Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Grand Ole Opry 9/10 & 9/11

The Grand Ole Opry has posted the schedule for this weekend and there are two names that stand out on the Friday night line-up: John Sebastian and Arlen Roth. 

In checking my records, it would appear that this is the Opry debut for John Sebastian, who is most remembered as a member of Lovin' Spoonful and for singing the theme to the hit TV show "Welcome Back, Kotter." I have been fortunate to have seen John in concert a few years ago and it was an amazing night. So why is John, along with his friend Arlen Roth who is a masterful guitarist, performing on the Opry this weekend? The duo have recently worked on a new project, John Sebastian and Arlen Roth Explore the Spoonful Songbook. What is interesting about this new album is that it is the first time in over 50 years that John has gone back to explore his Lovin' Spoonful work and the pre-release reviews have been very positive. The album will be released later this month. As to their appearance on the Opry, I am hopeful John will sing "Nashville Cats." 

Also appearing on the Friday Night Opry will be Grand Ole Opry members John Conlee, Bobby Osborne & The Rocky Top X-Press, Mark Wills and Hall of Fame member Connie Smith. In addition to John Sebastian and Arlen Roth, Tony Jackson, Jillian Jacqueline, comedian John Crist and Americana artist Charley Crockett are also on the schedule. 

Saturday night's Grand Ole Opry will have a number of tributes to commemorate the 20th anniversary of 9/11. The televised portion will feature a few live artists performing on the Opry, while there will be taped appearances, which were done at the Opry over the past several weeks, featuring Trisha Yearwood, Billy Ray Cyrus, and others, hosted by Charles Esten. In fact, the Circle TV show is scheduled for two hours, however not the entire two hours of the Opry will be shown. 

So looking at Saturday night, Opry members Jeannie Seely, Bill Anderson and Vince Gill are listed on the schedule. Guesting will be MercyMe, Lee Roy Parnell, The McCrary Sisters, and the previously mentioned Charles Esten. 

Friday September 10
7:00: John Conlee; Jillian Jacqueline; Bobby Osborne & The Rocky Top X-Press; Charley Crockett; Mark Wills
Intermission
8:15: Tony Jackson; John Crist; John Sebastian & Arlen Roth; Connie Smith

Saturday September 11
7:00: Opry Square Dancers; MercyMe; Jeannie Seely; Lee Roy Parnell
8:00: The McCrary Sisters; Charles Esten; Bill Anderson; Vince Gill
_________________________________________________________________

And now, here is the running order from 50 years ago, Saturday September 11, 1971; 

1st show
6:00: Vietti
Porter Wagoner (host): Be a Little Quieter
Dolly Parton: Mule Skinner Blues
Speck Rhodes: Running Bare
Ronnie Blackwell: Pick Me Up on Your Way Down
Mac McGaha and Buck Trent: Turkey in the Straw
Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton: The Right Combination
Dolly Parton: Coat of Many Colors

6:30: Mrs. Grissoms
Charlie Louvin (host) and Diane McCall: Something to Brag About/Take Up Where Goodbye Began
Charlie Louvin's Band: Cannonball Rag
Charlie Louvin: Love Has to Die All By Itself

6:45: Rudy's
Bill Monroe (host): (?)
Del Wood: (?)
Bill Monroe: Kentucky Waltz
Del Wood: Down Yonder
Bill Monroe: Mule Skinner Blues

7:00: Luzianne
Tex Ritter (host): Boll Weevil
Stu Phillips: A Cabin; A Castle
Ernie Ashworth: Sad Face
Tex Ritter; Jealous Heart
Stu Phillips: Is Anybody Going to San Antone
Grand Ole Opry Staff Band: Remington Ride
Ernie Ashworth: The Battle of the Blues
Harold Weakley: Where No One Stands Alone
Tex Ritter: I Dreamed of a Hillbilly Heaven

7:30: Standard Candy
Roy Acuff (host): Wabash Cannonball
Willis Brothers: Big Daddy
Connie Eaton: Make the World Go Away
Crook Brothers: Black Mountain Rag
Willis Brothers: A 6ft 2 by 4
Connie Eaton: Ring of Fire
Roy Acuff: The Great Speckled Bird

8:00: Martha White
Lester Flatt (host)
Paul Warren: Black Eyed Susie
Stringbean: Wanda
Carl and Pearl Butler: Sundown in Nashville
Diana Trask: There Goes My Everything
Lester Flatt: I Can't Tell the Boys From the Girls
Stringbean: Jitterbug
Carl and Pearl Butler: Don't Let Me Cross Over
Lester Flatt: Shuckin' the Corn

8:30: W. E. Stephens
Ernest Tubb (host): Answer the Phone
Marion Worth: For the Good Times
The 4 Guys: You Can Tell the World About This
Fruit Jar Drinkers: Walking in My Sleep
Ernest Tubb: Shenandoah Waltz
Bud Brewer: Working Man Blues
Leon Boulanger: Oklahoma Hills
Ernest Tubb: Waltz Across Texas

