Thursday, April 4, 2024

Grand Ole Opry 4/5 & 4/6

Some weekends are better than others at the Grand Ole Opry and this weekend is one of the better ones with two great shows on the schedule. 

Grand Ole Opry members Vince Gill and Old Crow Medicine Show are scheduled for both nights. After just a few appearances last year, it is nice to see Old Crow upping the number in 2025. These will be their 5th and 6th appearances of the year. And it is nice to see Vince taking advantage of a break in The Eagles schedule to come out. 

Joining them on the Friday Night Opry will be members Gene Watson, Riders In The Sky and Don Schlitz. The non-members on the schedule are Tenille Arts, Rob Ickes & Trey Hensley, and making his Opry debut, Landon Parker. 

Saturday night, in addition to Vince and Old Crow, the schedule includes members Ricky Skaggs, Bill Anderson and Jeannie Seely. Steve Earle, who lately has become a frequent guest on the Opry, will be appearing, along with Jimmy Fortune, and the wonderful Charley Crockett. 

Friday April 5
7:00: Riders In The Sky, Landon Parker, Gene Watson, Old Crow Medicine Show
Intermission
8:15: Rob Ickes & Trey Hensley, Don Schlitz, Tenille Arts, Vince Gill 

Saturday April 6
7:00: Opry Square Dancers, Ricky Skaggs, Jeannie Seely, Steve Earle, Old Crow Medicine Show
Intermission
8:15: Jimmy Fortune, Bill Anderson, Opry Square Dancers, Charley Crockett, Vince Gill 

Again, and just my opinion, two very good shows this weekend. 

Landon Parker was surprised by Patrick Thomas with an invitation to play the Grand Ole Opry for the first time during the young singer’s recent appearance on Cumulus Media’s syndicated “PickleJar Up All Night,” which Thomas hosts.

Telling Thomas about a recent backstage tour he’d taken at the Grand Ole Opry House, Parker said: “I watched a video that’s 10-15 minutes long that shows the history of the Grand Ole Opry. At the very end of it, I almost cried. That’s such a dream for me to play on this stage and be associated with the legends that have played it through the years.”

“Well, what are you doing on April 5?” Thomas asked.

Parker, whose recent songs include “Goodbye You” and “Back at the Bar,” captioned an Instagram post sharing the news with a story about his youth. “I started out recording YouTube covers in my bedroom to playin’ countless shows in the bars…and now…I’m making my Grand Ole Opry debut on April 5!!!!” he wrote. “Thank you to God, my wife, my daughter, my family, my friends, my fans, and my team for believing in me every step of the way.”


Now from 50 years ago, Saturday April 6, 1974: 

1st show
6:30: Willis Brothers, Jan Howard, Ernie Ashworth
6:45: Billy Gramer, Wilma Lee & Stoney Cooper, Charlie Walker
7:00: Bill Carlise, Tommy Jones, Joe Douglas, Archie Campbell
7:30: Roy Acuff, Connie Smith, Del Wood, Crook Brothers, Stoney Mountain Cloggers
8:00: Roy Drusky, Grandpa Jones, Jeanne Pruett, Stu Phillips
8:30: Stonewall Jackson, The 4 Guys, Lonzo & Oscar, Fruit Jar Drinkers

2nd show
9:30: Billy Grammer, Willis Brothers, Ernie Ashworth, Del Wood
10:00: Wilma Lee & Stoney Cooper, Bill Carlisle, Lonzo & Oscar
10:15: Roy Acuff, Stonewall Jackson, Jan Howard
10:30: Charlie Walker, Grandpa & Ramona Jones, Byron McGregor
10:45: Archie Campbell, Phil Campbell, Connie Smith, Crook Brothers, Stoney Mountain Cloggers
11:00: Roy Drusky, The 4 Guys, Sam McGee
11:30: Marty Robbins, Jeanne Pruett, Stu Phillips


Finally, going back to April 6, 1957, here is what the Opry running order was on that night, 67 years ago: 

7:30: Nabisco
Roy Acuff: It's Hard To Love
Justin Tubb: Pepper Hot Baby
Oswald: Southern Moon
Roy Acuff:  How Beautiful Heaven Must Be
Howdy Forrester: Forked Deer

7:45: American Ace
Old Hickory Singers: Theme
Faron Young: I'm Gonna Live Some Before I Die
Maybelle Carter: I Never Love But One
Benny Martin: Story Of My Life
Faron Young: Schrine of St. Cecelia
Fiddle Tune: Bill Cheatham

8:00: Martha White
Flatt & Scruggs: Shuck A Little Corn
Porter Wagoner: I Should Be With You
George Jones: Don't Stop The Music
June Carter & Smokey: Comedy
Flatt & Scruggs: Is There Room For Me
Jean Shepard: I'd Rather Die Young
Carlisles: Rough Stuff
Possum Hunters: Fire In The Mountain
Porter Wagoner: I'm Day Dreaming Tonight
Flatt & Scruggs: Down The Road

8:30: Prince Albert
Marty Robbins: Singing The Blues
Ray Price: Crazy Arms
Rod Brasfield: Comedy
Ray Price: I've Got A New Heartache
Fiddle Tune: Sally Goodin
Marty Robbins: Keep Deep In The Blues
Chet Atkins: Back Home In Indiana
Minnie Pearl: Comedy
Ray Price: Crazy Arms
Marty Robbins: Singing The Blues
Hal Cook: Presentation
Ray Price: Crazy Arms
Marty Robbins: Singing The Blues
Fiddle Tune: Soldier's Joy

9:00: Jefferson Island Salt
Old Hickory Singers: Theme
Ernest Tubb: TBA
Johnny & Jack: Oh, Baby Mine
Stringbean: Herro Mr. Banjo
Wilburn Brothers: I'm Setting You Free
Kitty Wells: Searching
Ernest Tubb: Don't Forbid Me
Fruit Jar Drinkers: Bill Cheatham
Johnny & Jack: I Want To Be Loved
Stonewall Jackson: Don't Be Angry
Wilburn Brothers: Go Away With Me
Ernest Tubb: Daisy May

9:30: Stephens
Hank Snow: Calypso Sweetheart
Louvin Brothers: Don't Laugh
Hawkshaw Hawkins: Sunny Side Of The Mountain
Chet Atkins: Limehouse House
Wilma Lee & Stoney: Cheated Too
Hank Snow: Marriage And Divorce
Ladell Sisters: Alabama Jubilee
T. Texas Tyler: Deck Of Cards
Crook Brothers: Eighth Of January
Louvin Brothers: New Partner Waltz
Hank Snow: Put Me In My Trundle Bed

10:00: Wall-Rite
Roy Acuff: I Love Mountain Music
George Jones: Uh Uh No
Maybelle Carter: Gold Watch And Chain
Roy Acuff: I Saw The Light
Fiddle Tune: Money Musk

10:15: Delited
Carlisles: Theme
Ray Price: Wasted Words
Jean Shepard: If You Can Walk Away
Carlisles: Lil Liza Jane
Ray Price: You Done Me Wrong
Fiddle Tune: Grey Eagle

10:30: Hester Battery
Marty Robbins: I Can't Quit
Flatt & Scruggs: What's Good For You Should Be Alright For Me
Justin Tubb: I'm A Big Boy Now
Marty Robbins: Same Two Lips
Fiddle Tune: Old Joe Clark

10:45: De Con
Faron Young: Sweet Dreams
Wilma Lee & Stoney: Loving You
Crook Brothers: Tennessee Wagoner
Faron Young: Until I Met You
Fiddle Tune: Soldier's Joy

11:00: Coca Cola
Old Hickory Singers: Theme
Ernest Tubb: Will You Be Satisfied That Way
Johnny & Jack: A Pleasure Is Not A Habit In Mexico
Wilburn Brothers: Go Away With Me
June Carter & Smokey: Comedy
Ernest Tubb: God's Eyes
Kitty Wells: A Change Of Heart
Stonewall Jackson: Stop Your Naggin Hoss
Stringbean: Pretty Little Pink
Gully Jumper: New Five Cents
Johnny & Jack: All The Time
Ernest Tubb: Kansas City Kitty

11:30: Jamison Mattress
Old Hickory Singers: Theme
Hank Snow: Calypso Min From Juares
Louvin Brothers: You're Running Wild
T. Texas Tyler: Remember Me
Hank Snow: Rumba Boogie

11:45: Sustaining
Fiddle Tune: Back Up And Push
Porter Wagoner: I Guess I'm Crazy
Hawkshaw Hawkins: If It Ain't On The Menu
Sam and Kirk: The Wagon Is New
Benny Martin: Look What You Have Done To Me
Fruit Jar Drinkers: Ida Red
Porter Wagoner: Uncle Pen

I dare anyone to complain about the lineup that night!

It is interesting looking back at these much older shows. For example, Roy Acuff is opening the show. In his later years he was quoted as saying he didn't care what spots he appeared on as long as he wasn't opening or closing the show. Then you have Hank Snow, who by the 70s would be firmly entrenched hosting the 8:30 and 11:00 segments, however on this particular night was in the 9:30 and 11:30 spots. Hank would generally remain in that 9:30 slot on one show nights. Marty Robbins was not in the 11:30 slot as of yet, but Porter Wagoner, who had just become an Opry member in February, was hosting at 11:45. It would appear that as the Opry's newest member at the time, he might have been given the short end of the stick. 

Speaking of Hank Snow, I noticed that T. Texas Tyler was appearing on the Opry on that particular night, both in segments hosted by Hank. T. Texas was famous for his rendition of "Deck of Cards." Sadly, he had some personal problems that greatly affected his career. Hank was a friend and tried to help him out. For those interested in the entire story, in his autobiography, Hank wrote extensively about it. 

There you have it for this week. As always, thanks for reading and commenting and I hope everyone enjoys the Grand Ole Opry this weekend. Take care and stay safe. 








12 comments:

  1. I noticed that, too, about Messrs. Acuff and Snow. I remember that before they split Saturday night into two shows, Hank Snow often would host at 9:30 and 11. As for Porter, not only was he the new guy, but I remember him talking about how he liked to go to bed early and get up early to go fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that Elvis and Rock-N-Roll was hurting Country at that time in the late 50's but I feel like the best Country music was made in those low time between 1955 and 1965. What a line up in 57. Notice Justin was doing songs from his new Decca LP that were, shall we say, leaning a little towards the Rock craze.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, "What's wrong with the way that we're doing it now?" Justin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Test, recent attempts to post have failed

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always been a fan of Old Crow Medicine Show and have been disappointed the past couple of years over their lack of Opry appearances. Happily, they seem back on the right track and last night just confirmed how much they appreciate the Opry, and how much I appreciate them. For those who did not listen, they did their version of "Wabash Cannonball," which they have done before on the Opry, and made sure to mention Roy Acuff. It was fun and rocked a little bit. While not Roy's version, I have a feeling Roy would have enjoyed it. And of course, they did "Wagon Wheel."

    And I will mention Vince Gill and Don Schlitz together on the stage and Vince singing "Go Rest High" dedicated to Norah Lee Allen.

    To me, there really wasn't anything to dislike last night and tonight promises to be even better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree Byron. Well said, as customary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently watched a special about Minnie Pearl on PBS. It was a recent creation from the last couple years or so. It seems that with many of these PBS shows they are more than historical documentaries and often carry an underlying editorial tone. That aside, one comment made in the show was regarding Rod Brasfield. Since I can't do a replay, I can't quote exactly what was said but it made Rod's routine to often be that if a drunk. Anyone here ever see any of Rod's routine to be that of a drink? I'm also surprised that they did not mention how much Rod meant to Minnie and how hard she worked to get in in the HOF.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, I saw the same program on PBS a couple of weeks ago. I do believe it was made in 2023 and at the time, it received a lot of publicity in Nashville. I thought it was well done, no issues at all. I did see the clips of Rod Bradfield's routine and really didn't give it a second thought. I am thinking since the focus of the documentary was on Minnie, that is perhaps why nothing was specifically mentioned about Rod. Sadly, Rod's routine of being drunk, in this case, emulated real life. Unlike Hank, he was able to keep it behind closed doors and not while out performing. Sadly, drinking contributed to Rod's shortened life. Un

      Delete
    2. Thanks Byron. I knew Rod has a problem in real life but I just never saw his routine as that of drunk on stage. I wasn't suggesting they should have talked more about him. I just thought that Minnie's efforts to get him in the HOF is part of her integrity and dedication to others. I sure heard a lot of audio of her speaking out of character that I had never heard before. It was well worth the time watching.

      Jim

      Delete
    3. Rod Brasfield NEVER did jokes about drinking (such as Minnie Pearl did about her Uncle Nabob) or a drunk “routine” (a la Foster Brooks or “Ben Colder”). Not sure where that idea about his comedy style could have come from besides ignorance (or a need for a scapegoat to push an underlying agenda, as you somewhat made reference too also).

      Delete
  8. In case Opry Dan is reading this, I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the Saturday Night Opry. It's been a very long time since I listened to an Opry show from start to finish (used to listen from 6:30 until midnight which got me through some lonely Saturday nights back in the late 80s & early 90s) and this one was a delight. Every act on the show was great - members and recognizable guests who sang country & bluegrass. Cutter & Cash and the Kentucky Grass tore the house down and it was nice to hear Seely semi-hosting her spot by introducing and interacting with them. Understand that the Opry needs radio acts to stay relevant. Dan, please keep up the strategy of inviting veterans who become regulars alongside the so called "country of of today." I appreciate you having independent artists on the Opry but PLEASE PLEASE invite some Americana Artist as members - Charley Crockett and Tyler Childers. There's a lot of great Country Music being made and consumed without radio or major labor record companies. (oldtimeopry)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agree. I also agree there is a lot of good country out there away from the mainstream if you are interested in promoting it. I'm happy the Maplass Brothers are getting some recognition and can't wait to see what their TV show is all about.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete