Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Grand Ole Opry 10/28 & 10/29

I want to start out by thanking everyone who has posted the kind and complimentary comments regarding myself. While I may not comment or reply, I do read all of the comments posted and I appreciate all of you who take the time to read and/or post on my blog. 

Now to this weekend at the Grand Ole Opry as the Opry out the month of October with three solid shows on the schedule. This also marks the last week of two Saturday night shows until December 10, when Ashley McBryde will be inducted as the Opry's newest member. 

Looking at the Friday Night Opry, Opry members Jeannie Seely, John Conlee, Bobby Osborne and Charlie McCoy are on the schedule. John Conlee returns for both shows on Saturday night, joined by members Mandy Barnett, Don Schlitz, and seldom seen Opry member Clint Black. This will actually be Clint's second and third Opry appearances of 2022 as he appeared on a show earlier this year. 

Sam Williams returns on Friday night, along with Dillon Carmichael, Hannah Ellis and Brandon Heath. Saturday night will feature the Opry debut of Naomi Raine, along with Lukas Nelson and Exile. Nice to see this group back on the Opry as it has been a while. Exile had been scheduled for an appearance on Opry Country Classics a short time back but canceled. 

Michael Martin Murphy was originally posted on the Friday schedule but was not on the final version and in what can be determined as a rarity, there is no comedian on the schedule this weekend. 

Friday October 28
7:00: Jeannie Seely, Hannah Ellis, John Conlee, Sam Williams
Intermission
8:15: Dillon Carmichael, Bobby Osborne & The Rocky Top X-Press, Brandon Heath, Charlie McCoy

Saturday October 29
1st show
7:00: Opry Square Dancers, Mandy Barnett, John Conlee, Naomi Raine, Don Schlitz
8:00: Lukas Nelson, Exile, Clint Black

2nd show
9:30: Opry Square Dancers, Mandy Barnett, John Conlee, Clint Black
10:30: Naomi Raine, Lukas Nelson, Exile, Don Schlitz

The second hour of the first show will be televised live on Circle TV and on the various streaming platforms.


And now, from 50 years ago, Saturday October 28, 1972:

1st show
6:30: Wilma Lee and Stoney Cooper (host); Wynn Stewart
6:45: Jimmy C Newman (host); Willis Brothers
7:00: Stu Phillips (host); Justin Tubb; Jeanne Pruett; Eddie Low
7:30: Tompall (host) and The Glaser Brothers; Bill Carlisle; Jack Barlow; Crook Brothers
8:00: Ernest Tubb (host); Johnny Carver; Karen Wheeler; Lee Otis; Wayne Hammond
8:30: Hank Snow (host); Marion Worth; The 4 Guys; Fruit Jar Drinkers; Tex Withers

2nd show
9:30: Tompall (host); and The Glaser Brothers; Willis Brothers; Johnny Carver; Wynn Stewart
10:00: Jimmy C Newman (host); Tennessee Ernie Ford
10:15: Wilma Lee and Stoney Cooper (host); Karen Wheeler; Eddie Low
10:30: Justin Tubb (host); Bill Carlisle; Jeanne Pruett
10:45: Ernest Tubb (host); Jack Barlow; Crook Brothers
11:00: Hank Snow (host); Stu Phillips; Tex Withers; Fruit Jar Drinkers; Sam McGee
11:30: Marty Robbins (host); Marion Worth; The 4 Guys

(Tennessee Ernie Ford only appeared on the second show that night, as did Marty Robbins. In a rarely, Tennessee Ernie did not appear on a Martha White sponsored segment, which he normally did when he visited the Opry). 

Johnny Carver was on a lot of Opry shows during this period and it is somewhat surprising that he never became a member of the Opry. 

This was the first time I had seen the name Eddie Low listed on the Opry schedule. I had to do some research as I was not familiar with this singer. From what little I could find; Eddie Low was from New Zealand and was blind.  He developed his musical talent and skills on a wide range of instruments at the Blind Institute in Auckland. During the 1960s Eddie Low was a member of The Quin Tikis, touring through New Zealand.  He starred in the 1966 musical comedy film Don't Let It Get You. In 1970 he was signed to Joe Brown Records and released singles for the label, "Lonely Women Make Good Lovers" and "Help Me Make It Through the Night". It would appear that at the age of 79 he is still alive. 


Yes, for a short amount of time, Slim Whitman was a member of the Grand Ole Opry, as he joined the cast on Saturday October 29, 1955. While some may remember Slim from those late-night commercials promoting his greatest hits album, in his day, Slim was a pretty big star. 

Though he was once known as "America's Favorite Folksinger," Slim Whitman was, for the majority of his career, more famous in Europe than in the United States. Best remembered for his early-'50s hit singles like "Love Song of the Waterfall," "Indian Love Call," and "Singing Hills," Whitman was an excellent yodeler known for singing mellow, romantic, and clean-cut songs.

As a child, Slim Whitman (born Ottis Dewey Whitman Jr.) became infatuated with music and learned to yodel listening to Montana Slim and Jimmie Rodgers records. At age 17, he married 15-year-old Geraldine Crist, a preacher's daughter. The newlyweds moved to a 40-acre farm south of Jacksonville, Florida, where Whitman worked as a meat packer. During World War II, Slim served in the U.S. Navy, where he learned to play guitar. Following the war, he returned to the shipyard and also joined a local minor-league baseball team, the Plant City Berries. Whitman remained with the team through 1948, but then began building a singing career at several Tampa radio stations, eventually creating a backup band, the Variety Rhythm Boys.

Slim Whitman got his first big break after Colonel Tom Parker -- who was managing Eddy Arnold at the time -- heard him singing on radio station WFLA. Parker landed a contract with RCA for him by the end of 1948. After reluctantly complying with the label's request to change his first name to "Slim," he released his first single, "I'm Casting My Lasso Towards the Sky" -- eventually to become his theme song. He made his national debut on the Mutual Network's Smokey Mountain Hayride in the summer of 1949, and the following year joined The Louisiana Hayride. 

In the early '50s, he released a cover of Bob Nolan's "Love Song of the Waterfall," which became his breakthrough hit, peaking at number ten on the country charts; the follow-up single, "Indian Love Call," made him a star, peaking at number two on the country charts and crossing over into the pop Top Ten. Both sides of his next single -- "Keep It a Secret"/"My Heart Is Broken in Three" -- were also major hits and he continued to have a string of Top Ten hits into the mid-'50s. In 1955, his title song for the film Rose-Marie became a smash on both sides of the Atlantic; following its success, Whitman joined the Grand Ole Opry, and then went to Britain in 1956 as the first country singer to play the London Palladium. Throughout the late '50s and early '60s, he had a string of British hits, including "Tumbling Tumbleweeds," "Unchain My Heart," and "I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen."

Although he was experiencing great success in the U.K., Whitman's career was in neutral in the U.S. After 1954's "Singing Hills," he had only two Top 40 hits in the course of a decade. In 1965, he bounced back into the country Top Ten with "More Than Yesterday." For the next few years, he had a series of minor country hits, including "Rainbows Are Back in Style" (1968), "Happy Street" (1968), and "Tomorrow Never Comes" (1970). Throughout the early '70s, he continued to have minor hits, but in 1974, he retired from active recording.

In 1979, Slim filmed a television commercial to support Suffolk Marketing's release of a collection of his greatest hits. On the strength of the commercials, All My Best sold four million records and became the best-selling television-marketed album in history. After its success, the label released Just for You in 1980, and The Best in 1982. Between 1980 and 1984, Whitman had a small run of minor hits, highlighted by 1980's number 15 hit "When." In the late '80s, he returned to television-marketed albums, releasing Slim Whitman: Best Loved Favorites in 1989 and 20 Precious Memories in 1991. During the '90s, Whitman recorded infrequently but continued to tour successfully, particularly in Europe and Australia. His final release, Twilight on the Trail, appeared in 2010, and he died three years later of heart failure.

Here is the posted program from Saturday October 29, 1955: 

7:00: Federal Fertilizer Co. 
Jordanaires: Theme Song
George Morgan: Ain't Love Grand
Fiddle Tune: Bill Cheatham
Minnie Pearl: Comedy
Justin Tubb: Pepper-Hot Baby
Fiddle Tune: Katy Hill

7:45: American Ace
Ray Price: I Can't Go Home Like This
Chuck Reed: Love, Love, Love
Jean Shepard: Why Did You Wait
Ray Price: In The Garden
Fiddle Tune: Sally Goodin

8:00: Martha White
Flatt and Scruggs: Theme Song
Ernest Tubb: You Nearly Lose Your Mind
Hank Snow: Golden Rocket
Flatt and Scruggs: Blackeyed Susie
Slim Whitman: You Have My Heart
Possum Hunters: Sleepy Lou
Ernest Tubb: It's A Lonely World
Carlisles: Lil Liza Jane
Cowboy Copas: Blue Yesterday
Flatt and Scruggs: Some Old Day
Hank Snow: Born To Be Happy
Fiddle Tune: Leather Britches

8:30: Prince Albert
Jimmy Dickens: Sally Boogie
Rod Brasfield: Comedy
Wilburn Brothers: Mixed Up Melody
Fiddle Tune: Gray Eagle
Jimmy Dickens: If I Could Hear My Mother Pray Again
Del Wood: Rocky Mountain Express
Minnie Pearl: Comedy
Wilburn Brothers: Temptation Go Away
Chet Atkins: South
Jimmy Dickens: We Could
Fiddle Tune: Soldier's Joy

9:00: Royal Crown Cola
Roy Acuff: Just A Friend
Fruit Jar Drinkers: Katy Hill
Johnny and Jack: I Get So Lonely
Hawkshaw Hawkins: I Gotta Have You
Jug Band: Thirty Days
Kitty Wells: I'm In Love with You
Roy Acuff: I'm A Pilgrim
Oswald: John Hardy
Riddle: Lost John
Howdy: Liberty

9:30: Jefferson Island Salt
Jordanaires: Theme Song
Jimmy Dickens: Blackeyed Joe
Jim Reeves: I've Lived A Lot in My Lifetime
Red Sovine: A New Love Affair
Lew Childre: Riding on the Elevated Railroad
Chet Atkins: Somebody Stole My Gal
Jimmy Dickens: Take Me As I Am
Jordanaires: Shaking Bridges
Crook Brothers: Mississippi Sawyer
Goldie Hill: Ain't Gonna Wash My Face
Jimmy Dickens: John Henry
Fiddle Tune: Old Joe Clark

10:00: Wall-Rite
George Morgan: Lonesome Record
Bill Monroe: I Used to Be
Justin Tubb: I'm Sorry I Stayed Away
George Morgan: Ever So Often
Fiddle Tune: Gray Eagle

10:15: Dr. Le Gear
Cowboy Copas: Gone and Left Me Blues
Slim Whitman: Song of the Wild

Carlisles: I Was On My Way to the Show
Cowboy Copas: The Man Upstairs
Fiddle Tune: Sleepy Lou

10:30: Hester Battery
Ernest Tubb: Let's Say Goodbye Like We Said Hello
Goldie Hill: Why Don't You Let Me Go
Paul Howard: Maybelline
Ernest Tubb: Somebody Love You
Fiddle Tune: 8th of January

10:45: D Con
Hank Snow: I Don't Hurt Anymore
Jimmy Snow: Meanest Thing in the World
Gully Jumpers: Dance All Night
Hank Snow: I'm Moving On
Fiddle Tune: Ragtime Annie

11:00: W. E. Stephens
Jimmy Dickens: A Sleeping at the Foot of the Bed
Hawkshaw Hawkins: Standing at the Edge of My World
Jim Reeves: Yonder Comes A Sucker
Jody and His Cousins: No Help Wanted
Crook Brothers: Lil Liza Jane
Jean Shepard: I Didn't Know the Gun Was Loaded
Jimmy Dickens: Conscience Set Me Free
Hawkshaw Hawkins: Car-Hoppin Mama
Jim Reeves: Jimbo Jenkins
Fiddle Tune: Devil's Dream

11:30: Delited
Ray Price: I Don't Want It on My Mind
Louvin Brothers: Love Thy Neighbor
Red Sovine: I'm Glad I Found A Place
Sam and Kirk: You Wouldn't Be Satisfied That Way
Lew Childre: Maple on the Hill
Wilburn Brothers: My Heart on My Mind
Ray Price: Sweet Little Blue Eyes
T. Tommy Cutrer: Thank You Lord
Fruit Jar Drinkers: Grey Eagle
Louvin Brothers: Pit Fall
Fiddle Tune: Billy In The Low Ground

There you have it as the Opry closes out the month of October. As always, thank for reading and commenting, and tell your friends and neighbors about the blog. I would appreciate it. 

Take care and I hope everyone enjoys the Grand Ole Opry this weekend. 







14 comments:

  1. Nice write up on Slim Whitman, he really had a beautiful voice. The story I remember was Johnny Carson on his show saying “who the ***** is Slim Whitman . Johnny got in hot water over that remark and as a settlement had to have Slim on his show. I watched that show where he sang several of his songs. Jeff Hoag is a fan of Slim and will play his music on WSM.

    Dick
    Sun Prairie,wi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll second the Byron Appreciation Society!

    As I recall, ET introduced Slim Whitman once by saying he played the guitar backward. He was left-handed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael Martin Murphy cancelled to drive to a funeral.
    Ashamed to admit I did not pick up the name of the fellow he is driving to pay his respects to.
    He was on Coffee, Country, and Cody recently, and he sounded great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nat, it was Don Edwards that passed away. I shared a link that to his biography and career achievements.

      www.allmusic.com/artist/don-edwards-mn0000150069/biography

      Delete
    2. Was Don Edwards ever on the Opry? I'm familiar with him but can't recall why. Maybe through the Riders in the Sky or Nashville Now. I sure remember him having some visibility somewhere that I was paying attention too in the 90's it seems.

      Jim

      Delete
  4. I will confess that I normally do not listen to the Thursday night Opry Country Classics show. It is usually hit and miss. Last night was one of those nights where I made sure to listen to the entire show and it was fantastic. William Lee Golden and The Goldens are a good family group and featured a song made famous by The Browns and also performed several Kris Kristofferson numbers, including "Me & Bobby McGee." Carlos DeFord Bailey was good and seemed to appreciate the Opry invitation to appear and Twitty & Lynn were a nice surprise. Larry Gatlin, along with Steve and Rudy, did their usual routine that they pretty much do every week.

    Ricky Skaggs was the spotlight artist, but to me the big moment was hearing The Whites again on the Opry. This was their first appearance since March 2020 and I know we were all wondering when they would be back, and if Buck would be with Sharon and Cheryl. He was, and from the pictures I saw, not only did they sound good on the radio, but they all looked good. They sang "Pins & Needles" and "Keep on the Sunny Side." They also appeared with Ricky. Buck was holding/playing the mandolin and really seemed to be enjoying himself.

    I don't know when The Whites will be back on the Opry again, but for one night, they brought back a lot of fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thursday nights are all about Grey's Anatomy where I live, except when the Opry Country Classics shows are going on, then Grey's takes a back seat.

    Last night the Opry Country Classics show was excellent.

    William Lee Golden & The Golden's were very good.

    I very much enjoyed Carlos DeFord Bailey, unfortunately he sang two songs & did a fine job. I hope he is invited back at some point to sing three, like everyone normally gets.

    Twitty & Lynn were good. I need to listen to them a bit more.

    The Gatlin's are ALWAYS good - their family harmonies still give me "those goosies" & while Larry did a pretty terrific job on my very favorite Vince Gill song of all time "When I Call Your Name" Larry is right, that song can only be sung by Vince himself, but kudo's to Larry for did a very good job on it.

    And I totally agree with Byron ... the NIGHT belonged to The White's & their return to the Opry stage. While they did a great job on their songs, I was a bit disappointed they were given two songs not the normally three. I know they backed Ricky Skaggs up on "I Wouldn't Change You If I Could" - maybe that was considered their third song.

    For me, they picked up right from where they left off a little over two years ago ~ Sharon, Cheryl & Mr. Buck were in fine form ... their family harmonies were just so wonderful & I hope it's not too soon before they return.

    Now, for Clint Black, Don Schlitz, Lukas Nelson, Mandy Barnett & John Conlee & Naomi Raine tomorrow night. It's going to be a great Saturday Night Grand Ole Opry, with two shows with live-stream included. THANK YOU GRAND OLE OPRY for live-streaming!

    (Jeanene)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Show #1 down ...

      As always, Clint Black, Don Schlitz, Lukas Nelson, Mandy Barnett & John Conlee were OUTSTANDING and Naomi Raine was very, very good.

      Oh how about Lukas Nelson? I am SO impressed by him & his music. He was just great & of course, a chip off the ol' block.

      Show #2 going on with John Conlee just finished singing "Jesus Take a Hold & Lead Us Through" .... GREAT beat & an even better song!

      Clint Black ... just love this guy & his music. Always so pleasant, always so engaging with the audience & I am really loving his honky-tonk song "Heartaches" - never heard it until the first show & he is singing it again. A true country song. I enjoyed the song he sang about the Opry House. Sure wish he would walk into it more often.

      (Jeanene)




      Delete
  6. I had internet issues during the first hour tonight. Since Hannah Ellis appeared after the break, did Dillon Carmichael appear in the first hour?

    Thanks-Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. The Opry switched those two around after I posted the lineup.

      Delete
  7. For several weeks I have listened to the comedy video they play when they are killing time leading to the Circle portion. It amazes me that with all this technology and talent, they can't time out the show leading to Circle. Anyway, I have thought they cut it short and do not get to all the acts actually on it. But after hearing the exact same thing every time, I don't think that is the case.

    Anyway, with the comedy video, they have finally convinced me that I have been confused and wrong. All those years I listened to Jerry Clower and Archie Campbell, I thought I knew what there voice sounded like and the jokes they told. I've been wrong for Mike Terry tells me each time they play this video that I'm hearing Minnie Pearl and Archie Campbell! I had thought that was Jerry Clower!

    If you are going to present history, please do it right. A lot folks in the audience these days were not even thought of when Archie Campbell died, Hee Haw ended or Minnie Pearl passed. If you can't be factual just say "here's some comedy that has appeared on the Opry in the past" and let it go at that.

    Picky I know but factual history used to matter.

    Jim
    Knightsville, IN

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jim, I think you’re like me. I’m use to Opry announcers like Eddie Stubbs, Hairl Hensley, Keith Bilbrey , & Grant Turner (I was 6 years old when he passed away) Mike Terry has been around for awhile now, but I just don’t think he knows much about the history of the Opry & Country Music. I could be wrong, but that’s the way he comes across to me. I hear him on 650 & Willie’s Roadhouse and there’s been many times he says things , that I know he’s wrong. I’m 37 years old and I’ve always loved the history of real Country Music and the Opry. I know things like this doesn’t matter to the average fan, but to fans like us it does. Curry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Curry. I'm trying to cut back on posting here because I am frustrated and I can't blame anyone who might be tired of my negative comments. I have always know the day would come when there would be a lot of the music on the Opry that wouldn't appeal to me. However, I never imagined it would look like it does today. I'll leave it at that.

    For my liking, all is not lost but it sure has strayed a lot. But, the fans keep coming, at least once, and they are filling seats. From a business perspective, that is what counts. Sentiment and history takes a back seat to the dollar and that is to be expected.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jim, you nailed it with this sentence.
    "Sentiment and history takes a back seat to the dollar and that is to be expected."
    Thats EXACTLY what we're seeing.
    Some of the new acts are lacking in talent and can't entertain at all, but that's just how it seems to be going. Still, every now and then, a really good show happens. And it's still magic in person.

    ReplyDelete