Monday, March 13, 2023

Tuesday Night Opry 3/14; Wednesday Night Opry 3/15; Opry Country Classics 3/16

Last week, there was no Tuesday Night Opry and the Wednesday night Opry was cancelled. Opry Country Classics did take place and it was a wonderful show. This week, in addition to Opry Country Classics, the Tuesday and Wednesday night shows are back on the schedule. 

Tuesday March 14
7:00: Dailey & Vincent, Chase Matthews, Riders In The Sky, Chapel Hart
Intermission
8:15: Joshua Ray Walker, Crystal Gayle, The Mavericks

Always a treat to see that The Mavericks are on the Opry schedule. Also, a return appearance by Chapel Hart. As far as Opry members are concerned, nice to see Crystal Gayle back on the schedule, along with an additional appearance this Friday night. 

Chase Matthews will be making his Opry debut. His debut album, Born For This was released earlier this year. His current single is "She Loves Jesus."

Wednesday March 15
7:00: Jeannie Seely, Randall King, Julia Coke, Sister Sadie
Intermission
8:15: Blanco Brown, Kassi Aston, Brandley Gilbert

Overall, I don't think Wednesday is the strongest show this week. Jeannie Seely is the only Opry member on the schedule, while Kassi Aston will be making her Opry debut. She records for UMG Nashville and her current release is "California, Missouri," which is also where she is from. She is a favorite of our friend Bobby Bones. 

Opry Country Classics Thursday March 16
Host: Larry Gatlin
Spotlight Artist: Oak Ridge Boys
Also Appearing: The Gatlin Brothers, Elizabeth Cook, Dailey & Vincent, Shane Hennessy

It has been said, and I do believe it, that Elizabeth Cook has guested on the Opry more than any other non-member. I enjoy her and it is nice to see her back at the Opry, even if it is for the classics show. Shane Hennessey, who will be making his Opry debut, is an Irish guitarist/songwriter who has been highly praised by Tommy Emmanuel. 

A little light on Opry members this week. 





10 comments:

  1. Soapbox time, or maybe a bit of musing.

    Faron Young once said that he figured out he was sacrificing 26 Saturday nights where he could make thousands of dollars to do the Opry for pennies, and it didn't make sense. Now, I think several of the people who left or were fired by the Opry regretted it later or had reason to. Still, Faron made a good point.

    So here are weeknight shows where it would seem highly unlikely that all of the members are on tour. I think it would be nice to encourage them to take advantage of the opportunity to show up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very disheartening to see only 7 Opry members appear over 3 separate shows. I remember the good ole days when we sometimes had that many members appear in a single 30 minute portion. I guess having too many on a show cuts into the bottom line and makes the stockholders unhappy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Disheartening is an understatement. I will not plan a Nashville vacation and buy tickets months before I go. I will wait until I can see the full lineup, THEN decide if I want to buy tickets.
    Plenty of real country music available on Lower Broadway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to honestly say I’ve enjoyed my visits to the Station Inn, Nashville Palace, etc more than my visits to the Opry for at least the last 15 years, especially when considering what a ticket now costs. Not saying anything against Opry Dan, I think he’s doing the very best he can with what he has to work with. But paying that much for tickets to see less acts in an entire show than what we used to see in a single 30 minute portion, with many of those acts being people I’ve never heard of, is just not worth the time and money in my opinion. The last time I paid for tickets there was only one Opry member on the lineup. And the Opry member that was there was a newer, less-traditional act that I wasn’t too excited about. Never thought I’d say it, but doubtful I will ever have the desire to go back. But I’m not part of the audience they’re trying to cater towards nowadays anyhow. Time has a way of changing everything, guess we just have to learn to adapt and get used to it. But I sure struggle with it sometimes, lol.

      Delete
    2. Completely agree with your commentary

      Delete
  4. As always, The Mavericks were outstanding! I was very happy the Opry gave them four songs to perform. The Opry House was flooded with sound with a great voice fronting the band. I have a ticket to see them in a couple of months and I looking forward to seeing and hearing them once again. They are so, so good.

    Enjoy the rest of your week and the Opry shows everyone.

    (Jeanene)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly I'm not a fan of all the weeknight shows I love the Opry and I listen to every show but 5 nights a week is just too much I'd love to see it go back to just Fridays and Saturdays with the occasional Country Classics show maybe once or twice a month

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weekday Opry shows , I believe were started for the conventions that come to Nashville, since most are held during the week.

      Delete
    2. Seems the show is now geared toward people who just happen to be in town for something else, looking for something to do to fill their evening. It would be interesting to know what percentage of those buying tickets came to town primarily to see the Opry. At one time it was most likely the majority, especially in the old Ryman days, but I doubt that is the case any longer.

      Delete
    3. there used to be many bus groups for the Friday and Saturday shows - I imagine those have lessoned first with the pandemic situation and now with the cost of the tickets

      Delete