Thursday, January 18, 2024

Grand Ole Opry 1/19 & 1/20

First, I want to start off with an apology for not posting the weekly lineup. It is actually on my desk down the hall. Some of you have known the right before Christmas I got an Upper Respiratory Infection. It knocked me for a loop. Lots of coughing. My friendly neighborhood pharmacist gave me  stuff to take. By early this week I was feeling pretty good, bur last it hit me again. I’ve been flat on my back and my doctor, who I do like said he could see me February 6. I was actually supposed to be in Nashville this weekend for the Dolly shows, but no way. Some posts might be a little late and thanks for the understanding.


Grand Ole Opry member Dolly Parton turns 78 on Friday night and the Opry will be doing a special show to commemorate her birthday: 

Opry Goes Dolly will celebrate Opry member Dolly Parton, country music’s greatest global ambassador and an artist who takes the Opry with her wherever she goes. While Parton will not appear in-person, this special Friday night show, in celebration of the icon's birthday, will feature guest artists performing their favorite Dolly hits, Dolly-themed events, photo-ops on the Plaza and more.

Beginning Nov. 17, $5 from every ticket sold to the Jan. 19 show will be donated to the Opry Trust Fund in Parton’s honor. For more than 50 years, the fund has assisted members of the country music community in need. 

This is your chance to see the show that made country music famous at its most famous former home – the Opry is making its return to the iconic Ryman Auditorium.

This will be the second year that the Opry will be having a show to honor Dolly on her birthday, and for the second year in a row, Dolly will not be appearing. Dolly has not appeared on the Opry since her 50th anniversary recognition in October 2019. It would certainly be nice to have Dolly back at the Opry, hopefully soon. 

As to those who will be appearing on the Friday Night Opry, Opry members Lauren Alaina. Terri Clark, Don Schlitz and Dailey & Vincent are on the schedule. Guesting will be Elle King, Ashley Monroe and Tigirlily Gold. And as a reminder, there will be two shows on Friday night. 

The Opry returns to the Grand Ole Opry House on Saturday night with a new big red curtain. For those who may not know, one of the reasons that the Opry has been at the Ryman Auditorium last weekend, and for Friday night, was the installation of a new red curtain across the Opry stage. Apparently, it is a very time-consuming process. 

There is a nice group of Opry members on the schedule, which includes Riders In The Sky, Connie Smith, Jeannie Seely, John Conlee and Crystal Gayle. Hannah Ellis, who has just released her new debut album, is on the schedule, along with Contemporary Christian Artist Anne Wilson and making his Opry debut, Wyatt Flores. 

Lineups to come 


Continuing with our look back 50 years, we go back to Saturday January 19, 1974. On this particular night, it was the final time that Grand Ole Opry member Ernest Tubb performed on the Opry prior to the move to the new Grand Ole Opry House. 

At this point in his career, Ernest had been an Opry member for 31 years and was one of the stars of the show. As the story goes, at the beginning of each year, Ernest would let Opry management know which Saturday nights that he would be at the Opry, making sure he got in his 26 shows as required. The other weekends, he would book himself out on the road. While this was his last show at the Grand Ole Opry House (Ryman Auditorium), his next appearance would be on the night of the opening of the new Grand Ole Opry House on March 16. 

Here is the running order from 50 years ago, Saturday January 19, 1974: 

1st show
6:00: Vietti
Roy Drusky (host): Early Morning Rain
Ernie Ashworth: Honky Tonk Hardwood Floor
Justin Tubb: Bad, Bad Leroy Brown
Ray Pillow: Excuse Me
Roy Drusky: Welcome To My World
Ernie Ashworth: Oh, Lonesome Me
Justin Tubb: Rambling Man
Ray Pillow: Countryfied

6:30: Mrs. Grissoms
Jim and Jesse (host): I Wish You Knew
Del Wood: There's A Big Wheel
Jim and Jesse: Everybody's Reaching Out for Someone
Del Wood: Keep On The Firing Line
Jim and Jesse: When I Stop Dreaming

6:45: Rudy's
Stonewall Jackson (host): Me & You & A Dog Named Boo
Wilma Lee and Stoney Cooper: I Couldn't Care Less
Bill Carlisle: No Help Wanted
Stonewall Jackson: Washed My Hands In Muddy Water

7:00: Rudy's
Roy Acuff (host): Cottonfields
Dottie West: Country Sunshine
Billy Grammer: Peace In The Valley
Jimmy C Newman: Potato Song
Brother Oswald: John Hardy
Dottie West: Here Comes My Baby
Roy Acuff: The Great Speckled Bird/Cabin In Gloryland

