Thursday, January 25, 2024

Grand Ole Opry 1/26 & 1/27

Did I miss anything last weekend while I was under the weather? The one thing you can say about the Opry is that at times, it is unpredictable, and you never know what could happen on live radio. The other observation is that once one show ends, there is another one on the horizon. 

So, moving on from the excitement and controversy from last Friday Night, there are two very nice Grand Ole Opry shows to finish up the month of January. The Friday Night Opry has members Rhonda Vincent, John Conlee, Mandy Barnett, Connie Smith and Carly Pearce all on the schedule. Saturday night will see members Riders In The Sky, Jeannie Seely, Don Schlitz and The Isaacs appearing. 

Taylor Hicks made an Opry appearance several months ago and was well received. He will be back on Friday. Also, on the schedule without a specific slot as of yet, are The Shootouts. As I have written before, they are from my neck of the woods and yet, I just haven't figured out in my own mind how I think of them. 

Very frequent Opry guest Charles Esten returns on Saturday night, along with Maddie & Tae, and Madeline Edwards. For Charles, this puts him close to 175 guest appearances. 

There are also two Opry debuts this weekend: Pryor Baird on Friday night and Christian Lopez on Saturday. 

Friday January 26
7:00: Rhonda Vincent, John Conlee, Mandy Barnett, Taylor Hicks
Intermission
8:15: Connie Smith, Pryor Baird, Carly Pearce

Saturday January 27
7:00: Opry Square Dancers, Riders In The Sky, Jeannie Seely, Christian Lopez, Don Schlitz
Intermission
8:15: Madeline Edwards, Charles Esten, Opry Square Dancers, Maddie & Tae, The Isaacs


Now from 50 years ago, Saturday January 16, 1974. What was special about this night was the appearance of Grand Ole Opry members George Jones and Tammy Wynette. 

1st show
6:30: Mrs. Grissoms
Tom T. Hall (host): The Year That Clayton Delaney Died
Jim Ed Brown: Southern Loving
Justin Tubb: Bad, Bad Leroy Brown
Tom T. Hall: I Love

6:45: Rudy's
Roy Drusky (host): A Satisfied Mind
Billy Walker: I've Changed My Mind
Jeanne Pruett: Satin Sheets
Roy Drusky (host): Second Hand Rose

7:00: Rudy's
George Jones (host) and Tammy Wynette: We're Gonna Hold On
Tammy Wynette: Another Lonely Song

Stu Phillips: There Must Be Another Way To Say Goodbye
Bill Carlisle: I'm Moving
George Jones: Once You've Had The Best
George Jones and Tammy Wynette: We're Not The Jet Set

Stu Phillips: If Loving You Means Anything
Tammy Wynette: Stand By Your Man
George Jones: White Lightening

7:30: Standard Candy
Roy Acuff (host): Wabash Cannonball
Stonewall Jackson: Don't Be Angry
Charlie Walker: Wanting My Woman Again
Willis Brothers: Truck Stop
Crook Brothers and The Tennessee Travelers: Cotton Eyed Joe
Roy Acuff and Brother Oswald: They Cut Down The Old Pine Tree
Charlie Walker: Pick Me Up On Your Way Down
Roy Acuff: I'll Fly Away

8:00: Martha White
Lester Flatt (host): Country Boy
Charlie Louvin: You're My Wife; She's My Woman
Bob Luman: Still Loving You
Lonzo and Oscar: Traces of Life
Charlie Nixon: I'll Be All Smiles Tonight
Charlie Louvin: Freight Train Boogie
Bob Luman: Guitar Man
Kenny Ingram: Cumberland Gap

8:30: Stephens
Hank Snow (host): Hello Love
Bill Monroe: I'm Working On A Building
Bobby Bare: Ride Me Down Easy
Jimmy C Newman: Big Mamou
Marion Worth: Delta Dawn
Fruit Jar Drinkers: Soldier's Joy
Bill Monroe: Uncle Pen
Bobby Bare: Detroit City
Hank Snow: I'm Moving On

2nd show
9:30: Kellogg's
Billy Walker (host): Things
Willis Brothers: Truck Stop
Jeanne Pruett: Love Me
Billy Walker: I've Changed My Mind
Skeeter Willis: Maiden's Prayer
Jeanne Pruett: Satin Sheets
Billy Walker: How Great Thou Art

