Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Grand Ole Opry 1/13 & 1/14

Starting off with the big news from last Friday night at the Grand Ole Opry: 

From the Nashville Tennessean:

Grand Ole Opry members Connie Smith and Marty Stuart invited Gary Mule Deer and Henry Cho -- a pair of comedians with more than 100 combined appearances on the show -- to become the 229th and 230th members of the cast of the near century-old program on Friday evening at the kickoff of a special "Opry at the Ryman" series of Opry presentations at the Ryman Auditorium.

"They wanted to start the year off with a smile … So, on behalf of the Grand Ole Opry, the staff, and the cast, we just don't think we could do without you anymore. You've been family for a long time, and we'd like to invite you to be members of the Grand Ole Opry," stated Stuart via a Facebook Live chat before the proceedings.

"Marty, Henry, and Gary said it best themselves when they were talking before tonight's invitation," said Opry Executive Producer Dan Rogers. "Comedy has been an integral -- and more importantly, FUN -- part of the Opry for decades. It's going to be fabulous to have both Henry and Gary as Opry members and for many of their fellow comedians on Opry shows to keep ratcheting up the fun factor every night."

Given that they have accepted their invitations, Cho and Mule Deer will represent the first comedians inducted into the Opry in nearly a half-century since Jerry Clower's 1973 induction.

The comedians' induction dates will be announced soon.

Mule Deer is an 83-year-old native of Deadwood, South Dakota, whose trademark upswept coiffure and dry wit have allowed him a six-decade-long comedic and musical career that has impacted the likes of Woody Allen, David Letterman and Steve Martin. He's a live crowd favorite as a regular addition to the Opry's hour-long programming.

Cho -- the Opry's first-ever Asian-American cast member -- has four decades of comedic experience. In a 2021 interview, the native of Knoxville, Tennessee, noted that former Opry General Manager Pete Fisher initially approached him about playing special occasions like the 2012 commemoration of Opry legend Minnie Pearl's 100th birthday. He added that Amy Grant noted that "humor had always been a part of the Opry and that it had been missing [for a while]."

Cho counts friendships with the likes of Opry members Rascal Flatts and Vince Gill, plus history as a tour opener for Brooks & Dunn and Reba McEntire, as highlights of his career history.

Though not delivered under Minnie Pearl's iconic $1.98 straw hat, comedy as told by the likes of Cho and Mule Deer is still vital to country music’s legacy.

These invitations continue a recent cycle of Opry membership additions (Ashley McBryde's induction closed 2022 in December) since Darius Rucker's in January 2021 that rivals a 1964-65 swing of seven inductions that included membership being granted to performers, including Willie Nelson and the previously mentioned Smith.

Let me add a couple of corrections: 

When Ashley McBryde was inducted last month, she was the 231st member in the history of the Opry. So that would make Gary Mule Deer and Henry Cho the 232nd and 233rd members. In addition, it was Lady A, who was invited by Darius Rucker, who joined the Opry's cast in January 2021. Counting Lady A, Gary Mule Deer and Henry Cho will become the 11th and 12th new members since the start of 2021. 

While Gary Mule Deer and Henry Cho are not super-stars, their invitations continue the recent trend of inviting as members those who have supported the show over the years. With over 100 guest appearances each, they certainly qualify. It will be especially nice to have a couple of comedians joining the Opry cast. As mentioned in the Tennessean article, the last comedian to join the cast was Jerry Clower in October 1973. Jerry was an Opry member until passing away in August 1998. 


The other "breaking news" regarding the Grand Ole Opry concerns the upcoming Friday Night Opry, which will include only Grand Ole Opry members. That's right!! It has been a while since there was an Opry show with only Opry members. If my memory is correct, I do believe that the last time was the 5,000 show in 2021. While there are only seven on the schedule, it is a very solid group that will be performing. 

Friday January 13
7:00: Mark Wills, Connie Smith, John Conlee, Terri Clark
Intermission
8:15: Riders In The Sky, Ricky Skaggs, Carly Pearce

Saturday night will feature four Opry members: Hall of Famers Vince Gill and Don Schlitz, along with Mark Wills and the legendary Jeannie Seely. Guesting will be Sawyer Brown, who always brings excitement to the Opry, along with Charlie Worsham, and making is Opry debut, Corey Kent. 

Saturday January 14
7:00: Opry Square Dancers, Mark Wills, Jeannie Seely, Corey Kent, Sawyer Brown
Intermission
8:15: Charlie Worsham, Opry Square Dancers, Don Schlitz, Vince Gill


As mentioned, Corey Kent is making his Grand Ole Opry debut on Saturday night. 

While Corey may be new to many Opry fans, he has been writing and performing for almost 20 years. He has been on stage with Parker McCollum, Corey Johnson and Eli Young Band and considers The Eagles, Keith Richards and the Turnpike Troubadours among those who have influenced his music and style. In March of 2022, he released his smash hit single, "Wild As Her," which hit the #1 spot on Apple Music's Country Chart for ten days and landed on Spotify's U.S. Viral Top 50 Chart (all-genre) at #7 and GLOBAL Viral Top 50 Chart at #36 as the only Country act featured. Since then, it has racked up over 50 million streams in the first 100 days and can be heard on Sirius XM's The Highway, Spotify's Hot Country, Apple Music's Today's Country, and Amazon Music's Country Heat!


Now from 45 years ago, Saturday January 14, 1978: 

1st show
6:00: Jack Greene (host), Jeannie Seely, Charlie Walker, Billy Grammer, Billy Walker
6:30: Bill Monroe (host), Justin Tubb, Wilburn Brothers
6:45: Stonewall Jackson (host), Wilma Lee Cooper, Willis Brothers
7:00: Porter Wagoner (host), Skeeter Davis, Bob Luman, Ray Pillow, Ernie Ashworth
7:30: Roy Acuff (host), Charlie Louvin, David Houston, Jim and Jesse, Crook Brothers, Tennessee Travelers
8:00: Lester Flatt (host), Grandpa Jones, Lonzo and Oscar, Charlie Nixon, Bill Carlisle
8:30: Hank Snow (host), Jimmy C Newman, Bessyl Duhon, The 4 Guys, Fruit Jar Drinkers

2nd show
9:30: Bill Monroe (host), Bob Luman, Jack Greene, Jeannie Seely, Charlie Walker, Charlie Louvin
10:00: Porter Wagoner (host), Wilburn Brothers, Ernie Ashworth, Billy Walker
10:15: Roy Acuff (host), Billy Grammer, Justin Tubb
10:30: Lester Flatt (host), Skeeter Davis, Jimmy C Newman, Willis Brothers
10:45: Grandpa Jones (host), Wilma Lee Cooper, Ray Pillow, Crook Brothers, Tennessee Travelers
11:00: Hank Snow (host), The 4 Guys, Jim and Jesse, Fruit Jar Drinker
11:30: David Houston (host), Lonzo and Oscar, Bill Carlisle

(Jean Shepard, Stu Phillips and Don Williams were scheduled for both shows but canceled, while Kirk McGee canceled on the late show. Stonewall Jackson was scheduled for both shows, but only appeared on the early show). 


Over the years, many country music stars made appearances on the Opry. Some appeared quite often, while others appeared just a few times. One of those was Faith Hill. Faith made her Grand Ole Opry debut in December 1993. She came back again on Saturday January 14, 1995. Here is the running order from that night 28 years ago: 

1st show
6:30: GHS Strings
Bill Monroe (host): It's Mighty Dark for Me to Travel
Bill Carlisle: Leave That Liar Alone
Bill Monroe: Life's Railway to Heaven

6:45: Country Music Hall of Fame
Jimmy Dickens (host): Family Reunion
Grandpa Jones: Apple Jack
Jimmy Dickens: Life Turned Her That Way

7:00: Shoney's
Porter Wagoner (host): Dooley
Brother Oswald: John Hardy
Skeeter Davis: The End of the World
George Hamilton IV: 'Til I Can Gain Control Again
Ricky Skaggs: Lovin' Only Me
Porter Wagoner: I Thought I Heard You Calling My Name/Big Wind

7:30: Standard Candy
Jack Greene (host): Highway In the Sky
David Ball: I've Got a Thinking Problem/Look What Followed Me Home
Faith Hill: Take Me as I Am/I Can't Do That Anymore
Jack Greene: If God Can Forgive You, So Can I/There Goes My Everything

8:00: Martha White
Bill Anderson (host): Wild Weekend
Jeanne Pruett: Temporarily Yours
Jim and Jesse: Then I'll Stop Going for You
Billy Walker: Adam's Side
Opry Square Dance Band and The Melvin Sloan Dancers: Rachel
Bill Anderson: Golden Guitar

8:30: Kraft
Hank Snow (host): My Memories of You
Alison Krauss: When You Say Nothing at All/I Can't Get You Off of My Mind
Jimmy C Newman: Cochon De Lait
Mike Snider: Foggy Mountain Chimes/Snuff Dipper
Hank Snow: Just A Faded Pedal from a Beautiful Bouquet

2nd show
9:30: Dollar General
Porter Wagoner (host): Tell Her Lies and Feed Her Candy
Stonewall Jackson: Me & You & A Dog Named Boo
Alison Krauss: I Thought I Heard You Calling My Name
Charlie Louvin: Every Time You Leave
Del Reeves: Two Dollars in the Jukebox/A Dime at A Time/Looking at the World Through a Windshield
Porter Wagoner: I've Enjoyed as Much of This as I Can Stand
Collen Walters: Alone with You

10:00: Goody's
Bill Monroe (host): I Would Love to Be Over Yonder
Bill Monroe and Ricky Skaggs: Uncle Pen
Bill Monroe: A Beautiful Life/Bluegrass Breakdown

10:15: Sunbeam/Tennessee Pride
Grandpa Jones (host): Don't Cha Cry Melinda
Jimmy C Newman: Colinda
Grandpa Jones: Tritzem Yodel

10:30: Gruhn Guitar
Bill Anderson (host): Before I Met You
Charlie Walker: Cherokee Maiden
Bill Anderson: Still/Bright Lights & Country Music

10:45: Fairfield Communities
Jimmy Dickens (host): Take an Old Cold Tater
Jim Ed Brown: Lyin' In Love with You
Opry Square Dance Band and The Melvin Sloan Dancers: Lafayette

11:00: Coca Cola
Hank Snow (host): On The Seashores of Old Mexico
Jack Greene: Ever Since My Baby Went Away
Connie Smith: Once A Day
Stu Phillips: Blue Canadian Rockies
The Whites: San Antonio Rose/Keep on the Sunny Side
Hank Snow: Rainbows End

11:30: Cates Pickles
Johnny Russell: Red Necks, Whie Socks & Blue Ribbon Beer
Jim and Jesse: Branded Wherever I Go
John Conlee: I Don't Remember Loving You
Mel McDaniel: Baby's Got Her Blue Jeans On/Stand Up
Johnny Russell: Why Me Lord

As was the case many times, when a "bigger" name would appear on the Opry, and the 7:30 segment was televised, the artist would often appear only on the televised portion on the first show and skip the late show. This was true on this particular night with Faith Hill, and with David Ball, who was also guesting. And as you can see, by this period of time, a few of the Opry's members were only scheduled on one of the two shows in an effort to get everyone on. 

There you have it for this week. As always, thanks for reading and commenting and I hope everyone enjoys the Grand Ole Opry this weekend. 









17 comments:

  1. Great stuff as always!

    If I'm correct, Gary is the 3rd 83-year-old to become a member, after Bashful Brother Oswald (who merely had a 56-year tryout), and Bobby Bare, who was brought back on his birthday, as I recall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who would believe it?
    A show with all 'Opry members!
    Good news for some of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For those interested, Henry Cho's Opry induction will take place on February 11 and Gary Mule Deer will be inducted on March 10.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could be wrong, but did I see that Vince is back next Saturday as well Byron? So 3 in a row.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa Marie Presley, RIP.
    I just wanted to acknowledge the sad passing of Lisa Marie Presley. Country music was part of Elvis, and his influence upon country music's people is limitless. I found the passing of Lisa Marie to be so sad and I extend my condolences to her family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow ! A whole Opry weekend with NO screeching female singers ! Now if the airwaves will just co-operate !! Clear channel 650 doesn't BOOM into Michigan anymore in the Wintertime like it used to 20 years ago. I wonder why ?????? Dashmann, Flushing, Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  7. GREAT Friday Night Opry ... all Opry stars!!!

    Outstanding Saturday Night Grand Ole Opry!!!

    First, what's not to love about Sawyer Brown! One of the best band's around and as always they were just terrific ... Some Girls Do!

    The guitar pull with Charlie Worsham, Don Schlitz and Vince Gill was outstanding!! In my opinion, Charlie Worsham is the perfect candidate for Opry membership at some point.

    Tattoo Re-do ... had a ton of words to it, but was HILARIOUS!!! Don Schlitz makes me laugh, he is so darned funny and so engaging! But as the audience was singing back to HIM, the words he wrote "When You Say Nothing At All" had to get to him.

    They all had three songs to sing with Vince ending the evening with Go Rest High bringing Chapel Hart to the stage, they all did a great job on that song ... so many entertainers, singers, musicians that have passed in the last couple of weeks ... Lisa Marie Presley is with her beloved father and son once again. Oftentimes living a privileged life, with all the things a lot of money can buy, to being the sole heir to one's fathers' entire estate, to owning all sorts of one's mothers jewels, along with horse drawn carriages and castles does not equal happiness.

    I really do like and will keep the life I have.

    (Jeanene)

    ReplyDelete
  8. As Bill Anderson says in "Still Believing in Christmas", call me politically incorrect, but I'm going to try to kill two birds with on stone...or post...here.

    Let me get the good words out of the way first about this weekend. This was a good weekend at the Opry having all members on last night and a nice ending tonight.

    I do have a negative thought about one thing that happened tonight. I guess it's more of a personality thing than an evert. But I ask this question. If you have written a really good song, why do you have to talk about it longer than it takes to sing it? I get telling what inspired you, such as a particular person or event in your life. But the song should to tell the story. For example, when whisper does Old Army Hat he tells you who co-wrote it with him, it's a true story about Mr. Ed Haley and that he is still alive in east Tennessee then says 'here's a story about a solder and an old army hat". The song tells you the story.

    I guess it is really a nice thing that they are pulling artist aside as they leave the stage, especially the debut artist, and talking with them. But I seem to recall late in the Fisher era they ask that the artist not talk so much and not announce their road dates and it affected the older artist the most. It may be a good thing they are doing now but I will forever be bothered by the way some of our loya veterans were treated in their last years. I remember and am thankful for some good thing Fisher did like helping Jean when she was sick and Jim Ed's anniversary but they do not out weigh the negative things that took place.

    The second bird is to try and answer a question E.Z. asked here while back and I never got around to answering. I don't recall all the artist he asked about.

    I think I mentioned Brad Paisley in a post and maybe gave the impression I don't care for him. I had just listened to some shows including him being asked and then joining the Opry. Two of the songs he did was He Didn't Have To Be and We Danced. I think those are great songs and he had others. I lost interest in his releases when so many seemed to have the same sound and theme and it seemed he was doing less mature songs and themes as he got older. I'm also disappointed that he doesn't do the Opry more. From what I can tell, he and his wife have big hearts and give back to the community a lot and that is wonderful.

    I think Vince might have been another in question. I have a lot of respect for Vince and would really like to see him perform and meet him. I'm really not into the Eagles however some of the things they did were far more country than anything on country radio today. Vince is one of those people who is into all kinds of music and I respect that. He has always been most respectful to the Opry and all those veterans that so many of us like here and I think he truly loved people like like Little Jim, Jean, Connie and so many others. I'm happy any time he is there.

    I'll finish up in the next post.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think E.Z. also asked about Ronnie Milsap, Chris Young and Mark Wills.

    I like Ronnie Milsap. He is a great singer and has had some really great songs. It should be obvious by now that I would be less interested in some of his more pop or even light rock songs. For instance, Stranger In My House really isn't a bad song but the arrangement is far from my taste. And like Vince, I think he likes a lot of different kinds of music. I bought a 51 West LP of his recently that had old recordings that may have been some of his earliest stuff. I didn't keep it it because it just wasn't country to me. I remember Eddie interviewing him multiple times and he really loves country music maybe the best. So Milsap is good stuff in my book but I'm going to take CD's or tapes of Acuff, Snow, Carl Smith, E.T. and others to listen to on a long drive instead of Ronnie. Just my taste.

    Mark Wills has made an impressive member and he gets the Opry and loves or loved the veterans too. I've enjoyed most of his music I know about but again, he's not on my go to list of things I purposefully sit and listen too. I'm always happy to see him on the lineup.

    Someone not mentioned was T. Graham Brown. When he first started having hits O thought he was okay but again not a go to artist when I put in a tape. However, I have learned to like him a lot and I sure wish they would make him a member. He gets it too.