7:30: Standard Candy
Ernest Tubb (host): Give Me A Little Old-Fashioned Love
Willis Brothers: Truck Stop
Lonzo and Oscar: Traces of Life
Crook Brothers and The Tennessee Travelers: Eighth of January
Ernest Tubb: Another Story
Jeannie C Riley: Missouri
Wayne Hammond: To Get To You
Ernest Tubb: Texas Troubadour

8:00: Martha White
Lester Flatt (host)
Marty Stuart: Rawhide
Grandpa Jones: Wasn't He A Big One
Del Reeves: Lay A Little Lovin' On Me
Lester Flatt and Marty Stuart: The Bluebirds Singing For Me
Grandpa and Ramona Jones: Mt. Laurel
Del Reeves: What A Way To Go
Curly Seckler: Worries On My Mind
Kenny Ingram: Train 45

8:30: Stephens
Hank Snow (host): I'm Moving On
Bobby Bare: Come Sundown
Stu Phillips: There Must Be Another Way To Say Goodbye
Fruit Jar Drinkers: Take Me Back To Tulsa
Rev. Bob Harrington: (Spoke for 5 minutes)
The 4 Guys: Let Me Be There
Hank Snow: Hello Love

2nd show
Kellogg's
Wilma Lee Cooper and Stoney Cooper (host): There's A Big Wheel
Willis Brothers: Truck Stop
Jim and Jesse: Snowbird
Ernie Ashworth: Honky Tonk Hardwood Floor
Wilma Lee and Stoney Cooper: Shackles & Chains
Ray Pillow: Countryfied
Wilma Lee and Stoney Cooper: Thank God I Am Free

10:00: Fender
Del Reeves (host): Down In The Boondocks
Dottie West: Country Sunshine
Del Wood: There's A Big Wheel
Del Reeves: Sometimes Woman

10:15: Union 76
Roy Acuff (host): Wabash Cannonball
Bill Carlisle: Have A Drink On Me
Lonzo and Oscar: Rocky Top
Roy Acuff: Whoa, Mule, Whoa

10:30: Trailblazer
Lester Flatt (host): Rollin' In My Sweet Baby's Arms
Grandpa Jones: Oh, Suzanna
Jimmy C Newman: Jole Blon
Lester Flatt: Is Anybody Going North To Cincinnati/Orange Blossom Special

10:45: Beechnut
Ernest Tubb (host): I've Got All The Heartaches I Can Handle
Billy Grammer: How Great Thou Art
Crook Brothers and The Tennessee Travelers: Black Mountain Rag
Ernest Tubb: Walkin' The Floor Over You

11:00: Coca Cola
Hank Snow (host): In The Misty Moonlight
Justin Tubb: Lonesome 7-7203
Fruit Jar Drinkers: Katy Hill
Jeannie C Riley: Harper Valley PTA/Why Me Lord
Sam McGee: Railroad Blues
Hank Snow: Until The End Of Time

11:30: Elm Hill
Bobby Bare (host): Ride Me Down Easy
Stu Phillips: There Must Be Another Way To Say Goodbye
The 4 Guys: Let Me Be There/My Special Angel
Bobby Bare: The Streets of Baltimore
Stu Phillips: For The Good Times
Bobby Bare: Detroit City

(Billy Walker was scheduled to host the 6:30 and 9:30 segments but cancelled. Bob Luman was also scheduled for both shows but he also cancelled, along with Marion Worth. Roy Drusky and Stonewall Jackson only appeared on the first show). 

Another note regarding this night. It was also the night that Hal Durham officially took over as the Opry manager, replacing Bud Wendall, who was promoted to being in charge of Opryland. 





46 comments:

  1. All interesting stuff as always but, above all, Byron, feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Bryon, get well soon.

    Didn't Porter write Texas Troubadour for ET?

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get well soon Byron. Hate it that you missed your trip to the 'Opry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it’s really sad how many people go to the Opry these days and they don’t have a clue what they’re going to.
    I did something that I hardly ever do, and that’s read comments on Opry & Ryman Facebook pages. On top of that I commented on a post about Lauren Alaina canceling tonight. I had one lady respond after I said the Opry is a scheduled radio show every Friday & Saturday night:

    ” I’m sorry to say this but tonight’s show isn’t at the Grand Ole opry tonight for a radio show. It’s a special show at the Ryman Auditorium for a birthday celebration“.

    It’s crazy to me that people buy tickets and they don’t even know, what they’re really going to. This lady thinks it’s a birthday celebration for Dolly & that it’s not a Opry show tonight. Curry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who do you guys see going into the Hall of Fame this year?.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is this closing act? Come on. Somebody needs to pull this off the stage. This second time is a show stopper and I don't mean in a good way. WSM needs to cut the cord.

    The Opry has hit a new low.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is what you get when you let trash on the Opry. I can't believe they have let this go on. Isn't there security at the Opry that can take her off. The Opry needs to make a public statement and apologize to the public for letting this be on and worse letting it continue. Byron, look what you missed. Even the crowd has enough sense to reject it.

    Jim

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only listened to Daily & Vincent last night. Curry

      Delete
  8. A sad sad night for the Opry. Don't be surprised if this isn't the last time this happens. I know, Hank Williams, Johnny Cash and others. I don't condone their actions either and I wasn't there and didn't hear it but this could have been stopped. I'm not an expert on the law but it seems some FCC rules were just broken.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was sad and shocking to hear someone that drunk on the Opry. At least she didn't smash the stage lights. That will likely make news. Agree that a public statement and apology by the artist and the Opry is necessary. It was obvious from their response that the crowd was in shock as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Will add I feel bad for the Opry that this happened on their stage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wouldn't expect an apology from the artist but we'll see. It won't mean much to me. Smashing the footlights would have been nice instead of what we got. I think people still bring their kids to the show. I think it is still intended to be a family show. I guess maybe we are all numb to the things that are acceptable today but using the F word on stage and S--- so much should not be considered family entertainment. And look what you paid for it. From what I have seen it looks like cursing is standard in her material so being drunk only exaggerated it. Just a bad choice for a guest. Just a little web searching can give you an idea what you are signing up for. I fear this is not the worst we will eventually see on the stage now that it is an open door to anyone.

    I know it is an entirely different time and things change but can you imagine what Roy Acuff would think considering that he thought Rose Maddox was not properly dressed for the Opry?

    Just very sad and gives me a sick feeling in my stomach. Why would I tell someone to take their family to the Opry, my beloved Opry.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This woman's performance was disgusting, and I certainly do not approve of it in any way . But I also do not like the response of "Roy Acuff would never permit this", or "Roy Acuff must be spinning in his grave", as if that guy was some sort of saint. Acuff began his career singing dirty songs, or "smut" songs, as they were referred to then. He would fit right in with this lady. If someone played Acuff's dirty songs at the Grand Ole Opry (or any family-friendly venue) in 2024, it wouldn't be tolerated!

      Delete
    2. Sincerely, I'm being educated here and mean no ill by what I am saying. I know of things that Jimmie Davis, Johnny Horton and some others did early on that would fit this. Apparently Acuff has been protected and shielded because I am not aware of this. Again, not being confrontational, I'm just not aware so I'm interested in where to learn more. Are there recordings he made that are not today accessible to the public?

      Jim

      Delete
  12. I wasn't listening.
    1) Was it at the end of the early show or late show?
    2) What happened?
    3) Who was the artist?
    Inquiring minds want to know. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t hear it, but from doing a Facebook search it was Elle King. I did another search and looks like she’s been doing shows drunk lately. Curry

      Delete
    2. That's what I mean. Shouldn't be that hard to vet these people.

      Jim

      Delete
    3. Nat,

      It was Elle King. On the first show she was not out of line but in my opinion just unnecessary. Not a pleasant voice, hard to understand, very self indulging in my opinion. My thoughts are all subjective. But not the second show. All facts as to how she conducted herself.

      On the second show she even said she was drunk. I couldn't understand everything she was saying but she dropped the F bomb several times and it seemed like S--- was every other word out of her mouth. She mention body parts and her clothing and how it fit. She was just obnoxious and crude. She should have never been on the Opry in the first place in my opinion. I could just go on and on and repeat the same things. Johnny Russell, Mike Snider and Marty Robbins used to joke about being pulled off stage by a big hook. They needed a net and a hook last night but nobody was bold enough to do it.

      I actually think the Opry should make some kind of gesture to everyone who paid to attend the second show. And I think it would be appropriate for Dan Rogers to open the show tonight with a statement of the Opry's position and appologize for what happened last night.

      Can you tell I am upset?

      Jim

      Delete
  13. Sincerely, maybe I'm going at this all wrong. Instead of complaining and condemning the lady for her words and actions I should be wishing her well. Wishing that she find help for whatever would cause her to do this and that she gets better. We have all heard of so many of the people in the entertainment business getting down and drinking or doing drugs and appearing in public and having embarrassing moments. Many have needed help with rough spots in their career or life and have found inspiration in higher power and changed their life. Maybe that is the case here. No human is perfect and we all need help, we can't do this alone. Maybe I'm passing judgment and that is wrong.

    It just pains me to have this happen at the Opry, a place I have always thought of as generally offering good family entertainment, a safe place for families to go. And relatively neutral to extremes on political and social issues. There is not a way to be totally neutral when the music represents everyday life but there have been guard rails and they seem to be collapsing everywhere around us.

    I seem to have taken over here and I apologize. I'll set back and see if anyone else has thoughts.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m with you Jim, I was angry when I heard about it. After searching information,on her it does seem she has a problem with alcoholism. I hope she wants to get help and the right people will help her.
      It goes back to what I’ve said in an earlier post; majority of the audience doesn’t have a clue it’s a radio show & kinda makes me wonder how many of these artists know it’s a radio show?

      I wasn’t listening, but from what you said she did it the whole time she was on. I have been at Opryland Hotel, on an Opry night ,& when I went by WSM studio, there wasn’t anyone in the studio. So that could have been why it didn’t get cut off. When I did radio,in high school, someone had to be on that board while the station was on the air. I think they’ve changed rules on that since then and that’s why a lot of stations are automated majority of the time. Curry

      Delete
  14. Sad commentary. There definitely should have been some kind of oversight by "management" for a live and broadcasted program. If there is a contract about performance and she broke it by being drunk, they could have asked her to leave and let someone fill in. I would hope the "members" are appalled and voice their opinion. Certainly, WSM must be concerned and should contact the Opry Management, the wrong episode aired live could affect them. (from Anonymous in PA)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't think you've said anything wrong Jim. I feel sorry for her, BUT putting her on the show is just flat wrong. I'm pretty sure I heard a male tenor many years ago sing when he was clearly drunk, but he didn't offend anybody. Yuallll love me, doncha ?
    I do feel sorry for her, but I feel even more sorry for the folks responsible for inviting her and for the crowd who had to listen to her.
    Thanks for the clarification. Don't feel bad about ANYTHING you said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that the curtain was closed on her, not sure if that is a fact or not, I sure hope that it was. No one is deserving of paying for a ticket, for a very steep price, I might add, to watch and listen to that crap.

      And I hope Dan Rogers has decided not to have her back, Elle King is not a fit for that stage and I said that after she was on the Opry, was it last year? It's too bad everyone was subjected to her; from the audience, to Bill Cody to Dan Rogers and to Dolly Parton, of whom I have had the pleasure of sitting in a few of her concerts over the years and that woman was in total control of what took place on HER stage.

      Let's hope Elle King issues an apology to one and all. If she does, great, if she doesn't, last time on the Opry and then she needs to find the help she deserves and I look at her band-mates, I'd rather be fired trying to help her, than thinking it's nothing more than a paycheck.

      (Jeanene)

      Delete
  16. I'm glad I missed it. I'm sorry it happened. I hope she gets help.

    Once upon a time, with Tootsie's being so close to the Ryman (as Hairl used to say on the ad, 37 steps from the backdoor of the Ryman, 74 if you're Little Jimmy Dickens), and not having nice dressing rooms, they would visit the bar between shows, and it might affect the second performance. Too many great and not-so-great country stars have had drinking problems, among other forms of mood alteration, and couldn't or didn't get help. I hope she does, and that she doesn't return to the Opry until she is better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Had the displeasure of seeing Elle King open the show for Tyler Childers at Radio City Music Hall last August. She was hammered when she took the stage and profanity-laden to the point I had to get up from my seat.

    During the Fisher era I seem to remember the story about an artist who stripped down to her her bra during a plaza party which got her banned for the future. That sounds tame today. Opry Dan should have pulled the curtain on Elle and sent the staff band out.

    Not surprised. We live in a culture where there is no civility, respect, manners, or decorum - alcohol aside, profanity shows your lack of artistry. Plenty of country singers including some of our favorites, have managed their way through a set buzzed without profanity. (Oldtimeopry - Getting older everyday).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oldtimeopry, I'm with you, and what happened was awful.

      I love Warner Bros. cartoons, and one of the directors, Robert McKimson, once said, "Somethings you make progress in the wrong direction." He was referring to some of the changes in cartoons. We HAVE made progress in the sense that women once couldn't host Opry segments, DeFord Bailey was treated differently because he was Black, etc.

      I look at this performer and think of some who came before--and I say all of this with respect for entertainers I love. My mother used to say that sometimes, Lester Flatt seemed to be tilting a bit at the microphone, and I read that one night Earl Scruggs staggered back from Tootsie's and played a number perfectly. Hank Snow talked in his autobiography about times he ended up drunk on stage and was ashamed of it. I think of Faron Young and Tom T. Hall, who had problems like that that affected their lives and how their lives ended.

