Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Grand Ole Opry 6/24 & 6/25

This week the Grand Ole Opry finishes up the last weekend in June with the usual Friday Night Opry and Saturday's Grand Ole Opry. 

Looking at the schedule for this weekend, Grand Ole Opry members The Isaacs, Dailey & Vincent and Riders In The Sky are scheduled for both nights. For the Riders In The Sky, it will be the start of their 41st year as Opry members as last Saturday they were honored for their 40th. Joining that trio on the Friday Night Opry will be members Jeannie Seely and Mike Snider, while on Saturday night John Conlee is on the schedule. 

The name on the Friday night schedule that some might not be familiar with is Bowen Young, who as a duo will be making their Opry debut. Also listed is Tim Dugger and Maddie & Tae. 

Songwriter Tom Douglas, who made his Opry debut back in March, is back for a return appearance on Saturday night, along with Waylon Payne, Hannah Dasher and making his Opry debut, Shy Carter. 

Friday June 24
7:00: Jeannie Seely, Bowen Young, Riders In The Sky, Tim Dugger
Intermission
8:15: Dailey & Vincent, Mike Snider, Maddie & Tae, The Isaacs

Saturday June 25
7:00: Opry Square Dancers, Dailey & Vincent, Waylon Payne, Hannah Dasher, John Conlee
Intermission
8:15: Riders In The Sky, Shy Carter, Opry Square Dancers, Tom Douglas, The Isaacs

I am sure some are wondering who is Bowen Young? Well, it is actually a duo consisting of Clare Bowen, who gain famed as one of the stars of "Nashville," and Brandon Robert Young, who in real life are a married couple. 

Brandon Robert Young moved to Nashville in 2000 and since then has been working on his songwriting, collaborating with names such as Emmylou Harris, John Carter Cash, Buddy Miller, and of course, Clare Bowen. His music was featured in "Nashville" along with a number of other television shows. 

In 2018, after "Nashville" completed it's run, Clare Bowen, along with Brandon, nabbed a coveted spot on Sugarland’s “Still The Same Tour”. She then set out on a headlining tour in support of the international release of her eponymous album with sold-out shows across the UK, Germany and Australia. The album made its highly anticipated debut in the US and the rest of the world in Summer 2019.

The couple just completed their first album and are planning a future tour.

As mentioned, Shy Carter is also making his Opry debut this weekend. He is a 2022 CMT “Listen Up” artist and was previously named an artist to watch by Amazon Music, MusicRow magazine, Pandora, Sounds Like Nashville and more. This songwriter/producer has worked in the past with artists such as Kane Brown and Keith Urban. Named to Variety’s 2018 Hitmakers list, he has also worked with Jason Derulo, Meghan Trainor, Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Lopez, Nelly and more. In other words, he is not strictly a country artist. 


There are not very many former Grand Ole Opry members who are still living, but one of them is Willie Nelson. Willie was an Opry member in the mid-60s and when he decided to leave Nashville, he left the Opry behind. His final appearance on the Opry, as a member, took place on Saturday June 25, 1966. Here is the running order from that show 56 years ago: 

6:30: Mrs. Grissoms
Ernie Ashworth (host) (?)
Grandpa Jones: (?)
Ernie Ashworth: (?)

6:45: Rudy's
Bill Anderson (host): Po' Folks
Jeannie Seely: Don't Touch Me
Jimmy Gately: Old Faithful
Bill Anderson: I Love You Drop

7:00: National Life & Accident
Osborne Brothers (host): Up This Hill & Down
Billy Walker: Funny How Time Slips Away
Connie Smith: If I Talk to Him
Roy Drusky: Rainbows & Roses
Osborne Brothers: (?)
Roy Drusky: Alone with You
Connie Smith: Even Tho
Billy Walker: Down to My Last Cigarette
Osborne Brothers: I'll Be Alright Tomorrow
Jerry Byrd: The Married Man

7:30: Luzianne
George Morgan (host): No Man Should Hurt as Bad as I Do
Dottie West: Would You Hold It Against Me
Del Wood: Rainbow
Chuck Wagon Gang: I'm Getting Ready
George Morgan: Almost
Stu Phillips: Mansion on the Hill
Dottie West: Don't You Ever Get Tired of Hurting Me
George Morgan: Who, at My Door, Is Standing

8:00: Martha White
Porter Wagoner (host): Country Music Has Gone to Town
Osborne Brothers: Up This Hill & Down
Crook Brothers and The Stoney Mountain Cloggers: Sally Goodin
Archie Campbell: Comedy
Cousin Jody: Wabash Cannonball
Porter Wagoner: I Dreamed I Saw America on Her Knees
George McCormick: Where the Old Red River Flows
Osborne Brothers: Hard Time
Mac McGaha: Katy Hill

8:30: Stephens
Ernest Tubb (host): Two Glasses Joe
Loretta Lynn: You Ain't Woman Enough
Wilburn Brothers: I Can't Keep Away from You
Willie Nelson: I Love You Because
Ernest Tubb: Letters Have No Arms
Loretta Lynn: Before I'm Over You
Wilburn Brothers and Loretta Lynn: Put It Off Until Tomorrow
Willie Nelson: I'm Still Not Over You
Ernest Tubb: Give Me a Little Old-Fashioned Love

9:00: Pet Milk
Hank Locklin (host): Cryin' Time
Jean Shepard: Ain't You Ashamed
Ray Pillow: Common Cold & A Broken Heart
Bill Carlisle: Take This Country Music & Shove It
Hank Locklin: Send Me the Pillow You Dream On
Dwaine Dee: Danny Boy
Ray Pillow and Jean Shepard: I'll Take the Dog
Bill Carlisle: The Great Snowman
Hank Locklin: Y'all Come

9:30: Kellogg's
Hank Snow (host): The Count Down
Willis Brothers: Private Lee
George Morgan: No Man Should Hurt as Bad as I Do
Grandpa Jones: Kitty Clyde
Hank Snow: I've Cried a Mile
Fruit Jar Drinkers: Walking in My Sleep
George Morgan: You're the Only Good Thing
Grandpa Jones: Nobody Knows but Me
Hank Snow: I Don't Hurt Anymore

10:00: Schick
Bill Anderson (host): You Don't Want My Love
Dottie West: Would You Hold It Against Me
Ernie Ashworth: At Ease Heart
Bill Anderson: Bright Lights & Country Music

10:15: Pure
Porter Wagoner (host): Dooley
George McCormick: There's A Woman
Bill Carlisle: No Help Wanted
Porter Wagoner: I'll Go Down Swinging/I've Enjoyed as Much of This as I Can Stand/Misery Loves Company/Sorrow on the Rock
Buck Trent and Mac McGaha: Turkey In the Straw

10:30: Harvey's
Ray Pillow (host): Thank You Ma'am
Jean Shepard: Many Happy Hangovers to You
Del Wood: Blue Moon of Kentucky
Ray Pillow: Six Days on the Road

10:45: Newport
Ernest Tubb (host): Thanks A Lot
Hank Locklin: I Can't Stop Loving You
Crook Brothers and The Stoney Mountain Cloggers: Mississippi Sawyer
Ernest Tubb: Mr. Juke Box

11:00: Coca Cola
Hank Snow (host): I've Been Everywhere
Loretta Lynn: You Ain't Woman Enough
Wilburn Brothers: I Can't Keep Away From You
Fruit Jar Drinkers: (?)
Hank Snow: Down the Trail of Aching Hearts
Sam McGee: Victory Rag
Loretta Lynn: How Great Thou Art
Osborne Brothers: Hard Time
Hank Snow: I'm Moving On

11:30: Lava
Bobby Lord (host): That's All Right
Dwaine Dee: Take Good Care of Her
Archie Campbell: The Men in My Little Girl's Life
Willis Brothers: Diamonds on Your Hands
Chuck Wagon Gang: Cabin on the Hill
Bobby Lord: Lonely Street
Cousin Jody: Mocking Bird
Bobby Lord: Hawkeye

As you can see, on that final night for Willie, he performed just one spot. Once Willie left Nashville and the Opry, he rarely has come back. Just a handful of appearances at most. 

To finish up the month of June, let's go back to Saturday June 24, 1989, when some guy by the name of Garth Brooks made his debut on the Grand Ole Opry:

1st show
6:30: Charlie Walker (host): Jeannie Seely
6:45: Billy Walker (host): Jean Shepard
7:00: Jack Greene (host): Ray Pillow; Del Wood; The Whites
7:30: Johnny Russell (host): The 4 Guys; Garth Brooks
8:00: Roy Acuff (host): Bill Carlisle; Roy Drusky; Opry Square Dance Band; The Stoney Mountain Cloggers
8:30: Hank Snow (host): Charlie Louvin; Jimmy C Newman; Stonewall Jackson; Mike Snider

2nd show
9:30: Jack Greene (host): The 4 Guys; Billy Walker; The Whites
10:00: Charlie Walker (host): Jean Shepard
10:15: Roy Acuff (host): Bill Carlisle
10:30: Jimmy C Newman (host): Garth Brooks
10:45: Roy Drusky (host): Opry Square Dance Band; The Stoney Mountain Cloggers
11:00: Ray Pillow (host): Jeannie Seely; Mike Snider
11:30: Johnny Russell (host): Connie Smith; Charlie Louvin

(Del Wood, Stonewall Jackson and Hank Snow only appeared on the first show, while Connie Smith only appeared on the second show. And speaking of Hank Snow, he was scheduled to host the 11:00 segment on the second show, however, he was in a car accident between shows and did not make it back to the Opry. Hank had a habit of driving back to his house, The Rainbow Ranch, between Opry shows and staying there instead of backstage in his dressing room. He lived only about 10 minutes from the Opry House, so it was an easy drive for him. However, on this particular night, it did not work out for him). 

Garth Brooks appeared on the segment hosted by Johnny Russell on the first show, which was also the televised segment. Garth never forgot the kindness Johnny showed to him and afterwards, he would insist that, if possible, he was to be scheduled on Johnny's segment. When Johnny's health declined and he was facing large medical bills, Garth was one of the first performers to sign up for the benefit concert that took place to help Johnny out. 

There you have it for this week. Next week, I will offer a quick recap of the first half of 2022, specifically detailing some information as to appearances by various members of the Opry. 

As always, thanks for reading and commenting and I hope everyone enjoys the Opry this weekend. 








20 comments:

  1. I wanted to add a comment and ask a question. I think most have noticed that I have given the ok for ads to be placed on the blog. I am interested to see if anyone cares or has any objections to. I do this blog for all of you and as fellow fans of the Opry, I don't want to do anything that takes away this experience or takes anything away. You can leave your comments, message or email me and let me know. Thanks to all who have supported me over the past decades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally find the ads annoying as they tend to pop up unexpectedly and block out the page but if they put some extra coins in your pocket then I guess it's a small price to pay considering all that you have done for us over the years. I would suggest that if you have any control over the type of ads that you choose those that would be of interest to fans of the Opry and traditional country music as myself. At 63 I am not really into dating services and foreign women websites.

      Delete
    2. Thanks and point well taken.
      (Byron)

      Delete
    3. Having ads is understandable. It's just too bad that the ads aren't for "Martha White Flour", or "Goo-Goo's", or even "Jogging In A Jug".

      Delete
  2. They're annoying, but if they pay to keep the site free, or do some good somewhere, I can live with them.

    By the way, regarding Mr. Snow's auto accident, I remember someone posted here a while back that Mr. Snow was not the world's best driver, or at the very least had visions of being Richard Petty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that was probably me. Back in 1983, I was visiting backstage with a friend. Since parking space was at a premium behind the Opry House, only performers and band members could park there. Guests had to park in the Opryland operations office parking lot next door and then walk about 50 yards down to the guard shack. Anyway, it was a little before midnight when we left the building and we were walking down along the service road when I heard a car throwing gravel and roaring down the road at a high rate of speed (WELL over the posted 14 MPH for the service road, anyway). I turned around and saw a huge, black Lincoln town car bearing down on us and we both started laughing as it roared past because it was Hank Snow behind the wheel still dressed in the green and red Nudie suit he had worn onstage a few minutes earlier. It was kind of an absurd sight because Hank was such a small man and it looked as though he could just barely see over the steering wheel of the huge car he was driving! He left us in his dust as he drove off doing about 50 down the service road next the hotel and on out of sight. I doubt that he slowed down until he got to Madison. I remember hearing about his accident...and not being surprised in the least.

      Delete
    2. Barry, I thought it was you who told the story, but I didn't want to say it and be incorrect.

      Delete
  3. Small price to pay for this blog, if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments. You all will notice that I have taken down the ads that were up on the site. I just wasn't very happy with the way they looked, and I thought took away from the ability to read what I had posted. I may look at something else less intrusive.

    As to Hank, I had heard stories as to his driving skills. He apparently liked to drive fast and would cut it close as to getting back to the Opry from his house between shows. I had also heard that later in his career, he had someone drive him to and from the Opry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Byron: I have AdBlocker and Ublock so the ads dont come up for me, so no problem. If it helps keep the site free then so be it. Love the content as usual

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don’t mind the ads if they help you keep the blog going. I know you have expenses associated with this effort and I for one get so much from this blog in both timely information and fellowship with fellow Opry lovers that anything that helps you is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GaryMarchbanks

      Delete
    2. I see that Don Schlitz has been added in place of Tom Douglas on Saturday night. Replacing one songwriter with another. I did not see any notation that they were doing Don's induction on Saturday or not. I would suspect no only from a planning standpoint.

      Delete
  7. The first day with the ads was bad, they kept popping up over all of the text - next time not so much. There are ads on most webpages in the margins etc so we are used to them, but these were very annoying. Thx for asking for the feedback, a little to help out is ok, a lot is not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ads or no ads, I'm good. Don't pay much attention to them.

    (Jeanene)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny thing is I had just requested some information from a company on the internet and those adds started showing up. I thought they were doing it. Shows you what I know about the internet! They were a bit distracting at first because they were new. Whatever you need to do to keep the blog going is good with me. We'll deal with it.

    Listening to parts of the Opry tonight it came to me that we have probably seen the last of the great, legendary or even good or noted Opry announcers. I think Eddies Stubbs might hold the title as the last of the bread. Listening to the lady tonight made me realize that. Just feels too overly bubbly and not so genuine but that is common today. At this point I really wish Bill Cody would do it more.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Mike Terry, but I agree. Of course, once upon a time, it was a plum assignment. I can understand Bill Cody not doing it more when he's on at 6 a.m. That's a looooong day.

      Delete
    2. I still miss Keith Bilbrey!

      Delete
  10. Mike is fine, Bill is fine, but Eddie was the best since Grant Turner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a shoutout to Hairl Hensley as well. "Tootsie's Orchid Lounge--37 steps from the Ryman Auditorium, 74 if you're Little Jimmy Dickens."

      Delete