2nd show
9:30: Kellogg's
Bill Monroe (host): The Gold Rush
Willis Brothers: Women's Liberation
Diana Trask: The Chokin' Kind
Ernie Ashworth: Corrina; Corrina
Bill Monroe: There's An Old House
Diana Trask: Stand By Your Man
Bill Monroe: Live & Let Live

10:00: Fender
Tex Ritter (host): Wayward Wind
Del Wood: Gloryland March
Connie Eaton: Take My Hand Precious Lord
Tex Ritter: Fall Away

10:15: Union 76
Porter Wagoner (host): Be a Little Quieter
Dolly Parton: Coat of Many Colors
Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton: The Right Combination/The Last Thing on My Mind

10:30: Trailblazer
Lester Flatt (host): Rollin' In My Sweet Baby's Arms
Stringbean: Ruby
Stu Phillips: I'd Rather Be Sorry
Lester Flatt: Ballad of Jed Clampett

10:45: Beech-Nut
Ernest Tubb (host): I'm Gonna Make My Home a Million Miles from Here
Bud Brewer: Sing Me Back Home
Crook Brothers: Mississippi Sawyer
Ernest Tubb: Another Story

11:00: Coca Cola
Roy Acuff (host): Wabash Cannonball
Justin Tubb: Lodi
Carl and Pearl Butler: Sundown in Nashville
Fruit Jar Drinkers: Bill Cheatham
Roy Acuff: Tied Down
Justin Tubb: Lonesome 7-7203
Sam McGee: When the Wagon Was New

11:30: Elm Hill
Marty Robbins (host): Devil Woman
Marion Worth: I'm So Afraid of Losing You Again/Faded Love
The 4 Guys: Cottonfields/Maria/Shenandoah
Marty Robbins: Begging to You/Don't Worry/ Big Boss Man/They'll Never Take Her Love from Me/Driftwood on the River/Letter's Have No Arms/I'll Step Aside

Looking ahead to next week, Tuesday September 14 will be the induction of The Isaacs as the newest members of the Grand Ole Opry. 

There you have it for this week. As always, thanks for reading and commenting and I hope everyone enjoys the Grand Ole Opry this weekend. 



9 comments:

  1. I have to tell you, I've come to accept the acts that are actually billed as "country" these days when they appear on the Opry. It's not my kind of "country" but I'm approaching old-Fogey stage of life and that's just the way it is.

    What I really have a problem with is the Grand Ole Opry, what used to be the home of "country music", becoming a welcome venue for the senior citizens of all genres of music to appear when so many older country acts were not called upon or allowed very limited appearances in their waning years. Think Stonewall Jackson or even consider the deal where Kitty and Earl wanted to rejoin and were told no. What a shame.

    I suppose it has to be for it is about filling the seats....which I understand...and I'll just bet the average attendee at the Opry these days is far more likely to know who John Sebastian and Lovin' Spoonful are than Roy Acuff Ernest Tubb, Ray Price, Bill Anderson or even Tammy Wynette!

    Sorry folks, I just have a bad taste in my mouth about how some of Opry's loyal members were treated in their golden years and then to watch these never claimed to be country acts have the honor of standing in the circle. Call me near sited and narrow minded, I'll accept that.

    I don't need reminded of all the times folks like James Brown showed up for an appearance or two. That was the exception and not the norm through the years and that showed that "most" of the Opry family acknowledged that other music was good and okay too. I just don't see this constant parade of old folks from other genres as the same thing.

    I get this way about every 4-6 weeks and have to get it out of my system. Thanks for tolerating.

    Jim
    Knightsville, IN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim: When you say Earl, were you talking about Earl Thomas Conley? Bob

      Delete
    2. Bob, Jim was referring to Earl Scruggs.

      Delete
    3. Thank You Byron. Bob

      Delete
  2. Charley Crockett is pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure loved those 5 and 6 hour shows which made it worthwhile to make a 500 mile trip to the Opry well worth the cost. I would never spend the money these days for a lousy 2 hour show, especially on Saturday night --- Dashmann, Flushing, Michigan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree fully! The last time I attended an Opry show was during a winter run at the Ryman and it was still a 2.5 hour show although the second shows were already downgraded to 2 hours at that point. It is simply impossible to justify the expense of a ticket alone and that does not include secondary expenses such as travel, food and lodging. I attended a Ricky Skaggs show about three weeks ago near my home at $45 for a front row seat! Sure I didn't get the variety of music that the Opry offers but I got a whole lot more of the music I love for a lot less cash. I doubt I will ever visit the Opry again and that makes me sad.

      Delete
  4. I have always wanted to attend an Opry performance. But at the current prices, I cannot justify it. I should have gone forty years ago. Not only would the cost of a ticket have been reasonable, but overall the level of talent would have been incredibly higher. Most of the time instead of listening to today's opry I would rather listen to the archives, which go all the way back to the late 30's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. John Sebastien was more country than some of the folks who call themselves country-- I know the black sisters who were on the Circle portion tonight are tremendously talented, but I don't want to listen to screechy music on the Grand Ole Opry --- give me drinkin' and cheatin' songs and heartbreak tunes ---- that is what country has always been !!! Dashmann, Flushing, Michigan

    ReplyDelete