Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Grand Ole Opry 9/25 & 9/26

On Tuesday night during the Opry 100 Honors Charley Pride show, Opry member Pam Tillis surprised Neal McCoy with an invitation to become a member of the Grand Ole Opry. Many will say that this has been a long time coming and Neal, himself, has made it known several times during his guest appearances on the show that he would like to be an Opry member. Most everyone that I have seen who have posted today are in agreement on Neal joining the Opry. In my opinion, it adds another veteran artist to the cast and hopefully someone we can count on to make appearances. I will admit that I was surprised that the invite took place this week as Rhett Akins and Charlie Worsham are awaiting their inductions. Never in the history of the Opry has there been three members-in waiting. While Rhett's induction will be taking place in a couple of weeks, Charlie's and Neal's have not been scheduled as of yet. Again, congratulations to Neal McCoy upon his soon to be Opry membership. 


Now moving ahead to this weekend, we are one week away from the Grand Ole Opry's 101st Birthday Weekend but before we get to the big celebration, there are a pair of Opry shows on the schedule for this weekend. 

Taking a look at the Friday Night Opry, Opry members Steven Curtis Chapman, Connie Smith and Mark Wills are on the schedule. Also scheduled are The Grascals, who have posted that they will be paying tribute to Dolly Parton, who the group had worked with in the past. Taylor Hicks is also scheduled, as are Drew Parker, Wilson Fairchild and making her Opry debut, Abbie Callahan. 

Looking at Saturday night, Mark Wills is back, making it a two-show weekend for him. Joining Mark are members Steve Earle, John Conlee, Suzy Bogguss and Dailey & Vincent, Guesting are Gareth, Moriah and making their Opry debut, Penelope Road. 

Friday September 25
7:00: Mark Wills, Wilson Fairchild, Abbie Callahan, Steven Curtis Chapman
Intermission
8:20: Drew Parker, Connie Smith, Taylor Hicks, The Grascals

Saturday September 26
7:00: Opry Square Dancers, Dailey & Vincent, Mark Wills, Penelope Road, Suzy Bogguss
Intermission
8:20: John Conlee, MORIAH, Opry Square Dancers, Gareth, Steve Earle

Abbie Callahan, who is debuting on Friday night, is based in Nashville. Her self-described "kaleidoscope country" sound blends Americana, folk, bluegrass, and pop, drawing inspiration from artists ranging from Patsy Cline and Sierra Ferrell to Kacey Musgraves and Sabrina Carpenter. Her latest EP, And For My Next Trick, is set for release on Friday. It follows her debut EP, Grossly Aware, which became a viral breakthrough and earned editorial support across Spotify, Apple Music, and Amazon Music.

Penelope Road is a Georgia‑based soul‑pop quintet known for blending yacht rock‑era pop hooks, funky grooves, and harmonies with a commitment to authentic, live performance The band, led by guitarist/singer Max Moore and bassist James Kopp, formed in 2022 and have built a grassroots following through live shows and viral social media content, including the “Out Tonight” video filmed in their old Atlanta home. They signed with Warner Records in 2025 and released their second EP, The Diamond Street Sessions, the same year


September 26, 1953, was an important date in the history of the Grand Ole Opry as it was on that date that future Opry member Skeeter Davis made her Opry debut. 

Here is the running order from that show that night: 

7:30: Prince Albert
Ray Price: Who Stole That Train
Minnie Pearl: Comedy
Darrell Glenn: Crying In The Chapel
Square Dancers: Katy Hill
Ray Price: In The Garden
Old Hickory Singers: Floating Down To Cotton Town
Rod Brasfield: Comedy
Darrell Glenn: Hang Up That Telephone
String Beans: Uncle Pen
Ray Price: The Wrong Side of Town

8:00: Martha White
Ernest Tubb: When The World Has Turned You Down
Bill Monroe and Jimmy Martin: Cabin of Love
Hank Snow: Golden Rocket
June Carter: Rub A Dub Dub
Possum Hunters: Sleepy Lou
Ernest Tubb: The Long Way
Carter Family: Red River Blues
Bill Monroe: Rocky Road Blues
Hank Snow: Message From The Trade Winds
Ernest Tubb: Daisey May
Fiddle Tune: Old Hen Cackled

8:30: Royal Crown Cola
Webb Pierce: I'm Walking The Dog
Fruit Jar Drinkers: Cotton Eyed Joe
Martha Carson: Cotton Eyed Joe
Lonzo and Oscar: I'm Moving On No. 2
Del Wood: 12th Street Rag
Skeeter Davis: I Forgot More Than You'll Ever Know
Webb Pierce: It's Been So Long
Lonzo and Oscar: Hole In The Bottom of the Sea
Fiddler: Down Yonder

9:00: Martha White
Carl Smith: Hey Joe
Jimmy Dickens: Thick and Thin
Marty Robbins: Sing Me Something Sentimental
Anita Carter: I'm Fading Fast With The Time
Rod Brasfield: Comedy
Crook Brothers: Bile Them Cabbage Down
Carl Smith: Darling Am I The One
Chet Atkins: Dill Pickle Rag
Jimmy Dickens: Side Meat and Cabbage
Fiddle: Arkansas Traveler

9:30: Warren Paint
Johnny and Jack: Private Property
Lew Childre: Hang Out the Front Door Key
Kitty Wells: I Don't Claim To Be An Angel
Johnny and Jack: Don't Say Goodbye If You Love Me
Paul Warren: Turkey In The Straw

9:45: American Ace
Cowboy Copas: Tennessee Senorita
Ray Price: Talk To Your Heart
String Beans: Take Me Back To Tulsa
Cowboy Copas: Feelin' Low
Dale Potter: Cattle Call

10:00: Wallrite
Webb Pierce: That's Me Without You
Bill Monroe: Blue Moon of Kentucky
Martha Carson: I'm Walking and Talking With My Lord
Webb Pierce: Wondering
Don Slayman: Fisher's Horn Pipe

10:15: Dr. Le Gear
Hank Snow: Ladies Man
Annie Lou and Danny: I'd Rather Die Young Than Grow Old Without You
Bill Monroe: Swing Low Sweet Chariot
Hank Snow: A Fool Such As I
Tommy Vaden: Rickette's Hornpipe

10:30: Jefferson Island Salt
Ernest Tubb: I'm With The Crowd But So Alone
Jimmy Dickens: I'll Dance At Your Wedding
Jordanaires: My Rock
Duke of Paducah: Comedy
June Carter: Juke Box Blues
Marty Robbins: Every Precious Memory
Ernest Tubb: Somebody Loves You
Chet Aktins: Sweet Georgia Brown
Jimmy Dickens: Making Love To A Stranger

11:00: O-Cell-O
Ray Price: Don't Let The Stars Get In Your Eyes
Johnny and Jack: South In New Orleans
Paul Warren: Black Mountain Song
Kitty Wells: Hey Joe
Ray Price: Weary Blues

11:15: Hester Battery
Carl Smith: My Trademark
String Beans: John Henry
Gully Jumpers: Old Joe
Carl Smith: This Side of Heaven

11:30: W. E. Stephens
Hank Snow: Music Making Mama
Lew Childre: Put On Your Old Grey Bonnet
Lonzo and Oscar: Pretty Little Indian Maid
Crook Brothers: Fire In The Mountain
Hank Snow: Golden River

11:45: Grand Ole Opry
Cowboy Copas: Gone and Left Me Blues
Sam and Kirk McGee: Riding Old Paint
Fruit Jar Drinkers: Fire In The Mountain
Cowboy Copas: Will You Forget
Dale Potter: Fiddle Sticks


 Skeeter Davis, who was born on December 30, 1931. To say that Skeeter had a difficult life would be an understatement. Her given name was Mary Francis Penick, and she was born and raised in Kentucky. She received the nickname of Skeeter early in her life, from her grandfather. As far as the last name of Davis, that came from her duet partner, Billy Jack Davis, and together they performed as the Davis Sisters. In 1953, they achieved a #1 record, with the hit, "I Forgot More Than You'll Ever Know". It was in August of 1953 that Skeeter and Billy Jack were involved in a serious car accident that took the life of Billy Jack and severely injured Skeeter.

In 1956, Skeeter started to record as a single act, under Chet Atkins at RCA Records. She charted a number of hits over the next several years, culminating in the #1 song, "The End of the World", which would become Skeeter's most famous song. The hits would continue through the rest of the 1960's.

She would join the Grand Ole Opry in August 1959. Her Opry career was not without some controversy. In 1973, she dedicated a song to evangelists who were outside and being harassed by the Nashville police. For that, and other political and religious statements that she made at the Opry, she was suspended from the show in 1974. Over a year later, she was reinstated.

Skeeter at one time was married to Ralph Emery, and in books written by both Skeeter and Ralph, they each gave their side to what was not a very good marriage. I think Ralph got the best line of the two, when in his book, "Memories", he wrote, "I thought about including a chapter here, with a headline reading, 'Things I Enjoyed About My Marriage to Skeeter Davis'. I was going to leave the pages blank. No one would have been hurt by the text, and the idea seemed clever".

Skeeter battled a lot of health issues during the last decade of her life, including breast cancer. She was a survivor and would continue to play the Opry as the cancer spread to her bones. She was famous for wearing colorful, full-length skirts with usually a head band, or cover.

She would remain a member of the Opry until her death on September 19, 2004. As she battled cancer and she became weaker, she was forced to give up her Opry appearances. In 2000, she appeared on the show 63 times, but that would drop in 2001 to just 4. Her last Opry appearances were on Saturday night, February 3, 2001, when she appeared on both of the Saturday night shows.

Skeeter is one of those Opry members that I truly miss. 











5 comments:

  1. Skeeter's partner's name was Betty Jack Davis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge Neal McCoy fan, and I was thrilled to hear he got an invite. I had thought it was a possibility when I saw he was on the lineup for the Charley Pride tribute, but I talked myself out of it when I remembered the two pending inductions. I also convinced myself a female artist would get the next invite after Dolly passed.

    I've hoped the Grascals would get an invite, and it's good to see them back on the schedule. Maybe it'll still happen in the near future.

    J in OK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to Neal. He’s a fan favorite and seems like an all around good guy.

    Regarding Ralph and Skeeter: Skeeter’s book does not paint Ralph in a good light at all. I was very surprised when she agreed to appear on Nashville Now as his guest. As best as I can remember they were both pros and cordial that night.

    Skeeter might have got the ultimate revenge on Ralph one night on the TNN Opry Backstage show. She was being interviewed by Bill Anderson and somehow Ralph came up and she proceeded to tell a nationwide audience that the reason their marriage finally ended was that he got another woman pregnant. The look on Bill’s face was priceless. I think they went to a commercial quickly.

    Regardless of their personal issues, both were very influential contributors to country music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Skeeter appearing, and Ralph looked incredibly uncomfortable. At one point she mentioned her brother and then looked at him and said, "You know my brother." Ralph got a wry grin and said, "Yes, I know your brother."

      Delete
  4. My father was a judge. One of his favorite songs was Skeeter's version of "set him free."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkhHQluCd3E
    VERY true lyrics according to my Dad. He heard that stuff all the time.

    ReplyDelete