    As for Chris Young, I haven't really paid that much attention to him but I can't come up with any negative thoughts so I guess he has not been doing anything on the Opry that really bothers me.

    I'm set in my ways and there is a lot of music that is played on the Opry these days that I can tolerated but just isn't my cup of tea. I'll always turn to the sound of Joe Edwards on Fiddle, Weldon Myrick on steel and Leon, Jimmy and Spider on guitars. Better yet, Tommy Jackson, Buddy Spicher, or Dale Potter on fiddle, Buddy Emmons, Jimmy Day, Lloyd Greene, Jerry Byrd, Kayton Roberts on Steel, Pete Wade, Billy Byrd, Leon Rhodes, Chet, Capps, on lead guitar, Oswald,, Shot Jackson and Josh Graves on dobro and Onie Wheeler on harmonica. I'm leaving out a bunch of good folks out but you get the idea. These folks made the music sound the way I like it.

    So, my negative remarks sometime reflects my taste and is not necessarily disrespect for the new sound. Yet, there are some things I just can't accept as part of the Opry such as the old Rockers that are showing up, screeching female singers, flat male singers, loud rock sounding guitars and the occasional guest who slyly makes fun of country music. I also do not like fake respect or lip service to those who have gone before. It always bothers me to here an newbie say it's great to stand where Johnny, Dolly, Merle and Willie have stood so many times. Yes, they have all been there but they are not the core of what made the Opry famous. That's just name dropping of the most well known names to try and fit in.

    Thanks for asking E.Z. Tells me something good about you that you care what us older folks think. Glad you read and post here.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  10. For those who listened, or did not, I thought both Opry shows this past weekend were excellent.

    It was wonderful on Friday night to listen to an Opry show with only Opry members, and there was some good variety in the lineup. There was classic country (Connie Smith and John Conlee); 90s-2000s country (Mark Wills and Terri Clark); cowboy music (Riders In The Sky); bluegrass (Ricky Skaggs); and today's country (Carly Pearce).

    Saturday night was a little different, as during the 2nd half of the show, Charlie Worsham, Don Schlitz and Vince Gill were all on stage together and did a songwriter's session. It was excellent as the three of them sang and told stories. Chapel Hart made a surprise appearance at the end and joined in the final number, "Go Rest High," along with Mark Wills.

    Overall, a great weekend at the Opry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chapel Hart will help the 'Opry attract a broader audience, while keeping the music country. In my mind, they're just what the 'Opry needs. So glad Vince saw fit to use them.

      Delete
  11. As I have often mentioned in my posts that our last trip to Nashville and the Grand Ole Opry was the 90th Anniversary in 2015. We became disillusioned with those weekend shows and decided to focus on individual concerts of our favorites and music we really appreciate. More entertainment for the $$$. We sometimes think about trying Nashville again but with all the changes to the setup and costs at the Opry we know we would only compare it to the wonderful shows and visits we previously made and it would be a big disappointment. Friends who have never been to Nashville and the Opry asked us for suggestions for their upcoming trip in February. We gave them good advice and they will probably do fine (because they have nothing to compare it to). Sadly, when they were looking for seats (and there were many available for their dates), they opted to look only at the balcony because of the cost. We remember sitting in the front row for less than those tickets. (from Anonymous in PA)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have just watched a video by Chapel Hart. Sometimes I am probably too critical. However, I am impressed with Chapel Hart. I like their energy. You could actually hear a steel guitar! I hope they will be invited to return to the Opry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. One more thing - it would be great if this was the year Mo Pitney was invited to be a member of the Opry! I know he has not had a big hit, but is there another reason he has not received an invitation to be a member of the Opry.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love to see that full list of 233 artists! There are a few names I am intrested in to see if the Opry considered them actual members; namely, Hank Thompson, Slim Whitman, Lazy Jim Day and Chet Atkins. It is my understanding that Lazy Jim Day is not documented, but his family however claims to have documention. His headstone even says "Star of the Grand Ole Opry". If he wasn't a member he appeared many, many times and was on many Opry sponsored show packages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To answer David's question, Hank Thompson, Slim Whitman, Chet Atkins are all listed on the membership wall backstage at the Opry House. Lazy Jim Day is not.

      Delete