Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Grand Ole Opry 11/10 & 11/11

Sharing some news that came out yesterday. From a personal standpoint, I'm not surprised: 

Ryman Hospitality Properties plans to "wind down" its joint venture ownership in country lifestyle television network Circle. The decision was noted in yesterday's (11/6) third quarter financial report. "In September 2023, we determined to pivot from television network ownership in favor of a distribution approach," the report says. "Therefore, we and our joint venture partner agreed to wind down the Circle joint venture, with operations expected to cease December 31, 2023." Launched in early 2020 in partnership with Gray Television (CAT 10/17/19), Circle's programming includes a broadcast of the Coffee, Country & Cody morning show from Ryman Hospitality's WSM-AM/Nashville, and a weekly broadcast of the Grand Ole Opry, hosted by Bobby Bones.

A Ryman Hospitality spokesperson tells Country Aircheck, "The Circle brand isn’t going away. The linear TV network will wind down at the end of the year along with the joint venture. Programming like Opry Live and Coffee, Country & Cody will continue to be produced and made available digitally on FAST, streaming and other digital distribution platforms. We also expect Opry Live to air on network television, just not on a dedicated Circle network. Opry Live will also air on Sky Arts in the UK."

The line that I find interesting is the expectation that Opry Live will air on network television. I would think it would attract a larger audience on a network versus what they were drawing on Circle TV, which in some markets was either not available, or hard to find. 


Now moving ahead to this weekend, and while there is no Reba on the schedule, the Grand Ole Opry does offer up a couple of nice shows this weekend highlighted on Saturday night with an appearance by the Oak Ridge Boys. It was reported that while the Oak Ridge Boys will be retiring from the road in 2024, the group still intends on making Opry appearances. In addition to be Oak Ridge Boys, Opry members Bill Anderson and John Conlee are also on the schedule. 

While those members will be appearing on Friday night, Saturday night's show lists Opry members Connie Smith, Jeannie Seely, Charlie McCoy and Henry Cho on the schedule. 

Non-members on Friday night include Wyatt Ellis, Sierra Ferrell, Sierra Hull and Wood Box Heroes. 

Wendy Moten and Tigirlily Gold return to the Opry on Saturday night, along with Wild Blue Country, who will be making a special Veteran's Day appearance, and The Slocan Ramblers, who will be making their Opry debut.

As recent recipients of the Canadian Folk Music Awards’ Ensemble of the Year (2023) and the International Bluegrass Music Association’s Momentum Band of the Year Award (2020), The Slocan Ramblers continue to gain traction in the North American bluegrass music scene and beyond. The group also just wrapped a summer-long tour that included iconic festivals including ROMP, Red Wing Music Festival, and a sold-out show at Nashville’s historic Station Inn.

“Being a kid who started playing the banjo at the age of ten, playing on the Opry was something I literally daydreamed about,” said Frank Evans, Slocan’s banjo player and vocalist. “My dad had a record of all the Opry stars we used to listen to growing up that came with a square piece of the original curtain. I remember thinking that was the coolest thing. It’s hard to put into words the honor I feel being able to perform on that stage.”

Friday November 10
7:00: Jeannie Seely, Sierra Hull, Wood Box Heroes, Connie Smith
Intermission
8:15: Wyatt Ellis, Henry Cho, Sierra Ferrell, Charlie McCoy

Saturday November 11
7:00: Opry Square Dancers, Bill Anderson, The Slocan Ramblers, Wild Blue Country, John Conlee
Intermission
8:15: Tigirlily Gold, Wendy Moten, Oak Ridge Boys


Now from 45 years ago, Saturday November 11, 1978: 

1st show
6:30: Mrs. Grissoms
Charlie Walker (host): Milk Cow Blues
Wilma Lee Cooper: Bury Me Beneath The Willow
Charlie Walker: I Love You Because/Stay A Little Longer

6:45: Rudy's
Stonewall Jackson (host): My Favorite Sin
Lonzo and Oscar: Charming Betsy
Vil Willis and Curtis Young: Shenandoah
Stonewall Jackson: Angry Words

7:00: Shoney's
Porter Wagoner (host): Ol' Slewfoot
Skeeter Davis: Only Mama That'll Walk The Line/He Will Be There
Jim and Jesse: My Time Is Running Out
Ray Pillow: She's Doing It To Me Again
Charlie Louvin: Without Love, A Fancy Place To Cry
Linda Carol Moore: Lover's Don't Always Fall In Love
Porter Wagoner: Cold Hard Facts of Life/Carroll County Accident/Green, Green Grass of Home/Big Wind's A'Comin'

7:30: Standard Candy
Roy Acuff (host): Wabash Cannon Ball/Tennessee Central No. 9/Sunshine Special
Billy Grammer: Detroit City/Faded Love
Ernie Ashworth: There's No Place I'd Rather Be Tonight
Crook Brothers and The Stoney Mountain Cloggers: Lafayette
Roy Acuff: Cabin In Gloryland

8:00: Martha White
Lester Flatt and The Nashville Grass: Orange Blossom Special
Grandpa Jones: Dooley
Grandpa and Ramona Jones: Fair & Tender Ladies
Justin Tubb: What's Wrong with The Way That We're Doing It Now
Marion Worth: New Lips
Stu Phillips: There Must Be Another Way To Say Goodbye
Charlie Nixon: The Old Spinning Wheel

8:30: Stephens
Hank Snow (host): I'm Moving On
Jack Greene: Walking On New Grass/Lord, I Need Somebody Bad Tonight
Jeannie Seely: Don't Touch Me
Bill Carlisle: Knothole
Fruit Jar Drinkers: Hollow Poplar
Hank Snow: My Life with You

2nd show
9:30: Kellogg's
Porter Wagoner (host): I'm Gonna Feed You Now
Charlie Walker: Pick Me Up On Your Way Down
Stonewall Jackson: My Favorite Sin
Wilma Lee Cooper: Where Is American Going
Charlie Louvin: When I Was Your Man
Linda Carol Moore: Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain
Porter Wagoner: Ol' Slewfoot/On A Highway Headed South

10:00: Fender
Ray Pillow (host): Excuse Me
Skeeter Davis: I'll Fly Away
Vic Willis and Curtis Young: Shenandoah
Ray Pillow: Another Day; Another Dollar

10:15: Union 76
Roy Acuff (host): Ball Knob, Arkansas
Jim and Jesse: Paradise
Billy Grammer: The Waltz You Saved For Me
Brother Oswald: Mountain Dew
Roy Acuff: Glory Bound Train

10:30: Trailblazer
Lester Flatt and The Nashville Grass: Have You Come To Say Goodbye
Justin Tubb: What's Wrong with The Way That We're Doing It Now
Ernie Ashworth: Talk Back Trembling Lips
Blake Williams: Sunset Express

10:45: Beechnut
Grandpa Jones (host) and Ramona Jones: I Don't Love Nobody
Stu Phillips: It's A Heartache
Crook Brothers and The Stoney Mountain Cloggers: Mississippi Sawyer
Grandpa Jones: What'll I Do with The Baby O

11:00: Coca Cola
Hank Snow (host): Ramblin' Rose
Bill Carlisle: Same Old Tale That The Crow Told Me/I Was On My Way To The Show
Fruit Jar Drinkers: Cacklin Hen
Marion Worth: New Lips
Kirk McGee: Blue Night
Hank Snow: Little Buddy

11:30: Acme
Jack Greene (host) and Jeannie Seely: Rollin' In My Sweet Baby's Arms
Jack Greene and Jeannie Seely: Sing For The Good Times
Jeannie Seely: Who Needs You
Johnny Paycheck: (?)? Slide Off of Your Satin Sheets/She's My Friend; Woman; Wife/Take This Job & Shove It
Jack Greene: There Goes My Everything

(The 4 Guys were scheduled for both shows and cancelled, while Lonzo and Oscar only appeared on the first show). 

There you have it for this week. As always, thanks for reading and commenting and I hope everyone enjoys the Grand Ole Opry this weekend. 










16 comments:

  1. The statement by Ryman Entertainment makes almost no sense to me. Network television for the 'Opry? Yeah, right. :)
    But I must admit, Circle had certainly lost its way. I rather suspect Ryman can put together something better than what Circle had to offer. How many times can a person watch old Westerns or Clint Black interviewing the same person 100 times?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nat - Network can cover a lot of options, not just the Big 4 (ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC). It could be a cable network such as GAC, CMT, or any of the dozens of other cable networks.
    Of course with the NBC partnership (and long ago history via its radio network), if it was an over-the-air network, it would make sense that it would be them. Byron's comment about the limited reach of Circle TV can certainly broaden the scope of who can see the Opry. With the limited offerings (and frankly mismanagement of Circle considering the huge amount of content available in the Opry archives (including other shows such as Hee Haw - granted in non HD format), they seriously neglected what Circle could have been. It's just a shame they have to take such a huge write-off (again) for a concept that was mismanaged (Opry City Stage in Times Square was another at $14 Million).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thought I would share the original press release:

    NASHVILLE, Tenn., October 17, 2019 – Opry Entertainment Group, a subsidiary of Ryman
    Hospitality Properties, Inc. (NYSE: RHP), and Gray Television, Inc. (NYSE:GTN) today
    announced their forthcoming media network dedicated to the country music lifestyle experience
    will be called Circle®.

    Circle is a 360-degree media platform that will bring viewers into country music’s inner circle. The name is also a nod to the iconic wooden circle on the Grand Ole Opry stage where countless
    country music superstars have performed.

    Circle will feature original programming centered around artists and their music; hobbies; outdoor and offstage adventures; food; family; and friends. Circle will also offer entertainment news, documentaries and movies along with licensed programming and archival content. The lineup includes the return of a weekly broadcast of the
    Grand Ole Opry, the show that made country music famous.

    Drew Reifenberger, general manager of Circle Media said, “Circle is all about fun, discovery and accessibility for country music fans. Circle will align fans and artists by creating intimate experiences and camaraderie of a close-knit circle of friends.”

    Scott Bailey, president of Opry Entertainment Group said, “As country music’s fan base continues to expand, our goal as a company is to provide differentiated entertainment experiences that celebrate the country lifestyle and enrich the artist-fan connection that is the
    backbone of country music.

    Circle Media is a key piece of that strategy that will create a window
    into all of the best moments that happen in Nashville and throughout the South so fans can connect with up-and-coming artists and the superstars they love from anywhere they are.”

    The linear 24/7 network will begin in early 2020 with TV stations owned by Gray TV. More distribution partners will be announced in the coming months. Circle plans to launch a companion OTT (over-the-top) premium entertainment service in late spring 2020.

    Pat LaPlatney, president and co-chief executive officer of Gray, said, “Circle will be an opportunity for us to provide our local communities with original, compelling content. We love the idea of serving an underserved audience, and expect to see Circle grow very quickly.”

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to Patrick and Byron for their informative posts above.
    My initial post was pretty much a shoot from the hip quick reaction, although I don't take any of it back. :)
    I have just been so greatly disappointed with Circle when compared with what I had envisioned for them at their inception. Byron's post shows clearly how far they drifted away from that original vision.
    The last straw in the drift towards mediocrity for me was when they cut Coffee, Country & Cody from four hours to two. And then replaced them with Clint Black endlessly interviewing the same guys from way back when. Well, that and Longmire, Major Dad, Duck Dynasty etc., ad infinitum.
    Patrick's post gives me some hope that Ryman Hospitality Properties will (hopefully) understand what the 'Opry and country music have to offer. And I agree they have a tremendous vault to draw from.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Opry Live on Circle TV will actually be live on Saturday night with Tigirlily Gold, Wendy Moten and the Oak Ridge Boys. I am going to assume that since it is Veteran's Day, it will be some type of tribute show dedicated to our Veterans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is the Opry Facebook page that my brother looks at once in a while. He says he need to quit so he won't respond to anyone. He gets frustrated too.

    He said that the question, from the Opry I guess, was asked if you could write to an Opry member who would it be. Someone posted that they took a backstage tour and when the guide explained the Post Office they said that members don't check their mail very often. Obviously that is true for those who can't find the big house but those who are there often I don't believe that is true. One said they would like to write to Reba. Now the "not very often" comment by the guide certainly fits there. So, are they saying that to not get ones expectations up if they write, or just bad info they are giving out?

    They also asked the question, "Fill in the blank, who is on your bucket list to see at the Opry?" One answer was the Eagles. The Opry has transitioned to an all music show and not a country show and it was by design.

    And while I'm at it, I wonder what Mr. Monroe thinks of what passes for Bluegrass these days.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, Back in the late 90s & early 2000s ,when I was a teenager. I wrote to all the great Opry legends. I would always get replies from Bill Anderson, Jeannie Seely, Jan Howard, Wilma Lee Cooper, and Johnny Russell. On occasion I would get replies back from Jimmy Dickens & Bill Carlisle. The others never responded. It never bothered me that the others didn’t, but it was always nice ,to get a letter or card in the mailbox from the Opry stars. Curry

      Delete
    2. I was watching a Nashville Now tribute to Ernest Tubb and Minnie Pearl said one of the things she admired the most about ET was the way he treated the fans. I wrote Minnie twice and got back personal
      notes and signed postcards that I treasure. Also got a personalized photo from Hank Snow - but I regret I didn’t ask to meet him when I was at the Opry bc I saw many years later that he often made arrangements to meet fans. Also heard back from Skeeter Davis, Don Gibson, Tom T Hall and was sitting at my desk one day when the phone rang and it was Hank Locklin calling in response to my letter and he spent 10 minutes visiting with me. That was in the late 80s and early 90s - good times when country music was much more down
      home. (Oldtimeopry)

      Delete
    3. Jim, I wonder, too, what Mr. Monroe might say. Remember that the Osborne Brothers got flak for an electric bass and a drummer. Yet Mr. Monroe also embraced the Kentucky Headhunters when they did "Walk Softly on This Heart of Mine," and in appearance they weren't exactly ready to be Bluegrass Boys.

      Old Time Opry, we were friendly with Jimmy C. Newman, who was a lovely man. I never wrote to any of them and probably should have. But what Minnie Pearl said was true of ET and a lot of others. Hank Snow could be a difficult person in some ways--I think a product of his horrible childhood--but for the fans, these people would do just about anything they could. They knew who put taters on their plates, and appreciated them. I suspect today one of the differences involves security concerns and all those things we wish weren't happening.

      But then I remember Grant Turner saying of one star who did a guest appearance that whoever it was--he didn't say--they pulled their bus up beside the Opry House, came in when it was time to perform, went back out, and left. That is not what the Opry is supposed to be.

      Delete
  7. Everything changes and I'm one who is getting older and doesn't adjust so well as some others. And I've never been one to change my taste, likes or opinions because I'm told "it's just the way it is today". Some things in a free civil society should be constant from generation to generation. What is acceptable as family entertainment and young kids is just an example. I won't elaborate.

    Obviously I am far removed from what the backstage guide said to the group this person was in but a more complete and appropriate answer might have been that most artist have a website or Facebook page and if you want to contact them you might try that instead of making it sound like none of the Opry members care enough to check their mail.

    I won't go into the details because long time readers here have heard my stories but I agree that for me the 80's and 90's were a special time for me to be a Opry fan. Not all my letters were returned but I did get several along with a couple of phone calls. Bill and Jan and more recently, Jeannie Seely, have been the best at that. Sometimes I wonder how they put up with us but I think many of that generation genuinely enjoy visiting with and getting to know their fans. Sometimes even the spouses get in on it! Jeannie's husband Gene has a passing interest in trains and while he was general counsel for the Tennessee Public Service Commission he dealt with the merger consequences the creation of the Illinois Central Gulf Railroad which was the merger of the Illinois Central and Gulf, Mobile & Ohio. When they move the steam engine from Centennial Park 3-4 years ago he mailed me the section of the Tennessean Newspaper that contained an article and photos. He's always happy to get my train Christmas card I paint every year. By the way, looks like maybe two more years and it will be running between Nashville and Lebonon!

    Thinking about it, I feel bad sometimes that I get so worked up about how the Opry has changed but we are discussing right here much of the reason I do. I've always cared about the good and the bad people and events that came before me. To me you have to care and know or you loose your way. It's not just about your generation, you are standing on the shoulders of those who went before. We need to recognize and honor the good they did and try to improve or right other things they may have done. So, I just get frustrated when I see all the people that can walk on the Opry stage and talk about the circle of wood like they grew up longing to be there when I feel sure for some, if they want to be there, it is just a bucket list item so they can say they did.

    As I've said before, I feel blessed to have become active in going to the Opry and road shows when I did in the late 80's and therefore had the chance to meet so many of these people. I guess if I had a regret it would be that dad was there to come along and meet all the people he grew up listening to. He passed in 1987.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, I think you speak for a lot of us.

      I began learning about the Opry as a teenager growing up in Las Vegas. My mother grew up in New Jersey and could hear it. When it came on TNN, it was a big moment for us. But what happened is like something my mother said. She grew up in a little town she loved, and I asked if she wanted to visit it again. She said, no, she wanted to remember it as it was.

      I'm ashamed in some ways to say I've never been to the Opry. If I'm in the neighborhood, I think I should go for the experience. But I don't really want to be at the Opry NOW. Some of the reasons were avoidable--eliminating the segments and the commercials, for example. Some of the reasons are not: the people I most wanted to see are not there, and have not been for a while. I am content to listen when I can and watch the shows when I can.

      I also think of when WSM ousted Jim Denny and Dee Kilpatrick took over, and said the problem was the age of the audience. He added the Everly Brothers and the Kershaws, eliminated two of the old string bands, and got flak. But he also added the Coopers and Porter and other really country acts. The Opry always has been changing, and it's up to us to make sure they know the limits of change.

      Delete
  8. I guess if I had a regret it would be that dad "wasn't" there to come along and meet all the people he grew up listening to. He passed in 1987.

    Seems like I always have a typo or error of some kind!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm hopeful that some of the content that was owned by Circle finds its way back to RFD-TV. I was wondering why the Dailey & Vincent show was back there. Now I know.

    I always love hearing about the interactions you folks have had with the stars. If there was the ability to "like" posts here, I'd do it constantly.

    J in OK

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to see The Oak Ridge Boys on TV tonight. Joe looks frail. I'm used to him bouncing around the stage. William Lee was the most active on stage at 84. They are still amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. William Lee is the oldest. I’ve heard the other Oaks say,” he’s the oldest, but in better shape than they are.” When I seen them last year Joe was sick and they had Rudy Gatlin filling in.

      I think William Lee will continue doing shows with his sons & grandkids. If they come to your area, I highly recommend it. The Golden family is very talented. Curry

      Delete
  11. We just saw The Oak Ridge Boys in Branson and they still sound great; Joe had to be helped to the stage and it took 2 people to take him off the stage. He remained on a stool for the entire show; enthusiasm is more subdued. William Lee did move across the stage more; Duane was in good form. Richard was his usual self. One part of the show they all sit on stools for their "Front Porch Singing" and each gives a talk about their background; great segment Sad to know this is the end of their wonderful run but it is definitely time. (from Anonymous in PA)

    ReplyDelete