Sunday, January 14, 2024

10 Acts that I Would Like To See As Opry Members (Updated)

Back in June 2011, I made a post listing 10 acts that I would like to see becoming Opry members. 12 years later, I thought it would be interesting to take a new look at that post and offer an update. 

Here is that original post: 

As I have been watching and listening to the Opry over the past several months, I have been seeing lots of guest artists on the Opry. In fact, so far in 2011, 125 different guests have performed on the Opry. Many of these guest artists have been newcomers to the business and were making their first Opry appearances, while others have been veteran artists who have played the Opry many times.

As the number of active Opry members has been decreasing, I have been thinking about who I would like to see as an Opry member. I have come up with a list of 10 who I think would make good Opry members. By good, I mean that based on their past performances, they would appreciate and understand the importance of being an Opry member and would actively support the show. In no special order, here is my list of 10:

1) Mandy Barnett. I know that the first thing some of you will say is that she has not had a hit record and is not a "real" star. But I think this is a very talented young lady. She has one of the greatest voices in the world and each time I have seen her at the Opry, she has been well received. So far in 2011, she has appeared on the Opry 10 times. Only 17 of the 65 Opry members have had more appearances than her. She made 14 appearances last year. Currently, there is a shortage of active female Opry members. On many of the Opry's shows, there have been as few as 1 or 2 females scheduled. I think Mandy would be a fine Opry member and would add another talented female voice to the show. (Update: Opry member as of November 2, 2021)

2) Crystal Gayle. In keeping with the theme of the Opry needing some additional female voices, Crystal Gale is one of the most talented females in the history of country music. She was one of the top female artists in the 1980's and 1990's. She is still popular today and her concerts draw well. Last year, she made 4 Opry appearances, and she has also appeared this year. The crowd loves her, and I think she could be a female version of Mel Tillis. By that I mean an older artist, who's best part of their career is behind them, and now has the time to be a part of the Opry. (Update: Opry member as of January 21, 2017)

3) Oak Ridge Boys. I have seen the Oak Ridge Boys perform on the Opry at least a half dozen times. Each and every time they have performed "Elvira", they have received a standing ovation. They bring energy and excitement to the Opry and they appeal to all ages. For about the last dozen years, the "Boys" have made several Opry appearances each year. Last year it was 4 and so far this year, they have been on 5 times with several more appearances already scheduled. There are only 2 other country group that are Opry members, and those are The Whites and Diamond Rio. I happened to be up in the balcony at the Ryman Auditorium about a dozen years ago, during an Opry show, and Duane Allen was also standing in the back. I went over and said hi and made the comment that the Oak Ridge Boys should be Opry members. Duane was very nice and said that they would love to be Opry members, but that they are just too busy. It would seem that with their career winding down, this would be the perfect time for them to join. (Update: Opry member as of August 6, 2011)

4) Rhonda Vincent. It seems like the question has been asked for about the last 5 or 6 years, why is Rhonda Vincent not a member of the Opry? She is one of the top female vocalists in bluegrass and with Alison Krauss the only female bluegrass artist on the Opry roster, it seems that this would be a great fit. She has made many Opry guest appearances and has always been well received. Last year her Opry appearances were down to 4, which is one of her lowest numbers. Many have speculated that her association with Martha White has hurt. That I don't know, but what I do know is that Rhonda should be an Opry member. (Update: Opry member as of February 6, 2021)

5) Dailey & Vincent. In keeping with the bluegrass theme, many of the Opry's bluegrass acts are now elder statesmen. Ralph Stanley and Jesse McReynolds are over 80 and Del McCoury and Bobby Osborne are not far behind. Even Ricky Skaggs is well over 50. It is time for some new bluegrass blood on the Opry and Dailey & Vincent should be the ones. Last year, they made 15 Opry appearances and so far in 2011, it has been 6. Bluegrass started on the Opry and the tradition of great bluegrass music needs to continue from the Opry stage. Dailey & Vincent would make great Opry members. (Update: Opry member as of March 11, 2017)

6) Rascal Flatts. They are one of the hottest groups in country music today and have been for the past several years. They are true country entertainers, and they love the Opry. They have been making Opry appearances for the past several years and, as you would expect, the crowd loves them. And they are young. That is important as the Opry needs to continue to add younger members, but only younger members who will support the show. I believe that they would. (Update: Opry members as of October 8, 2011)

7) Jimmy Wayne. Not only is Jimmy a fine young talent with a couple of #1 records, but he is also an even better person. The Opry and WSM were one of his big supporters on his "Walk Across America." Last year, he made 9 Opry appearances and so far in 2011, it has been 6. When you see him on the stage of the Opry, the young girls love him, and he always interacts with the audience. He understands the history of the show and would make a good member. (Update: Has not recently appeared on the Opry and his career seems to have stalled)

8) Gene Watson. This man should have been an Opry member 25 years ago. The Opry calls upon him many times and he always answers the call. And he is considered one of the greatest country singers in history. He had 6 appearances last year, and 4 so far this year. His hit records from the 1980's are recognized by everyone the minute he starts with the first note. Much like Crystal Gayle, he would bring a veteran voice to the Opry, and one who would make the time to be at the show. (Update: Opry member as of February 7, 2020)

9) The Grascals. In keeping with the bluegrass theme, this group, while new in bluegrass, has made a huge impact during the past several years. Starting out as basically Dolly Parton's back up bluegrass group, they have moved to the front. They have made numerous Opry appearances over the last 5 years, and they play a great selection of up-tempo bluegrass. Their Cracker Barrel CD is great. When I was at the Opry in April, they were there and it was my first time seeing them in person. I was hooked right away. They would not hurt the Opry one bit. Update: The Grascals continue to make occasional appearances on the Opry)

10) James Wesley. Some of you are probably saying, who? But, in my opinion, this is one of the great young talents in country music. He has made 6 Opry appearances so far this year, and even the great Jimmy Dickens has given him his personal endorsement. He is true country. And, in the time I saw him at the Opry, he seems to understand what the Opry is all about. As with Rascal Flatts, the Opry needs to continue to appeal to the younger fans, and I think James Wesley would fit the bill. (Update: Not sure of the current status of James, but he hasn't guested on the Opry in years)

I know I left some off the list. Names such as Mark Wills, Elizabeth Cook, Rebecca Lynn Howard, Holly Williams, Restless Heart, Aaron Tippin, Joey+Rory and The Band Perry. My 10 that I would pick are probably not anyone else's 10. So, who else has an opinion. I would love to hear. (Update: Mark Wills is an Opry member as of January 11, 2019. Joey Feek passed away in 2016. The Band Perry is no longer together. Elizabeth Cook, Rebecca Lynn Howard, Holly Williams and Aaron Tippin continue to guest on the Opry, some more than others)

An interesting list for sure and happy to see that the majority of those that I listed have become Opry members, and with the exception of Rascal Flatts, have become good Opry members. 


After the rush of adding members over the past several years, I thought it would be a good time to write and post a new list of 10 acts, in no particular order, that I would like to see become Opry members over the next several years: 

1) T. Graham Brown: He seems to be at the top of everyone's list, as he should be. Early in his career, he made a number of Opry appearances. Then during the Pete Fisher years, he seemed to have disappeared from the show. However, over the past five or six years, he has been welcomed back. According to what I have seen, Elizabeth Cook has made more guest appearances on the Opry than any other non-member. Second on the list is T. Graham, with several hundred. I think he would be the next veteran to join the cast. Let's hope. 

2) Charles Esten: Charles first came to the Opry just over a decade ago when the hit TV show "Nashville" first premiered. At that time, the Opry highlighted many of the performers from the show, basically actors singing country music. Throughout the TV run, Charles performed fairly frequently on the Opry and after the show was cancelled, he has continued to appear, averaging just over 10 appearances each year. Since his first appearance, he has appeared almost 175 times, quite a commitment. He continues to make music and has been a popular guest on the Opry. Some may disagree, but personally, I would not have an objection if Charles was asked to join. 

3) Lainey Wilson: In my mind, it's not if, but when. Over the past couple of years, she has won as many awards as anyone in country music. She has made it known that she loves the Opry and would like to become an Opry member someday. She has made appearances over the past couple of years, even hosting the Opry NextStage show this past December. I think she is definitely in the conversation, and I would expect her invitation to come sooner rather than later. 

4) Darin and Brooke Aldridge: This award-winning bluegrass couple has appeared on the Opry numerous times over the past several years. They love the Opry, and even recorded a song about the Opry and the Circle of Wood. With the recent deaths of Bobby Osborne and Jesse McReynolds, there is a need for another bluegrass act on the show. As a husband/wife duo, they are unique and would fully support the show if asked. 

5) Exile: Their career has lasted 50 years and while they have not appeared on the Opry often, the group has made appearances over the course of their careers. While not strictly country, they have charted a number of singles on the country charts. In recent interviews, the group has expressed a desire to become members of the Opry. With the lack of interest by Diamond Rio to appear on the Opry, I think the show would benefit from having a legendary male group as part of their membership. While the odds are against them, I could maybe see it happen at some point. 

6) Kathy Mattea: I have been told over the years that at one point, Kathy was asked if she was interested in becoming an Opry member, and there didn't seem to be an interest. I have also heard that over the years, she has regretted that decision. I know that she has been busy lately with her involvement with West Virginia's Mountain Stage, which she is the host of. But even with that, she still manages to squeeze in a few Opry appearances each year. I have heard that there is interest from the Opry in having her as a member and let's hope that it does happen soon. 

7) Charlie Worsham: Ok, I am sure this is the one some of you are scratching your head about. No, he hasn't had any hit records, but he is a terrific singer/songwriter. And he certainly has a fan in Vince Gill. I'm not sure if it will ever happen for Charlie or not, but I couldn't do a Top 10 list without putting his name on it. So, there you have it. 

8) Steven Curtis Chapman: I realize that the Opry has a Christian Music act with The Isaacs, but I really think Steven Curtis Chapman would made a nice addition to the Opry. He has performed on the Opry for years and recently has increased his appearances. He has won so many awards they are too numerous to count. He is also Nashville based and someone who I think you could count on to be at the Opry. Does he appeal to everyone? No, but neither do a lot of the Opry's members. 

9) Malpass Brothers: This one is out of left field. Based out of Texas, their popularity has grown in recent years. The brothers are currently filming their own television show for RFD-TV. They have appeared on the Opry frequently over the past couple of years. Do I see them becoming members anytime soon? No, but I do think that they are someone to watch over the next couple of years. 

10) The Grascals: I had the Grascals on my original list a decade ago. I still think they would make good Opry members and there would be nothing wrong with adding another bluegrass group to the Opry. From what I have heard, the Grascals would be very interested in joining the Opry, but I am not sure if the feeling is mutual.

A few others: 

I didn't include Lee Greenwood on my list. I know Lee has said in at least one interview that he was asked to join the Opry years ago but turned it down due to his touring schedule. He also said that he has a deal with the Opry that he can appear whenever he wishes. Lee is on the tail end of his career and has made statements that he will be retiring, or cutting back, from touring and performing. It's probably too late for Lee to become a member, but I am fine if he keeps appearing on the show. 

Another one I did not list was Elizabeth Cook. Over the past several decades, she has guested on the Opry more than any other current non-member. She's not a star, she's not for everyone, but she has created a nice little niche for herself. 

I had heard that Tracy Lawrence was interested in becoming an Opry member. There was a period of time, before Covid, that Tracy was making a lot of Opry appearances; a few years he was up close to 20. But since 2020, he has only appeared a handful of times and the interest seems to be gone. Too bad. He had a very good career and continues to be popular. I think he would have been good for the Opry, in a way like Mark Wills. 

Maggie Rose is the 2024 version of Mandy Barnett. By that, I mean she is making a lot of Opry appearances much like Mandy did earlier in her career. Maggie really isn't country and I know from various comments, most don't seem to like her. I get it but thought I would throw her name out there. 

If I was looking at a young, contemporary act that might have potential to be an Opry member someday, I would put Zach Top on the list. Way too soon to see which direction his career might be going, but I like him. On the other hand, he could turn out to be another James Wesley, and we will be scratching our heads in 10 years wondering why I put him on my list. 

Steve Earle is another name that has come up. I'm not sure if I can picture him as an Opry member, but he likes doing the Opry and has stated a few times that if he is free and the Opry calls, he'll be there. In some ways, I can compare him to Jamey Johnson. Again, just someone I am throwing out there. 

Suzy Bogguss in many ways is similar to Kathy Mattea. By that I mean she is a veteran female artist who has appeared on the Opry numerous times in her long career. Her hit making days are behind her, but she still has a good voice. Over the history of the Opry, male singers have dominated. There would be nothing wrong with adding another female to the cast. 


Well, there you have it. Just my thoughts and my names. I am interested in what others think for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if there was an obvious name that I have somehow forgotten. If so, I am sure someone will let me know. 

Thoughts? 









21 comments:

  1. I think it's a good list, and the list from a decade ago shows great judgment, too!

    I think we need more bluegrass, especially when you consider that we lost the two senior Opry members performing it last year, and Del McCoury is getting up there. I wonder if there is a Cajun act out there because except for when the Kershaws were members, Jimmy C. Newman has been it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Byron your list is about like mine. Some might say that some aren’t superstars, but some of the greatest Opry stars didn’t have a ton of #1 hits, but were still great singers & entertainers!!

    Michael, I agree with the Cajun music. I always thought Jo-el Sonnier would have been great for the Opry, but he left this old world last night. I don’t know who else is out there that could fill that void on the Opry. Curry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curry, I was sad to see the news, and shocked that Jo-El Sonnier was 77. Not until I thought about his career did I say to myself, yes, he was around a long time. I don't know who else is out there, either, sad to say.

      Delete
  3. Byron, your 2011 predictions were spot-on, thus why we all enjoy your posts and updates - your insights, biographies, and positivity for country music are what keeps us going, especially about the Grand Ole Opry. I am with you 50% on the new list - here's hoping your "vibes" will reach the Opry management. (from Anonymous in PA)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very hard to argue with your list Brian. Exile is amazing. Their website claims Exile is now composed of its ORIGINAL members. Man, those cats have got to be OLD. Bill Cody played their first record when he was a very young DJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Exile stretches the truth somewhat by claiming they are all "original" members currently. The current members are all "original" to when they switched to country music in the '80s. (That is quite impressive.) But they are not original going back to 1963 when the band started.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for explaining the "original" members. I figured they all had to be about 80. :)

      Delete
  5. Bryon, you have a great list and a couple of names I could add would be Sam Bush for the Bluegrass / New Grass sound he brings. A couple of years ago, I would have said Mo Pitney, but his career seems to have stalled out a bit. I'd still like to see Rory Feek become a member, while his voice wasn't the dominant one in Joey+Rory,, he still has a great voice and a great connection with audiences. Moving on the younger acts, there aren't a lot who have guested many times, but Cody Johnson seems to have a few appearances under his belt, has a more traditional sound and might be a loyal member. War & Treaty are always well received and very talented. Chapel Hart are amazing talents, NextStage artiists and certainly cover the traditional role well with their own unique flair. I'm not sure if there has ever been an all-female group as members before, so that would be a plus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patrick, I agree with your comments on Mo Pitney. He is true country who did the Opry once in a while, but as you wrote, his career has basically stopped. I also agree that Cody Johnson is someone to watch. While the list I made does tend to favor the veteran acts, the Opry does need to keep adding younger members to keep it vibrant.

      It will be interesting to see what direction Chapel Hart goes. It seems that based on comments made by the group, that they are somewhat disillusioned about the music business right now. I do find it interesting that they are not on the schedule for the Dolly show this weekend. I don't debate at all the talents of The War and Treaty, but would they fit in as Opry members?

      Delete
  6. I feel really bad for Chapel Hart. I think they're about ready to throw in the towel. They bring so much to the 'Opry, and get so little back from the bigwigs in Nashville.
    "Each evening at sundown in Nashville, They sweep broken dreams off the street"
    How true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bryon- I echo Kathy Mattea, Suzy Boggus and T. Graham Brown. The 1980’s and 90’s was such great decades for country music.

    And I love Lainey Wilson. One of the few modern acts I can actually listen too. And I agree, it’s not “if” it’s “when”. She likely will get the next invitation.

    One thing I would love to see the Opry do is reinstate Leroy Van Dyke. Yes, he’s over 90 but he is still touring and singing great. Leroy considers himself an Opry member as it is. I think the Opry should handle that as they did Bobby Bare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From David B
      Not sure why I showed anonymous

      Delete
    2. Amen to Leroy Van Dyke. That seems like such an easy decision. It wouldn't hurt a thing or cost the Opry and would be such a great gesture. Fill seats? No. But sometimes you just do the right thing regardless of the consequences benefits or losses. To me this would be one of those times.

      Brings a question to my mind, who makes the decision or approves who becomes a member? How much freedom does Dan Rogers and his staff have to say in it? Everything? Or is there outside powers that play a roe these days?

      Jim

      Delete
  8. I'd love to see, Cody Johnson! Yes he's Texas based and yes, he hasn't appeared much, but the dude is as good as it gets, will fight for "real country music" as he calls it, and Im sure knows the opry history!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very good musical vibes with your 2011 list, Byron. While I listen to almost every Opry show, I no longer say "oh this one might be a good addition or that one." I'm not that impressed with so many that walk up to that mic to sing so I just stopped.

    There are some singers/acts that I don't see or never saw being a fit as an Opry member:

    Rascal Flatts - never saw the point – I wasn't wrong
    Sara Evans – while she didn't really come out of left field as I started paying attention to all the appearances she made in the last year, she became a member in October; since then, not one appearance … oh but she told Bill Anderson she has waited her entire life to become a member; like so many who say that? Just to say she is. She is not off to a good start in my opinion. I hold the same opinion of Kelsea Ballerini.
    Mark Wills - proved that I can be proven wrong; he changed my mind on the number of appearances he has made in five years of membership and how very personable he is on stage. While I like his radio hits he doesn't veer from them, which is too bad, I would like to hear something much more from him. I enjoy him being a member.

    I totally agree with you on Tracy Lawrence and I thought just maybe Billy Dean would make a good Opry member. He too, appeared fairly often, nothing really since Covid which is too bad, I really like their music and Billy Dean has a great voice, it's too bad.

    I am very happy the Opry made Rhonda Vincent, Dailey & Vincent, Mandy Barnett, Gene Watson, Jon Pardi and Don Schlitz as members. I truly enjoy every appearance by Don Schlitz, he has become so at ease and very personable on stage; I wish he would sing other songs he has written and there are plenty of them.

    I still very much enjoy when Del McCoury is on. I think they should invite Wyatt Ellis more. I was VERY impressed with that 14 year old young man.

    I still have the opinion that the Opry should consider bringing back Cajun music; there has been nothing really since Jimmy C. Newman passed.

    I agree that the Opry should invite T. Graham Brown, Kathy Mattea and Suzy Bogguss as members. Those whose careers are past their prime do tend to appear more. Lainey Wilson, not as much of a fan of hers as others, I'm sure she will become a member at some point, hope it's later rather than sooner. I say the same thing about Luke Combs, he became a member way too soon, though I like his music.

    I like Maggie Rose a whole lot and I think she has a terrific voice. I really enjoy when Emily West guests at the Opry; neither are country but neither is Charles Esten; but in my opinion, not many of the current crop are true country. I don't think that exists in mainstream anymore. Jon Pardi has recorded traditional country music, Cody Johnson and Mo Pitney; three.

    Part 1 of 2 (Jeanene)




    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been very impressed with Steve Earle and I agree with Byron, he is much like Jamey Johnson, whom I love as an Opry member. Jamey did an outstanding job this past Saturday from The Ryman, especially when he sang “Is It Raining at Your House?” by Vern Gosdin, he did a great job on that song. At the end of his set, Mike Terry gave him the nod to sing one more song (Take It Away) and the audience very much enjoyed it; getting to sing one more song doesn't happen too often. Jamey Johnson is a real asset to the Opry, in my opinion. Would I like to have him bring his band back to the stage again? I surely would; in the meantime, I thoroughly enjoy Jamey and his guitar.

    Your second list is a very good one as well, Byron. I think Charlie Worsham should be considered for membership at some point.

    Not sure whatever happened to Mo Pitney, great voice, great music, many Opry appearances at the start of his career, it's too bad he doesn't make it to the Opry stage more than he does.

    I really do like the War and Treaty, do they have something to offer to the Opry cast as much as Steven Curtis Chapman does? Time would tell on both acts.

    As I look at the line-up for the Opry goes Dolly ... hmmm love that Don Schlitz, Dailey & Vincent, Terri Clark and Lauren Alaina will be appearing, after that?? Not a fan of Tigilily Gold or Elle King, wish that Ashley McBryde was the Ashley making an appearance. I really liked the trio of Miranda Lambert, Ashley Monroe and Angeleena Presley, The Pistol Annie's, they were so good but I think that ship may have sailed, which is too bad if it has, that trio was really, really good. So much for the Opry goes Dolly. And if SHE isn't appearing, why bother? ALL my opinion, the Opry surely can do what they want and they are.

    I never listen to "country" radio here in Chicago, I couldn't tell you who is played and who isn't.

    If I want to hear country music, I listen to Jeff Hoag at night on WSM.

    Enjoy the Opry this weekend and stay warm everyone and I am looking forward to seeing how list #2 of musical vibes turns out for you Byron.

    Part 2 of 2
    (Jeanene)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't argue with very much Jeanene said.
    I will double-endorse Jeff Hoag on WSM. I think I enjoy his show as much as I did Eddie Stubbs' show, which I did not think was even possible. He plays some "not all that country" stuff, but somehow can relate it back to Nashville pickers or some other interesting tidbit. He lives, eats, and breaths country music.
    His Sunday gospel half hour is great also. Wish it was an entire hour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nat, thank you for your nice statement. Everyone has their own opinion on who they like, who they are not too much of a fan of.

      I also wanted to add one more Opry member, who I thought came out of nowhere at the time ... but he so proved me just as wrong as Mark Wills ... Hal Ketchum. He turned out to be a darned good Opry member and he had such a great voice. I am always very happy to be proven wrong and I will always admit when I am. May he Rest in Peace.

      I STILL miss Eddie Stubbs, but Jeff Hoag stepped behind the mic and has made his nighttime show his very own and that's what I like about him. He isn't an Eddie Stubbs clone ... Jeff plays Elvis, Eddie said he never would and as far as I know he never did. He said he liked Elvis and he realized Elvis was in the Country Music Hall of Fame but he said to him, Elvis is a rock n roll singer and he is in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.

      There are some nights Jeff will start out playing one song and then in thinking about that song, he thought of another song to play and he follows up with yet another song the previous one reminded him of. I enjoy his themed nights as I did Eddie's themed night, I thoroughly enjoy all the Bluegrass he plays Tuesday nights, I wish he would incorporate Cajun music here and there, it's almost a dying genre of music and that's too bad.

      I didn't say it earlier, because what I had to say went wayyyy long ... I have that danged habit! ha-ha! I really do miss hearing the hourly weather report from John Wetherbee. I miss that guy's voice and I miss his very thorough weather reports. Not until he passed away, did two of the on-air personalities at WGN-AM here in Chicago talk at length that they worked with John Wetherbee at one of the oldies rock stations (WFYR) here in Chicago years ago probably 30 years ago. I had no clue. All of my radio's were tuned into one station ... are there any questions? Of course the country station. May he Rest in Peace. I hope WSM finds someone else to take over and someone with a "voice." It's important to really like the voice you're listening to or it's no fun.

      Have a nice day, Nat, again stay safe and warm with all this crazy weather we're all having.

      (Jeanene)

      Delete
    2. His Sunday Gospel show use to be 3 hours then it went to one hour and now it’s a half hour.Curry

      Delete
    3. That's like putting two Chris Scruggs "Friends and Neighbors" shows back-to-back. Why bother?

      (Jeanene)

      Delete
  12. Saw Zack Top last year. He was the opening act at a Dwight Yoakam concert I went to. He was extraordinary. One of the rare times I wish the opening act had longer. He is real, authentic country music, meaning he probably won’t make it mainstream. But, really outstanding.

    ReplyDelete