Monday, November 29, 2021

Tuesday Night Opry November 30

The Grand Ole Opry closes out the month of November with the Tuesday Night Opry, featuring one of the Opry's newest members, Carly Pearce. Also appearing will be Matthew West, so I am going to assume that Matthew and Carly will be doing their duet together. 

7:00: Connie Smith; Riders In The Sky; Skip Ewing; Home Free
Intermission
8:15: Aaron Weber; Matthew West; Carly Pearce

Also listed on the schedule is Dallas Wayne with no specific time slot

I will admit that I was one of those who saw Skip Ewing's name on the line-up and wondered what ever happened to him as that was a name that I had not seen in years. 

For Skip Ewing, there’s a mystique about the West, a land populated by fascinating characters and shaped by unforgettable legends. Ewing’s new album, Wyoming, is as expansive as the majestic landscape of his current home and as deep as his roots in Tennessee, where he evolved from early days as an Opryland performer to one of Nashville’s most successful singer/ songwriters. A native of Redlands, CA, Ewing also spent some of his formative years in South Carolina and Colorado before moving to Nashville in 1984.

Ewing has had songs recorded by Keith Urban, Zach Brown Band, George Strait, Keb Mo, Willie Nelson, and numerous others. His #1 hits include Collin Raye’s “Love, Me,” Diamond Rio’s “I Believe,” Kenny Chesney’s “You Had Me From Hello,” Clint Black’s “Something That We Do,” Brian White’s “Rebecca Lynn,” “Someone Else’s Star,” and “I’m Not Supposed to Love You Anymore.” 

After a detour that took him to new territory geographically, professionally, and spiritually, he’s crafted his first new album in more than a decade. “I started writing the album in 2018. At the time, I didn’t know if I’d ever do another music project,” Ewing admits. “I had sold everything in Nashville, my furniture, my house. I sold everything except my instruments and some art. In the meantime, I’d been coming to Wyoming every year since the early 2000s.”

Though music would remain his first love, Ewing developed a passion for horses and discovered he had a gift for working with them. “I rode thousands of miles horseback,” Ewing says, “I devoted myself to horsemanship. I learn so much from them about who I am and how I can better myself.”

Soon, Ewing found himself in a particularly creative season of his life. “I started writing again,” Ewing says. “My wife came home one day, and I played her another song, and she said, ‘Honey, it’s time to put all the journeys together. The world needs to hear this.”

“I wasn’t writing for any specific genre; I was writing for the hearts and ears of the people I believed would listen. I was writing as an artist. I was out here letting myself draw from whatever musical wells I had, and whatever was in me,” Ewing explains. “I was writing imagining I was going to share it with people all over the world. That made a big difference in where I went, and it felt good to be free,” he says.

“You can hear that I’m happy. There’s so much warmth and encouragement around this record. People are genuinely excited to hear it. And when they listen, they’re excited to share it. I’m praying that leads to the immense good fortune of getting to create music for a living again.



5 comments:

  1. Skip Ewing goes back to my childhood. He had some great Top 10 hits of his own in the late 1980's, "The Gospel According to Luke" and "Burnin' a Hole in My Heart" come to mind.

    One super great song Ewing wrote was "Play, Ruby Play", an album track of Conway Twitty from 1989, that the country legend sang often in his live concerts. An artist named Clinton Gregory took it into the lower Top-10 in the early 1990's.

    Sadly, Skip Ewing is one of those artists that you cannot find at all to download or stream his original recordings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clinton Gregory is another one who seems to have disappeared. Saw him on the Opry a few times and he had a couple of radio hits back in the day. I assume he is still active in the club circuit.

      Delete
    2. Byron, Clinton Gregory suffered a stroke 4/5 years ago, something like that. I don't know if he is touring, I don't see much information on him. He does have a FB page, not much there either. Saw him many, many years ago, at a small club not far from me, HE has one of the best country voices. He is only 57 y/o. He had a big hit, "If It Weren't For Country Music, I'd Go Crazy" a really great song. And he is a great fiddler too. There is a great video of this song on YouTube from an appearance on the old TNN cable channel. He's been playing since he's been 5.

      (Jeanene)

      Delete
    3. Jeanene, thanks for the info. I did not know. Sorry to hear that he has had health issues.

      Delete
  2. Love both Skip Ewing and Clinton Gregory despite being a traditionalist. I am not opposed to progress as long as it is kept country. Skip will still break your heart with " Christmas Carol " if you search and listen to it, and Clinton's " If it weren't for country music " will stir your emotions --- Dashmann, Flushing, Michigan --

    ReplyDelete