      Now we know that this performer has a real problem and needs to get it straightened out. I hope she does, for her sake. And if she can do it, would she deserve another chance? We give a lot of people second chances. I just hope she doesn't waste them.

      Delete
  18. This is painful to watch. If you're easily offended, don't watch.
    But the video makes it VERY clear why Jim and others are so upset.
    https://www.whiskeyriff.com/2024/01/20/fans-upset-over-disrespectful-drunken-performance-from-elle-king-during-dolly-parton-tribute/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It shows that the Grand Ole Opry replied (apologized) for the foul language - with their policy of so many "new" acts, they need to tighten up the rules

      Delete
  19. One more reason to go back to a member hosting each portion, instead of having these guests come out for segments by themselves. A host could put the Opry in a position of having more control over incidences such as this. I fear more like this will happen in the future with so many unknowns taking to the Opry stage now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely a wake-up-call for management

      Delete
  20. Last three posts are spot-on. Poor WSM announcers aren't really in a position to do anything about an out of control 'entertainer.' Somebody at the 'Opry needs to be in control, and somebody needs to do some checking up on the acts before they are asked to perform as guests. First of all, see if they can sing. And then see if they have done bad things as performers. In other words, CARE about the 'Opry and who appears on the 'Opry stage.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Elle King is not unknown. She hosted both the cma fest show, and the New Years show from Nashville last year. So she's very VERY well known but, this should be her final performance ever! That was disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I would say that Elle King is "well known" I would not say she is "VERY well known." There is a difference. It depends on which segment of the music industry you are talking about. It's not the end of the world, the Opry will move on with 2 more shows this weekend and will do a better job venting some of the younger artists. It will be taken as a learning experience. Fortunately for the Opry, this took place during the closing segment of a second Friday when radio listenership was probably lower than during the earlier show. They did a nice job offering an apology and I am sure Elle King will not be back on the Opry anytime soon.

      Delete
    2. I hope you're right Byron about the 'Opry doing "a better job vetting some of the younger artists." That would be very nice. :)

      Delete
    3. Where can I read the apology from the Opry. Other than email, this is the about as close to social media as I get.

      Thanks,

      Jim

      Delete
  22. Here you go Jim
    https://twitter.com/opry/status/1748781674521895343
    Copy and paste the address into your browser.
    I think you will get a kick out of the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bryon, hope you are feeling better - sorry you had to miss going to Nashville last weekend - with all the controversy about the Elle King performance it would have been great to hear your first person description of the events.

    ReplyDelete
  24. First of all, I had to look up who Elle King was because I’ve never heard of her. Still not impressed. Second, there’s no point in dropping the curtain, dragging her off the stage, or even cutting her mic off. Not booking her back is making a much stronger statement.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Or both ! 😆

    ReplyDelete
  26. I saw a piece on the Today Show website about this. They had a statement from Stella Parton who said this was typical Opry having a F----n double standard for women verses men, that it wasn't the first time this has happened but men are not criticized for it. Wow. I'll take she thinks it was acceptable or at least nothing should have been said about it.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whether male or female, what happened was unacceptable to not only the Grand Ole Opry, but apparently to many of the fans who were either in attendance or listening in based on the number of comments. Wrong is wrong regardless of gender, race, economic status, or any other way they can try to divide folks up.

      Delete
    2. When has a man done something comparable to that? Is the obvious question to Stella Parton’s comments. The profanities seem to be what has led to the criticism (more than the intoxication itself - which, minus the profanities, would have only caused a very poorly executed performance. And Lord knows it wouldn’t be the first recent poor performance!). I can’t remember anyone, male or female, using that type of language on the Opry, which is the reason for the many complaints. So I’m wondering what instance(s) Stella Parton is referring to.

      Delete
    3. I agree Robert, and wondered the same thing.
      It's one thing to have an alcohol related bad performance.
      It's something else to drop obscenities all over the stage.

      Delete
  27. Per Donna Fargo, it appears Margo Smith has passed away. She had a stroke a few days ago and passed yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have a Margo Smith CD which I believe has the best technical quality of any of my CDs. And it included Nashville pickers at their zenith.
    Margo was an absolutely amazing singer. Best yodeler I ever heard. Sad day for true country music fans.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think we only saw Margo once at a Golden Voice event. She was a great singer and yodeler as Nat noted. She seemed like a real nice lady. I recall back in the late 80's or early 90's they lost their house in a terrible fire and many of the Opry friends were there to help and support them. Seems to me she was on the Midnite Jamboree with Justin just after it happened.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete