle Dykes is also scheduled to appear on Friday night, along with fellow guest artists Jake Hoot, Don Schlitz, Thompson Square, Brittney Spencer, who is making a return appearance, and Ryan Griffin, who is making his Opry debut. 

Friday July 23

7:00: Jeannie Seely; Jake Hoot; Bobby Osborne & The Rocky Top X-Press; Brittney Spencer; Doyle Dykes
Intermission
8:15: Ryan Griffin; Don Schlitz; Thompson Square; Larry Gatlin & The Gatlin Brothers

Saturday July 24
7:00: Opry Square Dancers; Connie Smith; Doyle Dykes; Mike Snider; The Isaacs
8:00: Crissy Metz; Henry Cho; Little Big Town

While the Friday Night Opry has nine acts listed, Saturday comes in with only seven. 

As mentioned, Friday night will be Ryan Griffin's Opry debut:

Already a hitmaker with a #1 song under his belt, Ryan Griffin is poised for a Country breakout with his Billboard Top 20 all-genre viral smash “Salt, Lime & Tequila.” The Florida native adds the soul of R&B to the honest universality of Country, forging a mix of romantic fun landing somewhere between Keith Urban and Brian McKnight. 

Growing up on his family’s farm and moving to Music City at the age of 17, Griffin made his first mark in 2016 as a co-writer of Kelsea Ballerini’s PLATINUM-certified #1 single “Dibs.” Gaining heat on multiple platforms, Griffin has been featured as a SiriusXM HighwayFind and racked up more than 25 MILLION streams on Spotify alone with infectious tracks including “Going Going Gone,” “Name On It” and “Right Here Right Now.” Recognized as one of Rolling Stone’s “10 New Country Artists You Need to Know” and one of Pandora’s “Artists to Watch 2021,” Ryan has opened concert dates for Ballerini, Lady Antebellum, Old Dominion and Cole Swindell.
___________________________________________________________________________

Now from 50 years ago, Saturday July 24, 1971:

1st show
6:30: Stu Phillips (host); Merle Kilgore; Connie Eaton
6:45: Wilma Lee and Stoney Cooper (host); Murry Kellum
7:00: Bill Grammer (host); The 4 Guys; Stan Hitchcock; Barbara Mandrell
7:30: Roy Acuff (host); Willis Brothers; Patsy Montana; Crook Brothers
8:00: Tex Ritter (host); Stringbean; Stoney Edwards; Wilma Burgess
8:30: Hank Snow (host); Fruit Jar Drinkers; Johnny Cash; June Carter Cash

2nd show
9:30: Stu Phillips (host); Willis Brothers; Merle Kilgore; Patsy Montana; Murry Kellum
10:00: Roy Acuff (host); Johnny Cash; June Carter Cash
10:15: Wilma Lee and Stoney Cooper (host); Stan Hitchcock
10:30: Billy Grammer (host); Stringbean
10:45: The 4 Guys (host); Connie Eaton; Crook Brothers
11:00: Hank Snow (host); Barbara Mandrell; Fruit Jar Drinkers; Sam McGee
11:30: Tex Ritter (host); Wilma Burgess; Stoney Edwards

Patsy Montana was making her Grand Ole Opry debut that night, and it was probably a good move on the 8:30 segment that the Fruit Jar Drinkers did not have to follow Johnny Cash. Johnny's portion on the 1st and 2nd shows lasted 15 minutes, which was expected at the time as Johnny was at his peak. 
_________________________________________________________________________

Let's go way back in the time machine to Saturday July 23, 1949. Here is the running order from that night 72 years ago:

7:30: American Ace
George Morgan: Please Don't Let Me Love You
Tommy Magness: Dance Around Molly
Dot & Smokey: East Virginia Blues
Jimmy Riddle: Listen to the Mockingbird
George Morgan: Room Full of Roses
Uncle Dave: Hesitation Blues
Jug Band: Uncle Eph's Got the Coon
George Morgan: When Jesus Beckons Me Home
Joe Zinkas: Kansas City Blues
Dot & Smokey: Are You Tired of Me My Darling
Rachel and Oswald: John Hardy

8:00: Purina
Crook Brothers: Green Back Dollar
Hank Williams: Lovesick Blues
Bill Monroe
Lonzo and Oscar: Tickle the Tomcat's Tail
Sugar Foot: Oklahoma Boogie
Hank Williams: Wedding Bells
Lew and String: Rabbit in the Log
Mel and Stan: Jimmy Brown
Hank Williams: I Just Told Momma Goodnight

8:30: Prince Albert
Red Foley: Beaver Creek
Elton Britt
Rod Brasfield: Jokes
Fowler Quartet: I Want to Be Ready
Red Foley: He'll Understand
Elton Britt
Minnie Pearl: Jokes
Red Foley: I'm Throwing Rice at the Girl I Love
Square Dancers: Eighth of January

9:00: Royal Crown
Fruit Jar Drinkers: Bill Cheatham
Hank Williams: There'll BE No Teardrops Tonight
Jamup & Honey: Gags
Jimmy Riddle: Rubber Dolly
George Morgan: Cry Baby Heart
Rachel and Oswald: Southern Moon
Jug Band: Missouri
Uncle Dave: Oh Monah
Hank Williams: I Saw the Light
George Morgan: Ring on Your Finger

9:30: Royal Flour
Milton Estes: John Henry
Ernest Tubb: Slipping Around
Jimmy Dickens: I'm in Love Up to My Ears
Jimmy Selph: Tell Me Why
Possum Hunters: Chicken Reel
Ernest Tubb: When Is Mommy Coming Home
Martha White: Freight Train Blues
Jimmy Dickens: Why Don't You Haul Off and Love Me
Ernest Tubb: Tomorrow Never Comes
Dale Potter: Black Mountain Rag
Milton Estes: Oh Why Not Tonight

10:00: Wallrite
To Be Announced

10:15: Warren Paint & Color Co
Lew Childre: Hand Out the Front Door Key
Hank Williams: Never Again
String Beans: Pretty Polly
Hank Williams: My Love for You

10:30: Sustaining
Jimmy Dickens: I'll Be Back a Sunday
Uncle Dave: Beautiful Mabel Claire
Jimmy Riddle
Jimmy Dickens: Blondes, Brunettes and Redheads
Tommy Magness: Blackberry Blossom

10:45: Dr. Le Gear
Wally Fowler: Lead Me to That Rock
Lazy Jim Day: Singing the News
Wally Fowler: Have a Little Talk With Jesus
Red Herron

11:00: Allen Mfg. Co. 
George Morgan: I Love Everything About You
Lonzo and Oscar: Foggy Mountain Top
Crook Brothers: Alabama Gal
George Morgan: Ages and Ages Ago

11:15: Willy's Overland
Ernest Tubb: I Know My Baby Loves Me
Don Davis
Ernest Tubb: Yesterday's Tears
Hal Smith
Ernest Tubb

11:30
Jimmy Dickens: A Rose from a Bride's Bouquet
Gully Jumpers
Mel and Stan: Whispering Now
Jimmy Dickens: Lovin Lies
Red Taylor: Sally Goodin

11:45
Hank Williams: I Don't Care if Tomorrow Never Comes
Fruit Jar Drinkers: Arkansas Traveler
Robert Lunn: Snake Bite Blues
Hank Williams: My Sweet Love Ain't Around
Fruit Jar Drinkers: Leather Britches

A couple of observations from that night: First, the Opry was really ridding the Hank Williams train as he appeared on four different segments of the Opry. Secondly, while Roy Acuff did not appear that night, Oswald, Rachel and Jimmy Riddle did. Finally, it was interesting at the time that the Opry program was printed there were no confirmed acts for one entire 15 minute segment. 

There you have it for this week. As always, thanks for reading and commenting and I hope everyone enjoys the Grand Ole Opry this weekend. 



15 comments:

  1. Odd that Mr. Acuff wasn't on that night. I wonder what he was up to! Even without him, quite a lineup.

    I wonder if the Opry is still being cautious about allowing too many people around the place. I suspect so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, first hour Saturday night is fantastic.
    "Circle Hour" not so much.
    At least the 'Opry is consistent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally Mike Snider is back I can't wait to hear what he has to say about the last year and a half

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is his chance to say that he wasn't sick, but Sweetie still made him isolate himself from her.

      Delete
  4. Well, I feel the need to bring up a subject we have probably discussed several times here.

    Let me make an obvious statement. Anyone who ever plays the Opry has to have a debut appearance.

    Through the years, up until about the past two decades, most of those were folks that had become regionally very well known on local stages and radio stations or as time passed, artist who had some chart success once the charts were established in the mid 40's. I would imagine acts were given a debut spot to see how they went over and handled the big step of being on the national stage that became the Opry. Then, maybe they could be considered for future membership.

    I do not have any statistics to back this up but up until maybe 20 or so years ago, the number of debuts on the Opry per year were probably less than a couple dozen.....and that might be a high number. With 52 weeks a year, 2 plus Opry shows a week and a debut artist on nearly every show or at least once a week, is that number approaching 100 these days? Maybe not but it sure feels like it. I guess Byron has probably noted that from time to time in us yearly reviews.

    My reason for bringing this up again is this. I know thousands of would be stars in the world might think of or dream playing the Opry. If for no other reason, the possible exposure though Circle and/or all of the social media/internet exposure now possible. But, is it really that special to make to that stage anymore? If somebody new makes it there every weekend, is it really that great of an achievement these days. I know the trend these days is to give everyone a trophy or ribbon for just participating but doesn't that deflate the need or desire for hard work to achieve and excel?

    And the farther in time we go, the less power the draw, or even the thought to say, I'm standing where Hank, Patsy, or Loretta stood. Even the less accurate statements of mentioning Merle, Willie, Waylon and others that passed over the stage but really did not participate in the Opry will dwindle. How many people drop the name Garth, Trace, Travis, Martina or even Carrie? Let alone that the names of Acuff, Tubb, Snow, Monroe, or Wells are nearly forgotten.

    When we were going to the Opry often in the 90's and early 2000's I would always be ask "who are you going to see"? When I said I didn't know, folks would look at me like I was nuts to pay and drive several hundred miles to a show not knowing who would be performing. Back then, you had a base of maybe three dozen or maybe a few more possibilities and it was all good. Today, if a big name has penciled the Opry into their schedule, you might know that in advance. Beyond that, you really have no idea what quality og show you are going to see.

    How long can the Opry go on it's name and promotion of big names that the odds are, won't be there when you go? Instead, you get acts you may have never heard of. So far it is working but is it sustainable?

    As I always say, I'm not really complaining but wonder what is going to become of the Opry after 100 years. After 100, will that be rebranding time? I still would love to know how many first timers return like many of us have down through the years. Has it become a bucket list experience and not a tradition for fans and families? That to me is not sustainable. Unless......it becomes a performance venue of any and all genres of music and art. Are we creeping in that direction?

    As I stated after being there last week, as much the music has changed to my dislike, for me, walking into the Opry and seeing a performance still had some of that special feeling. We had a lucky night for our taste though and on any random night going in blind, not sure I would feel that way so much.

    I'm interested in the thoughts of others.

    Jim
    Knightsville, IN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, I say this not having been to the Opry, on which, more in a moment. But for now, I am willing to cut slack until we get through the pandemic to see if they stay with the current approach.

      That said, it's been true for years that people would come to see the hot newcomer and really like an old-timer, and vice versa. The real problem in recent years has been the reduced number of performers in a show. During much of Hal Durham's tenure, there would be about 25 per show. The difficulty was that they were overwhelmingly the longtime members, without many newer folks--that was fine with me, but I can see other points of view.

      As to my not having been there, I may be going in the next year or so, and I am eager to do it, though more for the idea of doing the tour, seeing the sights. My family was friendly with Jimmy C. Newman, and I was friendly with Earl White. My mother, who loved Newman, couldn't travel, but I thought, if I get there, Jimmy would help us get in to see the real place, or maybe Earl. They're gone. And I think of my mother, growing up in a little town in New Jersey. I asked if she wanted to go back and she always said, no, I want to remember it as it was. In many ways, I want to remember the Opry as the place where Hank Snow was on at 8:30 and 11, Lester did the Martha White theme at 8, and the Crook Brothers and Fruit Jar Drinkers were playing, with Mr. Acuff benevolently watching the whole thing unfold.

      Delete
  5. Country Rhodes (Jim), I echo your thoughts exactly, well said. The one thing you didn't mention was in years past there were so many groups coming via bus trips to Nashville - is that still a viable happening? If so, probably not in the previous numbers (especially with the aging population and the recent restrictions). As I have mentioned in other posts, we made the decision after the 90th anniversary fiasco that we probably would not make the trip to see the Grand Ole Opry again - we can spend the same amount of $$$ and see actual concerts of our favorite performers and possibly catch a new performer or two in their opening acts and most likely in the same style we are accustomed. Always like and usually agree with your posts! (From Anonymous in PA)

    ReplyDelete
  6. PA: Thanks for the kind words. I wonder about the bus tours as well. When they had the two Saturday shows and a half hour warmup show live with Grant Turner and others, those bus tours were a big part of the announcements they made. I believe one of our tour bus companies locally used to promote trips to the Opry and Nashville. Haven't heard that in some time. But, would a trip to the Opry Mall and the Grand Ole Opry be the same enticement as a trip to Opryland and the Grand Ole Opry?

    I can tell I'm getting older, maybe. However, much of what I talk about here was old before I came along. So, I do speak of what I grew up with but much of it originated before my time. Obviously I'm a big Bill Anderson fan. He was hitting his stride when I was born in 1965!

    To Michael's point about the pandemic, I think many a business has used it to speed up changes in their business model they were working toward but knew the public would resist if they acted too fast. Now, it feels like the attitude is "if you like it and want it to survive, better accept these changes". Just my observation. I hope that is not the case with the Opry.

    Not the most coherent post I must admit, random thoughts and responses I guess.

    Jim
    Knightsville, IN

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now for a different subject.

    I do not watch the Opry on Circle that much. I did watch the Connie Smith portion while I listened on the WSM. I did not notice a lot of content cut out. However, last night, I watched the rebroadcast of last weeks show with Bill Anderson and there was a tremendous amount of content edited out. Poorly done I might add. They couldn't even edit in a way that included Vince giving Byron Berline's full name and thus the reason for his song. They also edited some of Bill's comments and his goodnight to the TV audience. I sure hope that is not what went out to the public last Saturday night.

    To my post just before this, maybe my age is showing. I seem to want to pick at everything these days. It just seems like the quality of things and the care and tact used to do and present things is lacking these days.....and not just at the Opry! But who am I to judge?

    Jim
    Knightsville, IN

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can remember after many Opry shows in the 80s, and into the 2000s. many tour operators walking around after the show with their multi-colored umbrellas, guiding their group to the right bus. It always seemed like unorganized confusion outside the Opry House. Lately, I would have to agree that I don't see as many.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I fear our beloved Opry is going to be gasping for air when it hits 100 years old in 4 years. Old Country music is becoming part of the past. The days when Harold Weakly would step out from his snare drum to sing a spiritual or Marshall Barnes would intentionally and hilariously fracture " Tender Years" will never come back. The family feeling of the Opry cast is a thing of the past --- the thing that gave Lorrie Morgan so much comfort after losing her one true love, Keith Whitley. Stuff happens --- things change ---- whether we like it or not ----- who knew 60 years of loving the Opry would go by so quickly -- ?????? Dashmann, Flushing, ( yes, toilet town ) Michigan ---

    ReplyDelete
  10. You said it perfectly Dashmann.
    Ten years ago I was looking forward to the 100th year celebration, now I'm scared it will just make me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tours are still a big part of what the Opry Audience is made up of, maybe not so much the bus tours, but groups assembling in Nashville for trade shows, reunions and such. Both of these have been among the last few things to return because of the pandemic (which isn't letting up). For the "full house" shows to have so many people in the seats without these groups is saying a lot about how many people are visiting the Opry.

    Instead of 10-20 groups of 40-50 people accounting for as much as 1,000 people among the 4,400 in attendance, it's now more parties of 2-4.

    The Opry has always drawn more from the "first timers" than from repeat visitors, so the sustainability issue really isn't much of an issue as long as the Opry remains relevant to those making that first trip. There are some fans who only come to the Opry for shows that Carrie Underwood is on, so if they come 2-3 times a year for here 5-6 nights that she's on (usually doing a double show), I don't see a problem with that. Some of those people like other artists, so if they make an appearance, there's a good chance those fans will be there for them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patrick, Thanks for the comments. I have never seen statistics on return visitors so my comments were just opinion! I like your scenario better than mine. As I said, what they are doing seems to be working and filling seats so as Briscoe Darling would say, "Powr to Ya' (or them as in Opry management).

      Jim
      Knightsville, IN

      Delete
  12. But I don't think that " Family " feeling will ever return to the Opry regulars ---- The Opry feeling is mechanical now - not emotional ---- progress I suppose --- Dashmann, Flushing, Michigan ---

    ReplyDelete