Sunday, March 10, 2024

Mid-Week Opry Shows

It is going to be a very busy week at the Grand Ole Opry House as on the schedule is the Tuesday Night Opry, a special Wednesday night Opry that will celebrate Trisha Yearwood's 25th anniversary as a member of the Grand Ole Opry, and finally, Opry Country Classics on Thursday night. 

The Tuesday Night Opry will feature Opry members Darius Rucker, Lorrie Morgan, and Hall of Fame members Bill Anderson and Don Schlitz. Also on the schedule is Shane Profitt, Big Daddy Weave, Angelah Johnson-Ryes and making his Opry debut Dax. For those not familiar with Dax, his given name is Daniel Nwosu, Jr., and he is a Canadian rapper, singer and songwriter. 

Tuesday March 12
7:00: Lorrie Morgan, Shane Profitt, Don Schlitz, Big Daddy Weave
Intermission
8:15: Bill Anderson, Dax, Angelah Johnson-Reyes, Darius Rucker

Wednesday night is all about Trisha Yearwood and she has invited some special friends to be a part of her big night. It's a pretty limited list of artists and no word on if Garth will make an appearance or not. 

Wednesday March 13
7:00: Trisha Yearwood, Jeannie Seely, Suzy Bogguss, Terri Clark, Pam Tillis

Finally, Opry Country Classics returns on Thursday night with Larry Gatlin once again hosting and Pam Tillis as the Spotlight Artist. 

Thursday March 14
Host: Larry Gatlin
Spotlight Artist: Pam Tillis
Also Appearing: Gatlin Brothers, Mandy Barnett, Chapel Hart, Carlene Carter


I thought it would be interesting to share the running order from 25 years ago, Saturday March 13, 1999, the night Trisha became an official Opry member:

1st show
6:30: GHS Strings
Jimmy C Newman (host): La Cajun Band
Skeeter Davis: I'll Fly Away
Jimmy C Newman: Jambalaya
Bessyl Duhon: Cajun Stripper

6:45: National Corvette Museum
Jim Ed Brown (host): Looking Back To See/Morning/The 3 Bells

7:00: Shoney's/Standard Candy
Porter Wagoner (host): Dooley
Bill Carlisle: I've Waited Too Long
Janie Fricke: Bouncing Back/Don't Worry 'Bout Me Baby
Porter Wagoner: Fireball Mail/Night Train To Memphis/Cabin In Gloryland
Rick Wayne: On The Line
Randy Scruggs: Black Mountain Rag
Steve Wariner: Holes In The Floor of Heaven
Trisha Yearwood: Living On The Wrong Side of Memphis/She's In Love with The Boy/Sweet Dreams

8:00: Martha White
Bill Anderson (host): No Fair Falling In Love
Marty Stuart: Southern Accent
John Prine: Paradise
Jean Shepard: I'll Sail My Ship Alone
Opry Square Dance Band & The Melvin Sloan Dancers: Rachel
Bill Anderson: Still

8:30: Physicians Mutual
Jimmy Dickens (host): Sleeping At The Foot of The Bed
Ricky Skaggs: Little Maggie
The Whites: I Hear The Wind A' Blowing
Vince Gill: Pretty Little Adrianna/When I Call Your Name

2nd show
9:30: Blue Green Resort Development
Porter Wagoner (host): On A Highway Headed South
Jeanne Pruett: Satin Sheets
Jimmy C Newman: Good Deal, Lucille
Trisha Yearwood: A Perfect Love/How Do I Live/She's In Love with The Boy
Porter Wagoner: I'll Fly Away

10:00: Lincoln Mercury
Vince Gill (host): Don't Come Crying To Me
Randy Scruggs: Soldier's Joy
Vince Gill: Whenever You Come Around

10:15: Ray Stevens Show
Jimmy Dickens (host): Take an Old Cold Tater
Mike Snider and Marty Stuart: Rawhide
Jimmy Dickens: Live Turned Her That Way

10:30: Epiphone
Marty Stuart (host): Doin' My Time
John Prine: Grandpa Was A Carpenter
John Prine and Marty Stuart: Angel From Montgomery

10:45: Joggin' In A Jug
Ricky Skaggs (host): I'm Lost, I'll Never Find The Way
Jean Shepard: Tennessee Waltz
Opry Square Dance Band & The Melvin Sloan Dancers: Durang's Hornpipe
Ricky Skaggs: Connemara

11:00: Coca Cola
Bill Anderson (host): Po' Folks
Holly Dunn: Daddy's Hands
John Conlee: Friday Night Blues
Jeannie Seely: Make The World Go Away
Billy Walker: Come A Little Bit Closer
Bill Anderson: The Paper

11:30: Opry Book
Johnny Russell (host): Folsom Prison Blues
Jack Greene: Statue of A Fool
Jeanne Pruett: Temporarily Yours
Del Reeves: Splish, Splash/Answer The Phone/Hound Dog
Stonewall Jackson: A Wound Time Can't Erase
Johnny Russell: Wabash Cannonball

I know it was Trisha's big night, which was televised, but let me add a couple of notes:
>Wilma Lee Cooper was scheduled in the 6:45 segment but could not make it due to snow in Nashville that night. 
>Jeanne Pruett did make two appearances on the late show
>Speaking of the late show, with the exception of Bill Anderson and the second appearance by Jeanne Pruett, all of the artists in that last hour did not appear on the first show. I would say that they did not get relegated to the prime spots. 

Finally, what a terrific lineup that night. Really some awesome artists. 

Again, congratulations to Trisha Yearwood on her 25th Opry anniversary. 














16 comments:

  1. Finally, Rap on the Opry! Nothing will surprise me anymore. I hope the marketing powers at the Opry know what they are doing. On the other hand, I'm starting to question why I care.....but I still do.

    Jim

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, I'm with you from this standpoint: Are there only FOUR Opry members available the evening of TUESDAY, March 12? I don't think so. I love a lot of what Dan Rogers has done, but that is an issue to me.

      As for "rap," well, let's see what he does. I know not everybody welcomed James Brown, and he apparently did go off the rails. But he loved country music and paid tribute to it, as have some other folks.

      Delete
    2. Jim, I’m sure you remember Charlie Walker would sing the old Tex Williams classic “ Smoke, Smoke That Cigarette “. He would always introduce it as the first rap song.
      I’m with you, I just don’t like a lot of these guests they have on. But I haven’t had a problem with the majority of the recent I
      Opry inductees. Curry

      Delete
    3. Curry-I thought about Charlie after I wrote that. I remember all the staff band getting in the act at the end coughing.

      There just seems to be no end to the lengths they will go to add diversity to this world renowned country music show. I can understand trying to correct some wrongs or missteps throughout the Opry's history but I did not think being primarily a country music show was one of the things they needed make up for. I generally think if you are good at something you improve on it not water it down to where is looses it's identity.

      I'd better stop or I'm going to get in trouble!

      Jim

      Delete
    4. The Opry is not losing its identity.

      Delete
  2. The segment I probably would have most enjoyed was the 11:30 one. I guess Pete Fisher was making his feelings known, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 2024 Country Music Hall of Fame Inductees will be announced next Monday, March 18 and hosted by Brooks & Dunn.

    What do you think?.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the most impressive things I heard on the broadcast of the opening of the new Opry is that Porter and Dolly flew all the way across the country from L.A. to be there then turned around and got back on a plane the next morning and flew to Tucson. I know it was a special night but that is dedication. Lessons for some of todays members.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How times have changed. Can’t get dolly to drive across town for the Opry now.

      Delete
    2. I really enjoyed that broadcast. Only 6 members are still with us ;Bill Anderson, Jeannie Seely, Jeanne Pruett, Connie Smith, Stu Phillips, and Dolly Parton. Then Dianne McCall( she was singing with Charlie Louvin) and Sam Wellington of The 4 Guys are still with us. Curry

      Delete
    3. While she was not on the opening show that night, Barbara Mandrell was an Opry member at the time. Bobby Bare technically was an Opry member as he quit the Opry the day of the move. Bobby actually was on the Friday Night Opry the night before at the Ryman.

      Delete
    4. Isn’t Dave “Lonzo” Hooten also still alive?

      Delete
    5. Last I heard he was

      Delete
    6. But I did not think he was with Oscar until later

      Delete
    7. Dave Hooten joined Oscar in 1967, when Oscar’s brother Johnny Sullivan died.

      Delete
  5. Not a member but an important part of the Opry for years, Carol Lee Cooper was with Wilma Lee and Stoney. I know you could get started and not stop listing non members that could have been invited to be there this Saturday but she would be at the top of the list to me along with Bid Wendell. Who knows what is in store this weekend. Did you catch Nixon talking about who I assume was Jeannie Seely and her outfit?

    Jim

    ReplyDelete