10:00: Fender
Jim Ed Brown (host): Sometimes Sunshine
Charlie Walker: Wanting My Woman Again
Stu Phillips: Pride
Jim Ed Brown: Why Me Lord

10:15: Union 76
Roy Acuff (host): Little Pal
Jimmy C Newman: Potato Song
Roy Acuff: Back In The Country

10:30: Trailblazer
Lester Flatt (host): Rollin' In My Sweet Baby's Arms
Bob Luman: Lonely Women Make Good Lovers
Bill Carlisle: No Help Wanted
Lester Flatt and Marty Stuart: The Bluebirds Singing For Me

10:45: Beechnut
Bill Monroe (host): I'll Never Love No One Else but My Darling
Lonzo and Oscar: Lonesome Road Blues
Crook Brothers and The Tennessee Travelers: Arkansas Traveler
Bill Monroe: Life's Railway To Heaven

11:00: Coca Cola
Hank Snow (host): I Don't Hurt Anymore
Charlie Louvin: I Don't Believe You've Met My Baby/Don't Laugh/ My Baby's Gone/When I Stop Dreaming
Fruit Jar Drinkers: Bill Cheatham
Charlie Louvin: You're My Wife; She's My Woman
Sam McGee: Farewell Blues/Alabama Jubilee/Just Because
Hank Snow: It's Over Over Nothing At All

11:30: Elm Hill
Bobby Bare (host): The Long Black Veil
Justin Tubb: That's The Way Love Goes/Rambling Man
Bobby Bare: The Mermaids
Marion Worth: Delta Dawn/Go On Home
Bobby Bare: Blowing In The Wind/Worried Man Blues/Gotta Travel On/Detroit City

(Tom T. Hall, Roy Drusky George Jones, Tammy Wynette and Stonewall Jackson appeared only on the first show. Because of all that, Jimmy C Newman and Marion Worth were moved out of the 11:00 segment, with Jimmy appearing at 10:15 to replace Stonewall, and Marion moving to 11:30). 


There you have it for this week. As always, thanks for reading and commenting and I hope everyone enjoys the Grand Ole Opry this weekend. 



6 comments:

  1. Glad you're better, Byron!

    Gotta mention I heard a recording of a 1973 Opry broadcast where Marion Worth sang "Delta Dawn," and she really nailed it. It reminded me how good she was.

    Funny thing. Mr. Acuff got the name "King of the Hillbillies" from Dizzy Dean, who had, of course, been a great pitcher and then a legendarily ungrammatical baseball broadcaster. The song he sang with Oswald led to a favorite phrase of another broadcaster from the South, Arch McDonald, who did the Washington Senators. When they would turn a rare double play, he would say, "They cut down the old pine tree."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, thanks for mentioning Marion Worth. I do think I have that same recording. Marion was one of those very underrated Opry members. She had a hit with "Shake Me, I Rattle," but never seemed to have any real chart success after that. I thought she had a nice voice and while I never saw her live on the Opry, I understand that she was always well received.

      Delete
  2. I would have bet money Bobby Bare had given up Opry membership by this point in 1974. Wonder if he was guesting? Or just had not officially left yet?

    Also, a thought came to mind regarding Ray Stevens discontinuing his CabaRay venue and “slowing down”? Could we see a new Opry member? He’s made several guests appearances in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Bobby Bare and Tom T. Hall were both members up until the last night at the Ryman and then immediately resigned their membership before the move to the new Opry House. I could be wrong, but I think Bare even played that last night at the Ryman.

      Delete
    2. As you will see in some of the upcoming lineups, Bobby Bare remained an Opry member right up until the move on March 16. As noted, Bobby did appear on the Opry on the final Friday night at the Ryman.

      As to Tom T Hall, he actually did appear on the Opry after the move to the new Grand Ole Opry House. His last Opry show would come in June, a couple of months after the move.

      Delete
  3. Really enjoyed hearing Connie do My Heart Has A Mind Of It's Own last night. It was never a single release as far as I can tell but was included in her 1967 LP Downtown Country (Arranged and conducted by Bill Walker) That LP generated the #3 hit The Hurtin's All Over written by Harlan Howard. The song was used as the title to a 1971 RCA Camden LP reissuing some of her past recordings.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete