Sunday, August 15, 2021

Tuesday Night Opry 8/17

The line-up has been posted for the Tuesday Night Opry and it is an interesting line-up. 

Three Grand Ole Opry members are on the schedule as Jeannie Seely, Rhonda Vincent and Carly Pearce are listed. For Rhonda, it is a continuation of Opry appearances since she joined the cast in February and for Carly, it is her first official visit to the Opry since the night she became a member, just a couple of weeks ago. 

Also listed is Johnny Lee, from the Urban Cowboy phase of country music. Comedian Gary Mule Deer is set to appear as is Christian artist, and frequent Opry guest, Steven Curtis Chapman. I know some have mentioned in the past that Steven Curtis would make a good Opry member and I tend to agree, However with the recent invitation to The Isaacs, I don't know how that will affect any chance that he had to become a member. The final artist for Tuesday is Tiera, who will be making her Opry debut. 

With a sound she describes as ‘R&B country,’ Alabama-native, Tiera, is emerging as one of the newest and most exciting voices in the genre with her rich and soulful vocals. Tiera kicked off the new year with recognition from Spotify’s Hot Country, Teen Vogue, CMT, Sounds Like Nashville, Nashville Lifestyles and Country Now as an Artist to Watch in 2021, proving her momentum from 2020 is only just the beginning.

Tuesday August 21

7:00: Jeannie Seely; Tiera; Johnny Lee; Gary Mule Deer
Intermission
8:15: Steven Curtis Chapman; Rhonda Vincent; Carly Pearce

10 comments:

  1. Hey Guys,

    The 2021 Country Music Hall of Fame inductees have been announced and they are Eddie Bayers and Pete Drake (Recording and/or Touring Musician), Ray Charles (Veterans Era) and The Judds (Modern Era).

    What do you think?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ashamed of myself for not thinking of Ray Charles, Pete Drake, or Eddie Bayers for election before. Drake was a monster when it came to steel, and I'm prepared to argue that Ray Charles did more to spread the gospel of country music than Elvis did.

      As for The Judds ... OK, but I would have gone with Tanya Tucker for the modern era. Much longer career.

      Delete
    2. I can remember a few years back, and I forget how long), but Ray was being talked about in relation to the Hall of Fame, then he kind of fell off the tracks and his name was rarely mentioned. When I heard his name announced, I was surprised. For those who are much younger than myself, please take a listen to Ray's "Modern Sounds of Country Music, Vol 1 & Vol 2." Both of these albums from the early 60s are among the best in the history of country music and helped to introduce country music to another audience.

      That said, there is still a tremendous backlog of candidates for the Country Music Hall of Fame and based on one inductee a year, they will never come close to catching up.

      Delete
    3. And first I was someone upset. I’m sure many of us let political thinking of events in recents months and the year come to mind, including myself. I was wrong. After 24 hours of swelling I decided Ray Charles is worthy of induction into the Country Music Hall of Fame. His “Modern Sounds” albums opened doors for the country music industry that otherwise may have not have opened. The pop world wanted to know more about Cindy Walker, Don Gibson and others.
      It was after those Charles albums came out that the careers of Ray Price and Eddy Arnold were revived with strings and orchestras. Other artists such as Marty Robbins begin experimenting with his style as well. I believe all of this and more was a direct result of the success of Ray Charles.

      He is worthy. I just was not expecting it this year. And I believe the reaction would have been better if the tie had been in this category.

      As far as The Judds, that’s no surprise or problem to me. Well deserved and really a little behind.

      Now I was really thrown off on the musician. In not a million years would I have picked Bayers over Buddy Harman. I’m still speechless.,

      Pete Drake is a no-brainer. Like Floyd Cramer, Charlie McCoy & others he even had commercial success as an artist on his own.

      I had sources telling me Buck Trent was at least on the ballot. I was expecting him in reality. And if you think about it, he is worthy. Touring and session musician with two Hall of Famers, Bill Carlisle and Porter Wagoner— star of Hee Haw — huge influence on this rise of Branson, MO. He really is a star of his own.

      Delete
    4. David, I'm not disagreeing about Buck Trent at ALL. But I wonder whether part of the issue for him is that as a musician, he is associated with a particular act (mainly Porter), just as Oswald was with Mr. Acuff and Don Rich with Buck Owens. So the tendency is toward the sessions people, I guess. That said, yes, Buddy Harman should have been the first drummer in. Of course, somewhere, The Solemn Old Judge, Herman Crook, and Grandpa Jones are looking at one another and saying, "DRUMS?"

      Delete
    5. “Very little, if any”
      — Louis Marshall Jones

      Delete
  2. So many who deserved to be in there years ago Keith Whitley, Gene Watson, Vern Gosdin, Maddox Brothers and Rose, the Gatlin brothers and the list goes on but I guess that's business as usual at the hall of fame

    ReplyDelete
  3. If everybody got in, it wouldn't be a Hall of Fame ---

    Dashmann, Flushing, Michigan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think everyone should get in there are plenty who don't deserve it but I think the ones I named definitely do deserve it

      Delete
  4. Happy to see Pete Drake get in. He and Buddy Emmons are my two favorites. Also, Ray Charles getting in is awesome too. Hearing his Modern Sounds is another reason I enjoy country music.

    ReplyDelete